77 wagoneer dd

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
superdave

Re: 77 wagoneer dd

Post by superdave »

Finished pulling belts and carpet. I found a couple small rust holes, but not too bad. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dave Knoerzer
1977 Wagoneer 360/400/QT stock as far as I can tell

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Yep, not too bad. Plans now? Other than the back seat of course.

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

I need to measure, remeasure, then remeasure again to cut out the rust in back, then I've got lower rear quarter patch panels to weld in. Then wire brush the interior and underneath. I'm really dreading the wire brush underneath. It's going to be a nasty job. Needs to be done though, if I hog the garage much longer my new tire budget it going to go to a remote start for my wife's car!
Dave Knoerzer

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Lol. I am also dreading the underside. Nothing worse than rust, mud, and dirt falling all over you. Getting in all the crevices. But want to protect it as much as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

I couldn't resist picking up some parts yesterday.ImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Nice! What parts are you planning to use? I know someone on here was looking for those highly prized vent windows.

Grille looks to be in nice shape as well.

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

1979bettywhite wrote:Nice! What parts are you planning to use? I know someone on here was looking for those highly prized vent windows.

Grille looks to be in nice shape as well.
I'm planning on yanking the drive train. Has a 4 speed and big boy axles. Also has a sweet factory radio with built in cb. I did see someone looking for vent windows, as well as a bench maybe. There will certainly be parts for sale after I get it all sorted out.

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Picked up the front seats this afternoon. Time to start measuring up to get everything mounted. Also saw a sweet j10 with a plow and an old FC on my way back from the middle of nowhere.Image

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Working on opening up the rear wheel wells to fit the Tahoe seat. The cargo area in a Tahoe is 49 inches wide, I opened mine up to an even 50. My original plan was to just make a small notch to accommodate the seat, but it seemed less complicated to trim all the way back. With the 2" body lift planned and a small (.5"?) wheel spacer everything should fit nicely and I'll be able to fit a sheet of plywood in back, which will come in handy. I will have to modify the fuel vent tube running up the driver side.ImageImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Test fit the rear seat. Pretty happy with how it sits in there. ImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Looks nice and comfy! Keep it up! Hopefully the cockpit will have some equally comfy seating.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Looks nice and comfy! Keep it up! Hopefully the cockpit will have some equally comfy seating.

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Things are coming together here. I have the body lift half installed (PO welded the back of the body to the rear crossmember with a foot long threaded rod so it became a 2 day project). The caged nuts on the 2 read mounts broke loose and the boxes around them are rusted out so I need to fabricate new ones with some tube.
I also went with straight cutting the back instead of putting in the patch panels after seeing some similar mods on other jeeps. Later I'll make a wrap around bumper, kind mimicking the higher cut panels and wrap around bumper on a wj. This will help keep the original lines.
Once the body lift is done I'll be able to weld in the sub frame for the back seat and bolt it in. Then on to front seat brackets.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Finally rolled it out for some fresh air. Got the rear seat squared away and the headliner out. Found a nice mouse nest in there, good thing I wasn't directly underneath when I started pulling it down. Found a good but of rust inside the roof and the headliner cardboard was water stained and soft, but we got rain snow and everything in between yesterday and the inside of the jeep looks dry. Ti.e to clean everything up and get it coated so it can hit the road again.ImageImageImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Haven't accomplished a whole lot with it raining every day, but the interior is coming together. Also working on getting the gas tank plumbed in, but waiting on a couple parts for that. The floor is coated with POR15, Eastwood's spray-on sound and temp barrier, then some roll-in bedliner. The ceiling has POR15 and Eastwood's match. I'm pretty happy with how the seats fit, but I still need to build brackets for the passenger seat.ImageImageImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Looking great! That mouse nest in the headliner looks awfully familiar. Same situation in my truck's cab.

One totally unimportant question: Did your truck come with a black rally steering wheel with the rest of the interior being brown? I know it could have been swapped in but it's the second time this week I noticed a black rally wheel in a non-black interior. I've seen the rally steering wheels in blue, black, and red, but now I'm wondering if they actually wrapped them in the brown leather or lookalike leather?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

twisted frame wrote:Looking great! That mouse nest in the headliner looks awfully familiar. Same situation in my truck's cab.

One totally unimportant question: Did your truck come with a black rally steering wheel with the rest of the interior being brown? I know it could have been swapped in but it's the second time this week I noticed a black rally wheel in a non-black interior. I've seen the rally steering wheels in blue, black, and red, but now I'm wondering if they actually wrapped them in the brown leather or lookalike leather?
The J truck I parted out had the exact same nest!

Well, it came to me with the black steering wheel. Everything else was brown/tan, including carpet, seats, and door panels. I think I've seen one with almost the same interior as mine but a matching brown wheel, similar to the color of the dash. Fortunately for me, I thought it was too much brown before and plan on black carpet, and the black wheel will look nice.
Dave Knoerzer

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I may have missed it, but what did those front seats come from? Lots of options built in those.
And please share pictures of your front seat brackets. I have a set of 09 Overland Grand Cherokee seat i want to put in my wagon, but the mounting brackets are really screwing with me thanks to all the variations in the floorboard, especially that passenger seat floor!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

jpswapmohn wrote:I may have missed it, but what did those front seats come from? Lots of options built in those.
And please share pictures of your front seat brackets. I have a set of 09 Overland Grand Cherokee seat i want to put in my wagon, but the mounting brackets are really screwing with me thanks to all the variations in the floorboard, especially that passenger seat floor!
Tell me about it, I haven't built the passenger brackets yet. I'll get some pics tomorrow. The seats are from a 2006 BMW 6 series. The convertibles had built in belts, the coupes don't. I've been reading up on how to wire them up, that'll be the tough part. I love those brown overland seats you have, they're going to look really good.

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

jpswapmohn wrote:I may have missed it, but what did those front seats come from? Lots of options built in those.
Ok here's some pics of the seat brackets.
I played around with wood blocks to figure out the right height, then cut and drilled a base plate and top plate out of 3"x3/16" flat, then made a sort of bracket out of 2 pieces of 2x2 angle. The angle is spaced up with another piece of 3/16 flat on the bottom as well. Not pretty, but it worked. Eventually when my fabrication skills improve I'd like to redo them, but they'll work for now.ImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer