Gabe's Jeeps

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Re: Gabe's Jeeps

Post by Nikkormat »

Alright I've tracked down my rear axle! Time to start making progress on this thing.

Up front I'll be running a K20 Dana 44 HD (with the 3" .5" wall axle tubes) open with 4.10's and 6 lug outers from a late FSJ 44. If my math and other peoples measurements are right that should wind up at 67.5" WMS (stock is 64.5" with less backspacing). Why do all that you ask? Slightly beefier center section and axle tubes than the stock axle, slightly wider than the stock axle to keep the tires from rubbing the springs at full lock when I go to 12.50 wide tires, the Chevy axle already has SOA perches at the correct width, and aside from a new set of calipers and pads It's all parts that I've got laying around in my junk pile! The Chevy housing came free with some crap I bought and resold over the summer. I'm still looking into their effectiveness; but I would also like to run IRO's almost alloy kit on the front shafts for a little extra piece of mind. The kit consists of several small tabs you weld onto the yoke ears to help keep them from deforming. More info here: https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product ... y-kit.html
Still need to figure out who's high steer arms to run. Would prefer to run Sky's keyed arms but I need to do some research regarding backspacing...

The rear housing is coming from my old 73 J4000 I owned for a while: Image
So it's a semi float dana 60-2, non c clip, with 35 spline axle shafts and SET80 wheel bearings. Way bigger than a dana 44 SET10 bearing; the SET80 is used in the heavy duty dana 44 variant in the Nissan Titan, trick 40 spline ford 9" stuff, and Dynatrac's ProRock 60 rear axles. I'm essentially making a home made ProRock 60 rear end! In stock form this axles weak points are the dana 44 sized 2 3/4" axle tubes, and discontinued unmaintainable 12x2 brakes. A truss will take care of the axle tubes weakness and will keep everything much lighter than a full float rear end like a 14 bolt. I expect this 60 to only be 50 lbs heavier than the stock 44 totally decked out. And if you were to truss the 44 (which I would have done if I were keeping it) the weight difference would be even less.
The 60-2 is already 4.10, has the correct yoke and offset to bolt to my stock drive shaft, and the perches are in the correct location to bolt up. The catch here is the lug pattern is 5x5.50 and there are no stock brakes I can run. I need to get the housing home and cleaned up so I can come up with a solution to the brakes and lug pattern. If there isn't an access hole in the flange I can get the stock axle re drilled to 6x5.5, but the spacing might be wrong to run any available rotors. Worst case scenario I know I can get alloy shafts custom made by Dutchman for $370 delivered to my door with studs and retainer plates in whatever dimensions I want but I'd prefer the cheaper option of re drilling the stock shafts. 1.5" 35 spline shafts should hold up to lots more abuse that this truck will dish out on 36" tires without going to alloy's.

So the shopping list for the axles and suspension so far...

$300 - Rear 60-2 and some other truck parts (there's sentimental value in using my old trucks axle too)
$??? - Inner shaft seals for the front 44
$??? - Front u joints and ball joints
$??? - High steer, links, and associated machining costs
$??? - New lug studs, JB7 calipers and hoses, pads
$430 - Torq lunchbox locker
$??? - Rear brakes...
$??? - Springs and hangers for the rear
Last edited by Nikkormat on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Over winter break I hope to install a new pump and seal into the transmission, and put new wheels or tires on the truck. That'll get it on the road again! Note to self: 4.25" backspacing!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Don't mind me, just saving links for later. High strength AX15 using Toyota parts...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-t ... -ax15.html

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2972.0

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

Hey Gabe, Just checking in on you. Hope all is well and you're having a good holiday season.
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Hey Brad! How are you? How's my old chief?

I'm doing well, just wrapping up finals up here in Montana. Getting ready for a road trip with my buddy this weekend in his untested XJ. Moab!

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Nikkormat wrote:Hey Brad! How are you? How's my old chief?

I'm doing well, just wrapping up finals up here in Montana. Getting ready for a road trip with my buddy this weekend in his untested XJ. Moab!
You coming “home” for Christmas?

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

I still have it. I have the white '79 too. I have been trail riding the 79 for a year or so. rebuilt another 360 for it and new clutch, fuel system, etc.

I haven't touched the Orange Crush. I finished building my house this year, so it's time to start on it. I do have the 401 built for it and have sourced most of the interior. I got some tires this week. Next week is vacation week. I'm going to try to jam on it.

I also bought a 77 Trailduster. I have a soft spot in my heart for those late 70's Dodges.

A friend of mine did Moab in an xj cherokee. He had the best time and sent me the most amazing pics. Hope you'll post some too.
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

You coming “home” for Christmas?
Yep, to get the blue 91 ready to leave. I'm driving it back to Montana or walking!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

CheapJeepBrad wrote:

I still have it. I have the white '79 too. I have been trail riding the 79 for a year or so. rebuilt another 360 for it and new clutch, fuel system, etc.

I haven't touched the Orange Crush. I finished building my house this year, so it's time to start on it. I do have the 401 built for it and have sourced most of the interior. I got some tires this week. Next week is vacation week. I'm going to try to jam on it.

I also bought a 77 Trailduster. I have a soft spot in my heart for those late 70's Dodges.

A friend of mine did Moab in an xj cherokee. He had the best time and sent me the most amazing pics. Hope you'll post some too.
Awesome! Glad to hear that the 79 is out running trails again. You'll have to post up some pictures of it.

How'd the house turn out? Get yourself a nice workspace carved in there?

Can't wait to see Orange Crush put back together! I was worried about letting go of a Jeep I had chased for so long, but you're the right home for it.

Is that a 440 ram charger? If I was going to build something blazer/big bronco size I would pick a ram charger instead. Unique styling and the steel removable hard top are all wins in my book. I used to be kind of a Mopar hater, but I've learned that what I really hated was the Daimler-Chrysler era. I think a 70's Mopar will be in my fleet sooner or later.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »