Gabe's Jeeps

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Gabe's Jeeps

Post by Nikkormat »

The goal here is to start a new build thread that covers my J10 and whatever projects need done on my other FSJ's. Things have changed a lot since the last time I started a build thread. I've gone through four Wagoneers, two engines, two transmissions, and ended up buying an XJ as a DD/Overlander instead of building a Waggy. I've also bought a pretty beat up J10 after chasing the craigslist seller for two months. So, here's the fleet as of September 2018.

The original and still awesome 1974 Cherokee. 401, Quadratrac, and a really beat body and frame. Image

The unsaleable rust free 1986 Wagoneer I rescued from a field up in Kalispell Montana. Image

I still have the 1990 Wagoneer down in Colorado that either needs to be fixed or torn apart the rest of the way. Image

I re-bought and have found a perfect home for the Spinnaker Blue 1991, need to finish installing the drive train and drive it up to Montana. Image

Here's my baby jeep. I've put 15k miles on it since January with only minor maintenance. Driving around without a mess of tools and parts is a new feeling! Image
Last edited by Nikkormat on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Re: Gabe's Jeeps

Post by Nikkormat »

And then there's the J10! I bought this POS after badgering the seller for two months. Dealing with alcoholics is tough but I got attached to the poor Jeep's story and had to rescue it. Best as I can tell, she spent her youth hauling a truckbed camper around the southwest. It has an ancient lift that was made for hauling something around 1500 lbs. With a load in the bed it rides like a Cadillac, empty it rides like a dually dodge. Right now it's sitting on Q78-16 Swampers and clears them perfectly. Came on a set of very dry rotted 34x9.50 Swampers that looked tiny on it. Here's a few pictures:

The sellers pictures that got me hooked. Image Image Image

Some kids bought it from the original owner and four wheeled the piss out of the truck in the 80's. They broke the low range unit and parked it in a field. Then (according to the seller) he bought it in 1998 and got her running again. According to him, he used the truck to smuggle bails of weed over the Colorado-New Mexico border for a few years before he blew the 401 running from someone (I don't know how much of this story I believe but there were a LOT of roaches in the cab!). He bought a rebuilt 360 for it and tried to install it himself. The truck then sat from 2003 to 2009; he got it almost on the road (bought new tires and everything) and then for some reason stopped. Fast forward 9 years to 2018 and he sent it to a friends shop to get ready to sell. He posts it on craigslist and gets lots of interest but it's hard to sell something from jail. Dude got in a bar fight and spent a month in county jail. :roll:

It's important to note, I was in school up in Missoula and Wyatt back home made this deal possible by volunteering his time for the love of Jeeps!

I called the number on the add the day after he got out of "The Hospital" and asked for more pictures, etc... and never heard back. Called back a few days later and he didn't remember who I was but he told me if I western-unioned him $500 he'd mail me the title. Which obviously I wasn't crazy about and was not willing to do. Weeks go by without the guy answering the phone. I called every couple of days and finally one day he answers! He explained that he went to Oregon for a "Business Trip" and that his friend the mechanic had finished the Jeep. We arranged for Wyatt to go down and meet his sister to buy the Jeep. Now, the craigslist add said $1000. Suspecting he was going to stick us with the mechanics bill I had my mom get $1500 out of my account and Wyatt picked it up on his way down to Woodland Park. Upon arrival there were of course, surprises.

The "Brand new man!" tires were sketchy at best.
The "Little rock damage" was more like moderate boulder damage. Image
The "About like a pack of cigs" rust hole could swallow a kitten. Image
Other than that it wasn't too bad for a $1000 J truck. ImageImage

After some deliberation Wyatt worked on test driving and I called the guy to haggle. He then hits me with "So since I had the shop fix the overheating issue (which he hadn't mentioned previously) how about $1200 and the $700 mechanics bill?" After asking if he was joking i told him "No way dude." and that I'd call him back after the test drive. Wyatt called back "The battery was dead, threw in my spare and she's got no gears." We troubleshot for a few minutes and determined the transmission was empty. They went to get fluid and I called the seller back. I explained that if the Jeep had been as described I would have honestly payed $1900 for the Jeep. But with the lack of safe tires, working battery, the massive dent, and the hole in the floor I wasn't paying any more than $1200 total (which I felt was a generous offer). And only if the transmission came back to life. He wasn't thrilled. After some name calling he said he'd think about it.
Wyatt applying some "Tough Love" to the transmission hoping to get the gears to come back. Image
After adding a full fill worth of fluid to the transmission it mostly worked! I called back the seller "So you guys will do $1500 right"? to which I replied "Nope. My guy will give your sister $1200 or I'll send them home." "Well how about $1200 but you Western Union the money to me in Oregon and she mails you the title?" I was unwilling to simply trust the title would show up and that the mechanic wouldn't try to lien the title after this guy didn't pay his bill. I said "Look man, $1200 CASH to your sister or we walk." To which he replied "Fine BEEP YOU I'll call my sister and tell her to do the deal." Luckily his sister was lovely to deal with. She and Wyatt tendered the deal drama free and she paid the mechanic on the spot giving us a copy of the receipt just in case. They loaded up, bought extra ATF, and promptly overheated 2 miles down the road. :fsj:

Wyatt had 64 miles of winding mountain roads to go to get home. The plates were only 5 years expired and had started life on another vehicle, the tires had cracks to make the Grand Canyon jealous, and there was no cell phone service the whole drive. What could possibly go wrong! Normally the drive from Woodland Park to Evergreen would take an hour and a half. They left at three and I didn't hear from them until eleven that night. Getting it home that night was quite the adventure. They overheated every five miles or so and had to stop to let it cool. They took the hood off a few overheats into the journey, and used the South Platte river to refill the collection of milk jugs they were using to keep the radiator full. Can you say Roadkill? I flew in to town for my birthday a week and half later and finally got to play with the new Jeep. Installed a new fan clutch, radiator, reinstalled a thermostat, and spent 3 hours undoing the shops fix for the broken thermostat housing bolt. :banghead: After that I decided to figure out why none of the gauges worked. Image Image After rewiring the dash I have yet to reinstall the cluster; but it has only caught fire once since I messed with it so I'm calling this project a win.

Got it registered and took it up to Storm Mountain to see Blake. Where we discovered the low range was good and buggered. Image
Last edited by Nikkormat on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Reserving Space
Last edited by Nikkormat on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Reserving Space
Last edited by Nikkormat on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Reserving Space

will e

Post by will e »

Reserving space...
just kidding!

Hey, is that 74 Cherokee one that you drove to Ouray one year?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

When you have to reserve space for future jeeps in your hoard, the sickness is REAL!!
Thanks for getting that Jtruck instead of me. I wouldn't have had the patience with the guy and getting the weed smell out of a truck would be a deal breaker for me.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

will e wrote:Reserving space...
just kidding!

Hey, is that 74 Cherokee one that you drove to Ouray one year?
Yes it is! It's still kicking.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:When you have to reserve space for future jeeps in your hoard, the sickness is REAL!! Image
Thanks for getting that Jtruck instead of me. I wouldn't have had the patience with the guy and getting the weed smell out of a truck would be a deal breaker for me.
Getting that truck was a PAIN! It's safe now though. :-bd

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Updated post two to have the whole story on Jeep retrieval.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

A little hint of what is, hopefully, coming. Image

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Here's a chart of new midsize quad cab 6 foot bed pickups, and then some Jeep dimensions.

Make / Model - Length - Wheelbase
GMC Canyon - 224.60 - 140.50

Nissan Frontier - 219.40 - 139.90

Toyota Tacoma - 225.50 - 140.60

AEV Brute JKU - 216.00 - 139.00 Only has a 5' bed

Market Average - 221.38 - 140.00

Jeep J10 7' Bed - 194.00 - 118.80

J10 Quad Cab 6' - 215.25 - 140.05

Austin's Quad Cab - 239.25 - 164.05 J4000 with an 8' bed http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... f=12&t=488

So dimensionally my proposed 4 door 6' bed J10 would be very similar to current midsize pickups. And it's nearly identical to the AEV Brute 4 door which only has a 5' bed. How do we calculate these dimensions? Well according to Austin4x4 in his J4000 four door build, adding the rear doors added 33.25" of total length to his truck. Because I want to make the whole jeep a little shorter I'm going to shorten the bed 12". So we add 21.25" to all of the dimensions of a short bed J10 and boom. We've got the dimensions this truck would be. Let's compare some more specifications of these current truck to set goals for the J10 Quad Cab drive train.

GMC Canyon Gas - 3.6L Gas V6 HP: 308 @ 6800 TQ: 275 @ 4000
Canyon Diesel - 2.8L Turbo Diesel I4 HP: 181 @ 3400 TQ: 369 @ 2000

Nissan Frontier - 4.0L Gas V6 HP: 261 HP @ 5600 TQ: 281 @ 4000

Toyota Tacoma - 3.5L Gas V6 HP: 278 hp @ 6000 TQ: 265 @ 4600

tedlovesjeeps71

If you need donor cabs (for the roof) FN Jeep has a few. Probably get them fairly cheap-ish?

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:If you need donor cabs (for the roof) FN Jeep has a few. Probably get them fairly cheap-ish?
They always seem to try and charge me out the nose for stuff, I've got a source for cab roofs up here but I'm not going to start aquiring them until I'm ready to make the quadcab happen. Lots to do before then!

tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:If you need donor cabs (for the roof) FN Jeep has a few. Probably get them fairly cheap-ish?
They always seem to try and charge me out the nose for stuff, I've got a source for cab roofs up here but I'm not going to start aquiring them until I'm ready to make the quadcab happen. Lots to do before then!
I totally understand. He seems like he will either cut ya a deal or expect you to pay off his house. No rhyme or reason. He does tend to have stuff if ya get in a bind. Figured I'd let ya know he had em.
Hurry up and get working on this... Im excited! Haha! The sooner you finish, the sooner it gets to Ouray!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:
I totally understand. He seems like he will either cut ya a deal or expect you to pay off his house. No rhyme or reason. He does tend to have stuff if ya get in a bind. Figured I'd let ya know he had em.
Hurry up and get working on this... Im excited! Haha! The sooner you finish, the sooner it gets to Ouray!

Thanks for the heads up on em! I'm hoping this will make Ouray in quadcab form within six years. I'm hoping it makes it next year in it's current form!

tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on em! I'm hoping this will make Ouray in quadcab form within six years. I'm hoping it makes it next year in it's current form!
This all based off that white one? You should keep the super swampers on it just for memory sake. Hahaha

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

This all based off that white one? You should keep the super swampers on it just for memory sake. Hahaha
It'll have the swampers till they're bald. They are scary on the highway! Hauled a Dana 60 and some other junk to a guy down the hill and it was the scariest driving experience of my life. This thing doesn't death wobble, it death gallops!

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

an.. move to Montana and went nuts! I couldn’t convince the better half to house anywhere near that many projects. I have them stored away all over the south east and not nearly as many! Good on you for saving them. Look forward to seeing the 4-door build. 66 out in Spokane is working on one now, if you need inspiration.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

jpswapmohn wrote:an.. move to Montana and went nuts! I couldn’t convince the better half to house anywhere near that many projects. I have them stored away all over the south east and not nearly as many! Good on you for saving them. Look forward to seeing the 4-door build. 66 out in Spokane is working on one now, if you need inspiration.
I didn't have to move up here to be nuts, I've always been nuts! :-bd