77 wagoneer dd

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

toothofwar

Re: 77 wagoneer dd

Post by toothofwar »

If my assumptions is correct, the little black box is a spair key hiding spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

My phone didnt want to upload pics before, but yeah, spare key makes sense now.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dave Knoerzer
1977 Wagoneer 360/400/QT stock as far as I can tell

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I like the golf tee. You are always ready to hit the links in your Wagoneer. I found a screw in one of mine, don't think it would work as well as a golf tee though! I have since just capped that port off at the carb.

How's the battery situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

1979bettywhite wrote:

How's the battery situation?

The battery was dead as dead can be, so I pulled it and charged it over night, it's showing about 11 point something volts now. I'm going to try to get it started this afternoon because an old barn by me is getting torn down so I want to get a picture of the wag in front of it, and steal a couple boards for a coffee table. I'm going to take a look at the starter while the battery is out, as well as replace the relay. As long as I can get it to start to get to the mechanic next week it's good for now, then I've got all winter to go through the entire electrical system.
Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Got it back on the road and drove my an old farm down the road that's being torn down for a new development.
ImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

So I found this under my rear carpet. Nice to see not too much moisture got in there over the years. It will be interesting to do a little research to translate some of the less obvious info. I was wondering about axle ratio, looks like the 3.07.

Dave Knoerzer

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Yep, 3.07 ratio, which was pretty common. Cool find. Maybe frame that one, throw in the glove box and take to any shows?

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

1979bettywhite wrote:Yep, 3.07 ratio, which was pretty common. Cool find. Maybe frame that one, throw in the glove box and take to any shows?
That's a good idea. I was nervous to pull the carpet, so it was nice finding this gem instead of a hole I could crawl through. I know 3.07 isn't the most desirable, but for a daily driver with no overdrive it'll be good.
Dave Knoerzer

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Still a perfectly fine ratio if you continue to leave things virtually stock-ish. There are a lot of things I have been nervous about in doing to my Chief, but the more I do, the more my confidence builds. Just need to keep increasing the complexity to continue learning.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

Those are great pictures with the barn!
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

DustinLangston wrote:Those are great pictures with the barn!
Thanks, I got lucky with good lighting and the Jeep and bard did the rest.
Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Welp, I'm dropping the wag off at the mechanic this weekend to reseal my engine, then leaving on a honeymoon for 2 weeks so I won't see the Jeep for 3 weeks. It only has 61k miles and runs like a champ so I'm not doing a rebuild or much in the way of upgrades for now, but i want to replace some of the small inexpensive stuff that has to come off anyways. Here's my plan/parts list:
Top end gaskets
Bottom end gaskets
Freeze plugs
Timing chain
Oil pressure sender
Engine mounts
Egr valve
Egr CTO
PCV valve

Hopefully he doesn't discover anything concerning. So far the only issue is a lot of mild leaks, EVERYWHERE. I have paperwork that the transmission was recently serviced from the PO, then once I get it back home I need to drop the tcase to reseal it and replace the mounts.
Dave Knoerzer

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Have fun on the honeymoon! Nice to come back to a non leaking jeep. But it's just a matter of time to she starts claiming her spot again

Why not go ahead and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Finally an update! After new seals top to bottom, a new timing chain, and some fresh paint the engine is back in the Jeep!ImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

1979bettywhite wrote:
Why not go ahead and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

First thought was "I dunno, didn't realize that was a thing." After doing a bit of reading on here, I'm not sure whether I want to do that or not, but not now. I've got a long way to go just getting it ready for daily use. I'm hoping to have it home soon though!
Dave Knoerzer

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Pretty.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

So I started disassembling the back of the jeep to fix some rust areas and apply some undercoating to the body, and found some interesting mods. Apparently some po welded the back of the body to the rear crossmember with a piece of angle and threaded rod. That's great though, because I wanted to spend even more time underneath there with a grinder.

Pretty sure it got rear ended at some point. I need to repair where the tailgate closes on the driver side, its bent back a bit.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the 2 big holes in the rear wheel wells are? Theres one one each side, and it almost looks like it was supposed to part of the seat latch mechanism, but now they're siliconed closed. Can I just weld in a patch or am I missing something that's supposed to hold down my rear seat?ImageImageImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

1979bettywhite

77 wagoneer dd

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Those would be the rear seat belt ratcheting mounts. It also doubles as the hold down for the latch for the rear seat. I can take a picture of mine if you want to see what they looked like. What you are probably also missing is the large threaded block that was welded to the other side of the fender well to recieve the bolt. I recently removed all my belts back there. When I did the block and the welds somewhat crumbled in my hand. If I reinstall at a later date, will probably just through bolt it and use some large washers and a rubber groomet.

I found a 1" stainless plug for the holes in the fender wells. A little silicone around the edge and it seals nice. And I can remove it anytime and reinstall the rear belts.

Plug is this style. Although I found it at ACE for cheaper:

https://www.finditparts.com/products/82 ... cIEALw_wcB

Used the same style plug when I removed my stock roof rack to keep things water tight yet able to revert to stock down the road if I want.

Last edited by 1979bettywhite on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

1979bettywhite wrote:Those would be the rear seat belt ratcheting mounts. Of course the fixed buckle ends mounted to the floor. What you are probably missing is the large threaded block that was welded to the other side of the fender well to recieve the bolt. I recently removed all my belts back there. When I did the block and the welds somewhat crumbled in my hand. If I reinstall at a later date, will probably just through bolt it and use some large washers and a rubber groomet.

I found a 1" stainless plug for the holes in the fender wells. A little silicone around the edge and it seals nice. And I can remove it anytime and reinstall the rear belts.

Plug is this style. Although I found it at ACE for cheaper:

https://www.finditparts.com/products/82 ... cIEALw_wcB

Used the same style plug when I removed my stock roof rack to keep things water tight yet able to revert to stock down the road if I want.

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Slowly chipping away at disassembly in my free time. I got the rear bumper off (one bolt gave me a heck of a time and needed an additional overnight wd40 soak) the hitch off, and the fuel tank skid off. Next is the fuel tank and fuel filler system, then the driveshafts and tcase will come out so I can access as much underside as possible as well as replace the chain and seals on the tcase.

Also scored a tailgate off craigslist with WAY less rust and the trim pieces I was missing. The window doesn't have defog though so I'll have to swap my glass over.ImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer