1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

twisted frame

Re: 1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Post by twisted frame »

The floors sure are looking good. Was the rot at the driver's left-foot area just on the floor or did you need to do some of the vertical kick panel area too?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

There was a little rot creep into the kick panel, but been mostly able to fill it with molten wire. The area behind the driver's seat where the floor meets the cab was actually the worst. This weekend I'm flipping the cab back on it's feet and hopefully getting the rest of the sheet metal replacement done. Excited about that. I will take some shots of the interior when I get it right side up.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

And now for the other side of the rear of the cab. This was trickier as the rot was much worse and everything seems to join together in the corner at odd angles. 3 pieces of steel (4 actually) formed and replaced including the cab back.

before:

Image[/url]1215182142b by highsiera, on Flickr

cancer removal:

Image[/url]1228182252b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1228182252a by highsiera, on Flickr

Skin grafts:

Image[/url]1230181741 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1230181741a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

The eight random holes you see are where the spot welds were drilled out to remove a third of the torque brace in the cab. The rust had got underneath it and it was better to take it out and replace the bad metal, then weld it back in. Two or three more weekends of welding and blasting and it could be ready for primer, but let's not get ahead of ourselves...

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Nice work on the patch panels! odd to see that much rust in the rear of cab almost always the front floors at least here in sunny California :)

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Great repair! That rear, bottom edge of the cab looked tough to do.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

The bends were done on an inexpensive metal brake from a certain discount tool store. The key is making the bend with plenty of metal on either side and trimming it down after. I was lucky to have enough good metal in the bends on the original cab edges so those didn't need to be reproduced.

Ok, so this weekend Sam and I got the cab back on it's feet which felt good. Added the final patch on the back of the cab and cleaned up the welds there.

Image[/url]0106191433c by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0106191434 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Also blasted the firewall and cab rear plus a bunch of small parts.

Image[/url]0106191433 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0106191433a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

There is a small piece of cab corner repair and a few other metal bits to fix as well. Maybe this coming weekend, they're calling for snow, so we'll see. As you might can see in the background, the frame is inside now. it's getting crowded in there. Just waiting on a few pieces to start bolting things together... a few pieces.. 4 to be exact....

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Winter, yuck. A few updates for the thread though. I had some rust through on the front corners of the cab roof. The stamped roof pan is REALLY thin here, so I ended up cutting patches and welding them in with lap joints. Slow and frustrating with some burn through even on the low voltage settings. I stopped counting hours after the second full night of working this area. Done now.

Image[/url]0217191953 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Also tackled a spot in the LH lower cab corner. These replacement panels just became available, so i though I'd try one. $85, available in a few places. Seemed a shame to cut out the section I needed and toss the rest, but it is what it is. The fit is good, but the metal is thin and burned through in a spot or two and I did end up with some panel warp towards the end. I'll chalk some of that up to operator error.

Image[/url]0119191610a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0119191609 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0119191608a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

At this point, the cab metal work is done. It's ready for epoxy primer. Then seam sealer, and the finesse body work.

In the meantime, the blasting booth has been busy. Piling up parts all ready for epoxy primer as well. Just waiting for a 60 plus degree day and a 50 plus night, hopefully the next few weeks will bring that

Image[/url]0223191722 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

In other developments, the engine has been crated up and shipped off to the builder. I will hopefully have some pics from him during that process to update the thread as well.

Image[/url]0118191050 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0121191101_Burst01 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

So that's where things are pretty much at right now. Some more blasting to do in the next 2 weekends. Waiting on leaf springs, maybe 3-4 weeks. and waiting on warmer weather to prime. Maybe i'll have some tangible progress to share by this time next month. Thanks for reading

Fleet Fox

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

That roof corner looks like a tough spot to handle. Thanks for the tips on the trouble spots you ran into. Sooner than later, I'll get a little flux core welder and start tackling my truck's floor. All the bodywork tips are appreciated!

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Spend the extra $$ if you can and go straight to MIG with a bottle is my opinion. This 18 gauge pressed sheet metal is just so thin everywhere. It's too easy to blow holes in it even with a 120 volt machine. I had the flux core for years, so i'm running what I have, but if I knew then, what i do now, I would have saved a few more pennies and bought a better machine.

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Had a bit of of warm spell here, so a couple of things are finally coming together. We a had "a" beautiful day last weekend, so quickly redid the blasting booth into a spray both and shot epoxy primer on most of the cab and front clip. Scrambled all afternoon to get stuff painted before my temperature window closed so no good pics, but here:

Image[/url]0310191709 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

But the best development of all, was the leaf springs arrived from BJ's !

Image[/url]0315191642 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

This is the first batch of kits made by Deaver. Really excited to get these. Installation was reasonably quick and painless given we were just working with a bare frame. Many thanks to my friend Sam who helped me lug the axles around the shop then torqued the nuts to spec while i enjoyed a chilled beverage...

Image[/url]0316191617a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

all done and on the rollers:

Image[/url]0316191617 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0316191618 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0316191618b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0316191619a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Now on to the finesse body work to conceal all the metal that's been replaced. Getting the primer on was a relief, now I don't have to worry about all the bare metal any more. Everything got wiped down with Opsho the day before "painting" and I'm really a big fan of the stuff. Epoxy primer was from the Omni line of PPG, which suited my needs well and was budget friendly. I'll skim the rough spots and repairs with Everglass and Rage filler then shoot another coat of epoxy over that. Then on to the 2k high build primer. Most everything is pretty straight at this point, so shouldn't take long... but probably getting ahead of myself. Also need to finish the steering linkage and the rear brakes. 1 step at a time. Thanks for looking,

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Back at it after a few weeks off. Most of my time has been spent continuing body work on the cab. The roof after first blocking looked like it had been tapped danced on during a hail storm, but I'm close to happy with it at this point. Front fenders, grill fascia, cowl screen are all primed and blocked. Been working on both doors here and there. I didn't realize how many "beauty" lines there are in these trucks until you start hand blocking everything. The most used tool has been a Magic Eraser as a sanding block with 320 the last few weeks. The hood is coming along as well, but still needs another solid day of finesse work: the haze might be a bad pic or sanding dust.. not sure...

Image[/url]0330191706 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

The bottom got another coat of epoxy, seam sealer, epoxy again, 2 coats black paint and under coat. Somewhere in between:

Image[/url]0330191705 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Off and on, when my hands get tired of sanding, front steering components are being bolted back on. Everything is new Moog parts, tie rod ends, drag link etc. Nothing to really show here. Dropped the cab back down into standard position and spent a couple days over the weekend smoothing all the repair work out. Would like to get that in 2k primer in the next 2 weeks or so and start blocking it too. My goal is to place the cab back on the frame and mock up the front clip by then end of may. Feels attainable, but there are other parts of my life that will likely come first.

So I was tired of filling and sanding, filling and sanding etc. and decided to take a break and work on something else. I have this one rear bed skirt for the sportside that was full of rot. It's been sitting on the bench for months in plain view bugging me. So it was decided we were going to attack that demon head on. before (with the end cap removed):

Image[/url]0421191713a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Newly bent piece, laying on the metal brake with the jig made to make the radius bend:

Image[/url]0421191713b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

butt welded in and ground:

Image[/url]0421191912 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0421191911 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

I didn't have time to make the end cap. Might be next week, might be 3 months. Re-making the seam down the middle to match the other side will require a few experiments. I had this dream, I opened up my LMC Truck catalog for J Trucks and ordered a brand new one and bolted it on... but it might have been the paint fumes...

Image[/url]0421191912a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Thanks for reading, will update in a few weeks.

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Spring is in the air here in Virginia. Some updates from over the last few weekends. The bed skirt in the previous post is now done with a new end cap made. It's been skimmed , primed and blocked. Good to go:

Image[/url]0505191808a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0505191808b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Most of my time has been spent blocking out and fixing imperfections in the cab. New seam sealer on the exterior and rain gutters. The entire cab then got 2 coats of high build 2k priner. And the blocking began, and continued, and then kept going... I even took the doors back home with me and worked them a few evenings during the week.

Image[/url]0505191648 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0505191649 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

A lot of my past several weekends have been spent on tweaking the cab body to get it done to a point where it's ready for a 400 wet sand. Currently at 95% I think.

Took some time away from the blocks and installed new rear brakes with new hardware. Also welded in new shock tabs and installed rear shocks.

Image[/url]0504192346 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

So, at a certain point you have to just stop looking for more minor imperfections and flaws, cause you're always going to find something to tweak. Saturday night I decided it was time to move on to the next step. Built a lifting frame out of old fence posts, carboard and what not and lifted the cab back onto the frame. New cab mount bushings, cleaned up the original hardware and on she went with the tractor loader. It was awkward, especially since we really have no flat ground on the property. But voila:

Image[/url]0519191527a (1) by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0519191526a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0519191527 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0519191526 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Having it in place on the frame and 2 feet up shone a light on a few more areas that need massaging so, on to that. The real purpose was to do a dry fit of all the reworked, mismatched panels to see how well things line up. Honestly, this was frustrating, and it's still not close. But it's a process and we love the process. Front inner and outer fenders, radiator support all loosely bolted on. 2 things right off the bat, the front cab mounts appear to be too short, gonna try shims first etc. Secondly, and maybe more disappointing was the realization that the radiator support was really tweaked in the hood latch area (see last pic). I can't believe i looked past this in all the prep I'd done on it. Really frustrating. I'm gonna try and work it back, or look for another one I dunno yet. Anyways, next steps are to finish aligning the front clip and hang the doors. I'm seriously setting aside a whole day for that project.

On a final note, since we share our successes AND our failures on this board; setting a cab, by yourself,on an incline, in the dark without a spotter....is asking for trouble. Both rear cab corners got dinged in the process by the forward bed mounts. Out come the hammers again...

Image[/url]0519191712a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Fleet Fox
Last edited by FLeetFox on Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

It is looking great, keep the pictures and progress notes coming.
I'am book marking all this builds, so I can used them as a guide for when I start my two projects. The Waggie and the J truck!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I appreciate your updates and all the honest narration and frustration. Seriously. I've done similar stuff and it just sucks when we cause our own setbacks, but I guess it's better than having someone else mess up your work!

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Update time! Got to love the long days and cool nights this time of year! Alright so when we last left off we started the body mock up with all the "new" panels on the repaired cab. At this point everything is bolted on but the hood. The panel gaps are bigger than I would have thought, but at least they're even all around now. I forget sometimes these trucks were hand built without robots... Anyways, the pictures:

Image[/url]0602191712 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0602191713 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0602191713a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Yep still blocking the hood, down to one area now with ripples.

Image[/url]0602191714 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Tired of looking at the cab? Me too. New Step side (ahem, Sportside) fenders arrived. Quick block, epoxy and 2k high build primers. Pics taken following 400 wet sand. man, they look ready to bolt on...

Image[/url]0531192000 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0531191959a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Finally brought the bed into shop from the field. It's rough as in banged up, but thankfully not rusted. Put it on the cradle, hit it with some guide coat and started beating on all the dents with an assortment of hammers.

Image[/url]0531191959 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0602191805 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0602191804 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Ground the undercoat off with a wire wheel and keep knocking the dents back and filling the holes. When I purchased the truck it had a homemade fifth wheel and plate, plus an aux battery box in the bed. Modifications for these items appear to have been done with a torch, some big sledge hammers and chisels..

Image[/url]0608192244 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0608192245 (1) by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0608192245a (1) by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Ok, so I'm just going to put this here in my thread, thought about starting a separate thread, but all I'm going to say is this. Welding galvanized metal is dangerous. It was cool and rainy so I had the doors closed, and the fans off. Don't do this. please don't. I was taught about the dangers, and I ignored the signals and signs. Just work safe, safer than I did. Here's a link. I'm fine, but was pretty miserable for a couple days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Moving on. Holes are all filled Sandblaster has been back in action, bed is half done now. Next update will feature those pictures. Bed bottom is done, sides and header panel are next. Then epoxy... blah blah blah...

I sincerely hope people don't mind all the pics, it's really the best way i have of documenting the project. For myself and for those of you contemplating doing a project of this scale. Next update will be after July 4th.

Fleet Fox

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

FLeetFox wrote: Ok, so I'm just going to put this here in my thread, thought about starting a separate thread, but all I'm going to say is this. Welding galvanized metal is dangerous. It was cool and rainy so I had the doors closed, and the fans off. Don't do this. please don't. I was taught about the dangers, and I ignored the signals and signs. Just work safe, safer than I did. Here's a link. I'm fine, but was pretty miserable for a couple days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Fleet Fox
I hear you loud and clear on the dangers of welding galvanized metal. Which part was galvanized? Was it something stock or something custom added to your rig?

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

The stock bed, seen in the pics, is actually 98% galvanized. just the stake pockets and tailgate parts are regular stamped steel. The bed is pretty much the same bed as the early Willy's and FC150 beds. Some of the 82 cab has galvanized panels too, rockers, cowl, lower cowl covers, I don't believe it was unique to this truck. You'll see the galving clearly in the last pic. The bed floor inside the box was galvanized, but years of abuse an exposure to the elements have worn the zinc coating off, hence the surface rust.

Fleet Fox

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Now I see where you mean. Thanks!

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

When we last left our hero....Bed has been sandblasted and holes have been filled. Largely rust free, but one stake pocket had collected and held water due to an athletic sock that had been stuffed down there and lost during the Disco era...

Image[/url]0704191816 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0704191851 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Next up i worked on the wrinkled sheet metal and tried to straighten up the pipe rails. 3/4" steel pipe, hi lift jack, chains...

Image[/url]0706192346 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

The tailgate end of the bed has a transition piece where the bed floor meets the roll pan. It was battered and rusted. I really can only form 90s on my little brake and i needed a U or a C, so i cut the old piece out down the middle and welded in a 90 degree patch. This picture mid process kinda illustrates; new piece is at top already welded in, bottom shows the cuts and the way bottom shows the original. blah blah blah...

Image[/url]0628192253 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img].

So that was really the extent of the rust repair. The bed sides needed a good amount of hammer and dolly work. The 100s of ripples i started with have turned into a few waves; I have accepted that the bed sides and the header will not be mirror smooth. The steps will cover 90% of the outside, bed liner etc will mask some of the interior flaws.

Image[/url]0728191645 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

So anyways, a few hours of skimming bondo and sanding 98% of it off... time for epoxy primer.

Image[/url]0728191645a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

and shot some little bits and pieces too:

Image[/url]0728191645b by highsiera, on Flickr

Finally, my man Sam dropped in for an evening and helped finish aligning the front clip. We also got the hood bolted on which was cool. Now for the adjustments to get that seated right.

Image[/url]0728191645c by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

So, what's next? Well, the engine is currently being built and I feel like we're running out of summer here, i.e. warm days and nights. My goal is to get this in paint before cold weather. September is the target date. But in order to get that accomplished I have a lot of small fixes to make, and lots of final sanding. The shop will need to be cleaned thoroughly and a new paint booth built. Stay with me, I'll post pics of the interesting stuff and leave the boring stuff out. Back in a few.

Fleet Fox

kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

Great looking build!
'Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Naivete in adults is often Charming, but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity.