So I had this idea kicking around for quite some time

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ScottsMojo

So I had this idea kicking around for quite some time

Post by ScottsMojo »

and decided to give it a shot. I have never been a fan of the stock FSJ fan shroud as it leaves ALOT to be desired from an efficiency standpoint, as the bottom is open, fan to shroud clearance is excessive, and the shroud depth to fan not the best. Yes, it aids in pulling air through the rad, but it is inefficient.

So I decided to build my own, full shroud.

Basic idea was a full shroud to fit my lift/engine/radiator placement. If it looks "off" to what you are used to seeing, it is... :D

View of bottom of shroud. Smiley face pencil is for reference only...

Trimmed and partially riveted

Riveted and test fit on old radiator

I rolled a ring out of 3/16 round to support the trailing edge of the shroud. Welding was interesting, as I used 20 or 22ga flashing to build the shroud.

This is to provide clearance for the trans cooler fittings. Yes, its a crappy photo.

And prelim position of both trans fitting closeouts. Another crappy Crackberry photo.

And this is progress thus far. Next up is to test fit into Schwag and establish proper location for trans fitting closeouts and final side bracket closeouts.

Finally, I would like to thank Mia for her undying support through all of this! :-bd

More photos to come as things progress!

Gumby

Re: So I had this idea kicking around for quite some time

Post by Gumby »

That sems like a very good idea I had something similar until I repaired the one I have.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nice work. Make sure you have enough fan clearance as our frames are not what I would call rigid, which is why the factory one had so much clearance around it. When the chassis flexes the fan moves around inside the shroud.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

When I made mine out of metal I did it the same as your. But then when I had to work on the front of the engine [water pump etc.] you has to fight
it to get the fan off. So when I had it out the third time, I cut it in half and put tabs on it so I could remove half of it to get to the fan. Don't think I will not be pulling this again, because you will :D .

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Stuka wrote:Nice work. Make sure you have enough fan clearance as our frames are not what I would call rigid, which is why the factory one had so much clearance around it. When the chassis flexes the fan moves around inside the shroud.
I 'THINK' i took engine/frame flex into consideration and provided enough clearance, but the tolerance is def tighter than the factory set-up. I also installed a hd clutch fan set-up off a 70-80's BBC truck last year and I think that fan is a little larger in diameter that the stocker.
jsinajeep wrote:I cut it in half and put tabs on it so I could remove half of it to get to the fan. Don't think I will not be pulling this again, because you will :D .
I have not done it yet (waiting to complete the shroud with trans fitting closeouts and shroud to rad bracket closeouts) but my intention is to split it into two sections to facilitate maintenance chores.

rstep

Post by rstep »

Nice work, should workout good for you.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Broken motor mounts caused the bottom to be knocked out of the early ones so AMC made them that way on purpose after that.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

carnuck wrote:Broken motor mounts caused the bottom to be knocked out of the early ones so AMC made them that way on purpose after that.
Nothin' like addressing the root of the problem... :|

lindel

Post by lindel »

carnuck wrote:Broken motor mounts caused the bottom to be knocked out of the early ones so AMC made them that way on purpose after that.

Sounds very "Jeep" like... :roll:
Lindel

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Nothing like fixing one problem to create another!

Oh well, thats all part of the AMC charm. Maybe this weekend I can get more work done on the shroud and get it installed. As a single parent of three school-age children, spare time is a precious commodity as I am sure many of you know.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

ScottsMojo wrote:Nothing like fixing one problem to create another!

Oh well, thats all part of the AMC charm. Maybe this weekend I can get more work done on the shroud and get it installed. As a single parent of three school-age children, spare time is a precious commodity as I am sure many of you know.
Hats off to you...We can't find spare time with just a 7mo old...

fan shroud looks good, anxious to see more!

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Well, summers all but over so its time to continue on with my fan shroud project. BTW, went the full summer without a single coolant issue, so some of the delay was just that - I wanted to get a feel how Schwag performed without the shroud in a variety of conditions, including 110 degree plus summer heat. I also like to combine projects to get the best bang for my buck and today my new manifold gasket set came in (front seal weeping) so its time to get this all done while the coolant is drained.
Top of shroud where it will meet the rad. I will have a protective edge on that sheetmetal to protect the rad, or maybe a return flange. Jury is still out on that one.
Drivers side view - still have closeouts to fit up against rad support brkts
The engines view of the shroud
Trans cooler fitting closeout - will use 45 fitting off of trans for clearance
Trans fitting closeouts
Upside down view of bottom of shroud. Shroud will be full, interested to see how it performs
Welp, thats all I have at the moment. Might try to get this finished in the next couple weeks.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Coming along very nicely :)
2017 JKU Rubicon

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Yes, it look good. In one of the earlier post someone mention about the motor mount going bad and taking
the bottom of the old style out. When I did my metal[Alum] one, I put a small chain around the motor mount
so it could not take mine out.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Nice!

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

jsinajeep wrote:Yes, it look good. In one of the earlier post someone mention about the motor mount going bad and taking
the bottom of the old style out. When I did my metal[Alum] one, I put a small chain around the motor mount
Yea, I saw that but im not too concerned. I think the reason AMC didn't use a full shroud is because its a PITA getting around those trans cooler fittings!

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

ScottsMojo wrote:
jsinajeep wrote:Yes, it look good. In one of the earlier post someone mention about the motor mount going bad and taking
Yea, I saw that but im not too concerned. I think the reason AMC didn't use a full shroud is because its a PITA getting around those trans cooler fittings!
You are probabilitly right able the PITA. But I have broke a set of mount since I put the chain on.

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Some progress tonite, not much. Checked fit on radiator, trans cooler fitting clearance.
Upper tank fitment
Lower closeout, this will mount to the rad brkt

Almost there, I need to finish the closeout between the tank and top of the rad mount, then final fit. I was thinking today that as this was constructed against the original radiator that there could be some differences between this and the current rad. We shall find out soon enough. :-ss

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Finished up the trans cooler mount this afternoon. Need to pick up some hose and then I can scratch this off the list.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347831183.826321.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347831205.595268.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347831237.459114.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Where did that trans cooler come from? Its a pretty good sized one.
2017 JKU Rubicon