1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
FLeetFox

1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Post by FLeetFox »

HI everyone, new member here from Virginia. Beginning a restomod on a 1982 J10 sportside. 360 v8, converting to th400, np208, d44 8 lug front, d-60 rear. truck is solid, complete but rough. going down to the frame and starting from the beginning. I have a thread on ifsja also, but want to post here as well. i have some issues with technology, so please be patient with me.

in the middle of teardown:

[imgImage

current state:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HKbEQ6]Image
0513181641 by highsiera, on Fl

every piece was tagged and bagged at removal. Been blasting parts with soda/ abrasive, and have started rebuilding the TH400. This will be a slow, but thorough build. I will try to update weekly. It's up on the farm, so sometimes other things take precedence:

Image[/url]0526181235 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img

cab is stripped and ready to be pulled for some light sheet metal repair. Will post some more pics sunday or monday.

Thanks for looking

FleetFox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

twisted frame

Re: 1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Post by twisted frame »

Nice find! Will you be fabricating your own stepside fenders, looking for originals, or going another route?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

I have one of the rear fenders, but it needs a good deal of repair. I'm thinking about just ordering new replacements from BJ's. Given the scope of the drivetrain work in front of me, I likely won't get to the bed until spring time.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

been a while. some updates
th400 rebuilt:

Image[/url]0618182248 by highsiera, on Flickr

steering box rebuilt:

Image[/url]0726180004a by highsiera, on Flickr

NP208 bulit, waiting on a few pieces in this pic:

Image[/url]0726180003 by highsiera, on Flickr

cab removed for media blasting:

Image[/url]0704181813c by highsiera, on Flickr

Image[/url]0704181822a by highsiera, on Flickr

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

fuel tank skid plate. had to take 2 to make one good one, and still needed to bend some sheet to graft in:

Image[/url]0707182044 by highsiera, on Flickr

fender with a graft:

Image[/url]0708181513 by highsiera, on Flickr

booth built to blast inside the shed, because the weather this summer has been....Amazonian...

Image[/url]0721182024 by highsiera, on Flickr

axles and springs removed to get down to just the frame:

Image[/url]0721182024a by highsiera, on Flickr

In the process of blasting the frame now. Really looking forward to getting it coated and painted. Then i can start bolting things back together. shiny, new, clean things... Tired of the dirt, dust and old grease, looking forward to the clean grease, oil and dirt...

FleetFox
Last edited by FLeetFox on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Update since last time. Progress has been slow an frankly it's been a bit frustrating. I basically get 2 days a 2 nights a week to work on the truck, and that's after stuff that needs to get done, get's done. I just don't get to accomplish what I hope to each weekend. But on the plus side, things are moving forward.
Frame blasted and brushed with rust treatment:

primed:

This area will need some serious work:

New cab mount tops on all 4. 3/16" steel. Boring the holes and doing the layouts took the most time. Prep is the necessary ingredient for success. Preparation H:

The welds aren't as good as I would have liked. 7018 on messy metal. I should have ground more before hand and use 1/8 rod instead of 3/32. But there is good penetration on each weld and no pinholes for water to creep into later. Lessons learned

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

FLeetFox wrote: New cab mount tops on all 4. 3/16" steel. Boring the holes and doing the layouts took the most time. Prep is the necessary ingredient for success. Preparation H:

The welds aren't as good as I would have liked. 7018 on messy metal. I should have ground more before hand and use 1/8 rod instead of 3/32. But there is good penetration on each weld and no pinholes for water to creep into later. Lessons learned
Thanks for the tips on the stick type and size you used. I appreciate it!

Progress looks great. I see that the frame was blasted, then primed, but what type of paint is the black paint?

Oh, and what dirtbike is in the background? :D
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

nice work ! takes forever it seems (been on my truck four years) but something to be proud of! more pictures please

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Twisted, In retrospect 6011 would have been a better rod choice for the old frame, .125. I bought a box of 6013 I'm going to try, it's supposed to cut like 6011 on not clean metal, but finish better like the 7018 to get he ellusive "stack of dimes" looking welds.

the black u see is just black primer. I will shoot in gloss black when the heat and humidity drop a bit

there are actually a few bikes in the various pics. All 80s Kawas, kx125 1985, and a big wheel kx80...Danger Kitten lots of fun to blow off a little steam on

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

More. Rear frame re-inforced inside and out.

cut the hangers off, then re-attached:

rear crossmember was trashed. YJ bumper made a slick replacement... with a dozen new holes

and Finally, shot 2 coats with a nice durable gloss enamel:

So at this point frame and is done and out of the shop. Front and rear axles are in shop for refresh.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

That looks great. Cool idea with the YJ piece!

Joe's Garage

Post by Joe's Garage »

following this build, very nice work!
Joe

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Thank you Joe! Not much to add lately. The indian summer we've been having the past 2 weeks has kept me really busy on other stuff that just didn't get done during monsoon summer 2018. Have no fear, work continues. The front axle is at my local shop getting new gears, or as my family in NY would say "with the guy gettin' the stuff done..." Rear axle has all new seals and a fresh coat of paint. Drums were turned, gonna wait on the rest of the brakes until the lift is on so i can figure out the P-Brake setup. Big question now is do I start on the cab repairs, or build the engine.. decisions, decisions...

front hubs, removed from rotors, blasted and primed

Last edited by FLeetFox on Mon May 20, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Small update, the Front Dana 44 is back from the 4 Wheel Specialty Shop with new Motive 4:09 Ring & Pinion, bearings and seals. Thanks Charlie and Vince. And into the box of shiny new parts! New Races & bearings, seals, axle U joints and ball joints. Hat's of to BJ's (again)for selling high quality Timken bearings.

Image[/url]1103180059

Everything got blasted, primed and painted with a durable enamel. Primed parts prior to painting and assemby:

Image[/url]1103180100

Image[/url]1103180100a

Waiting on a few more pieces to finish this up hub to hub. Check back soon.

FleetFox
Last edited by FLeetFox on Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

Looks great! I highly recommend the fenders from BJ's. I bought a set fro my 81 Honcho build and they were great! Will you be sticking with the 82 graphics? I liked the older style Honcho graphics and got them from Phoenix Graphixs. Excited to follow this build.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Thank you Dustin. Your builds are definitely inspirational, and I'm envious of your timelines, not to mention your interiors. I do plan on ordering new bed fenders from BJ's, but I'm far away from that right now. Looking like sheet metal work on the cab is the next item on the list. That and getting a complete rolling chassis will probably take me into spring time here. My thought is also to go with the earlier stripe package as well. It just looks much sharper than the later ones. However I will be going with a different color than red for the base. That my friend, will be a surprise. Stay tuned, plenty more boring updates before the good stuff starts to hit.

Fleet Fox

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

That is awesome news! I can't wait to see what color you go with. Can you give us a small hint? :) Is it at least a stock Jeep color? Or is it something completely new? I'm excited to follow along. I have still been buying for FSJ's but I'm building a new house right now and my new shop won't be done until next spring. Then I'll get going again.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Stock jeep color 80-91, but I'm thinking a little metallic in it. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for spring though for more. Question though, it's been 15 years since painted a truck and things have seemingly changed as far as process goes some. Not to mention the brand choices. I used dupont nason basecoat/ clear coat. 2 coats of base and then 2 coats of clear with a 1000 wet sand in between. All of this was over a relatively inexpensive fleet gray primer. But now it seems it's epoxy primer, THEN body work, block, 2k primer 1 or 2 coats with more blocking before color. Anybody care to set me straight on this? The Nason was the low end of the dupont line, but it has held up for 15 years, many of them living outdoors.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Got a lot done this weekend for a change! Finally finished rebuilding the Dana 44 Front axle, with help from my friend Sam. I had a shop re-seal and re-gear the diff with a 4.09 to play nice with the new Dana 60 rear. New ball joints, spindle seals and bearings, wheel bearings, races and hub seals. plus new drilled & slotted rotors. To cap it all off, a Warn refresh kit for the original premium hubs:

Image[/url]1111181520 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1110182334_Burst01 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1111181519a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

The brass on the hubs was in sorry condition, a few dips in vinegar and a little 000 steel wool worked wonders. Still needs a bit more salad dressing...

Image[/url]1109182058 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

And finally, since I had some time left over this weekend; cab work takes off in earnest:

Image[/url]1111181520a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

The cab is in very good shape, the floor plans rusted where the fire wall seems to the floor plan. A lot of banging on the the anvil horn to get the patches to fit the holes. I hope to begin welding in the front patches in a weekend or 2. Spent most of today with a cup brush removing undercoating (joy). Interestingly enough, the worst rot on it is behind the seats in the floor plans. I guess the slider window gasket must have been leaking for years and years. Most of what you see behind the torque brace is paper thin:

Image[/url]0520181700a (1) by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Oh well, front floors first, some more media blast and then on to those rear sections. 1 piece at a time.

I know it seems a bit weird that there hasn't really been a picture of the truck as a whole since basically the first post. The pieces are getting done one by one and one day, some day everything will just magically come together. Truth is, I'm waiting on lift springs. patiently, and it may be another 2 months. The motor will have to wait until spring. In the meantime, it's gotten cold here. No paint or primer can get done. So, the blessing of all this is I have several months of time to patiently pound tin back into correct shape. Truth is I'm enjoying all of this thoroughly and I don't really have a timeline. So I do pieces as my budget allows, knowing full well there are some big expenditures coming up. As I have said, stay with me, it will get more interesting in due course.

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

I realized it's been a while since I updated this post. Fear not, work continues apace. The floor plans were decent but the seams had rot creep, so it made more sense to cut and make custom panels from sheet steel for repairs. Fronts welded in:

Image[/url]1214182148c by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1214182148b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Right hand, rear of cab. rust in the floor and back of cab area. 2 separate pieces cut, braked and drilled for spot welds:

Image[/url]1214182147 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1215181757 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1215181434a (1) by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1215182141 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

and finally, rust treatment and primer:

Image[/url]1216181625 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Hoping to make a large dent in the Left Hand rear side this weekend. The rust is more severe, but the weather forecast looks promising. If it's dry, I need to do some media blasting, parts are starting to stack up in the booth. Thanks again for looking

Fleet Fox