Baja Beater

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
RanchGX

Baja Beater

Post by RanchGX »

So I finally joined this forum cause... well IFSJA has been down for too long. I tried to join over there but always got an error message. But there was a lot of good info on tech stuff so I just trolled.

Anyways....

I have a 1988 Grand Wagoneer. My dad bought it brand new in '88, it was my first vehicle and drove it through high school. My two younger brothers also drove it all through high school. Then it just sat at the bottom of my parents property just rotting away. I wanted somehting to go play in the desert with and take down to Mexico so this is what I have turned it into...

It was all original when I started with 150K on the odometer

I put a 4" BJ's lift on it and am running 33's right now. After I do an 8 lug swap in the front I will switch over to 35's. I have a FF Dana 70 in the rear (from a 1993 Dodge 1 ton, it was cheper to throw that in rather to replace the bent rear axles). The engine is stock, but was rebuilt <6K miles ago..... but about 7 years ago. I flat tow it everywhere, and daily drive it to work when Im too lazy to ride my bike.

I still need to cage it and find a set of wide track fenders for the front. Thinking of doing to XJ fenders in the rear. Will also eventually paint it, skid plate the entire bottom, offroad seats for the front and rear with 5pt harness's, J20 steering box upgrade, hydroboost brakes, and would like to find a 50 gal fuel cell. Also if/ when the engine finally does go Ill do something fun like a supercharged 6.1 gm swap.... ya know just cause I can. But cant do it till I break what I have now ya know
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 1 owner
TFI Ignition (cap/ rotor & ignition coil)
MSD 6al Ignition Box
Dana 70 rear axle
Steering rag joint delete
Electric Fuel Pump
6 pt cage
4" BJ's lift
33" tires
AC -> OBA conversion
4 BBL Edelbrock 1406 + Edelbrock intake manifold
Side exit exhaust
Hydroboost brakes
RedHead Steering Box- custom specs
3 core radiator- special built for towing
Smog pump removed
Evap Charcoal canister removed

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Baja Beater

Post by Stuka »

Cool rig, like what you did behind the rear doors.

That wider rear axle gives it quite the mad-max-esque look :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
RanchGX

Post by RanchGX »

It really isnt the axle thats making the tires stick out, its the offset of the wheels. Im not too happy with that right now but is what it is til I can put in matching wheels and tires. Its hard to find 15" 8 lug wheels, and for the price I couldnt really cry too much about it. Although I have found it much more fun to go around corners now.
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 1 owner
TFI Ignition (cap/ rotor & ignition coil)
MSD 6al Ignition Box
Dana 70 rear axle
Steering rag joint delete
Electric Fuel Pump
6 pt cage
4" BJ's lift
33" tires
AC -> OBA conversion
4 BBL Edelbrock 1406 + Edelbrock intake manifold
Side exit exhaust
Hydroboost brakes
RedHead Steering Box- custom specs
3 core radiator- special built for towing
Smog pump removed
Evap Charcoal canister removed

[ O o \\|// o O ]

Post by [ O o \\|// o O ] »

My first thought was, "The drag those holes create at highway speeds will to negate any weight savings as far as MPG is concerned."

Then I thought, "No, those holes are there because the braces create Blind Spots."

Finally I realized what a Mad Genius you are!!
Of course this is only good for slow cruisin' the beach.

I can send you the photoshop file if you want to tweak the picture. My skills aren't the best.

Sorry, I didn't get the coals in the image, I was in a hurry to be the first to post a picture of your rig as a pig roaster.

Nice that you left the windows and frames on, it'll be way more secure in Mexico and you'll want to roll up the windows when the weather turns bad.

My wife's telling me that I need to stop trying to be funny so I'll just say It looks like a blast to drive around.(And being able to reach back and grab a handful of roasted pig...Priceless!)

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

[ O o \|// o O ] wrote:...

My wife's telling me that I need to stop trying to be funny ...(And being able to reach back and grab a handful of roasted pig...Priceless!)
My opinion isn't near as important as your wife's since you don't have to live with me, but I think that's funnier than heck.

Resbum
Originally Posted by Resbum
"What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 290#p18290

[ O o \\|// o O ]

Resbum wrote:
[ O o \|// o O ] wrote:...

My wife's telling me that I need to stop trying to be funny ...(And being able to reach back and grab a handful of roasted pig...Priceless!)
My opinion isn't near as important as your wife's since you don't have to live with me, but I think that's funnier than heck.

Resbum
Thanks, how cool would it be to cruise around Mexico in his Jeep?!
I would throw a snap on canvas top on it like my blazer had and some hardwood ribs to shed the rain. The way he did it keeps the wind to a ninimum when the top is down and allows the use of a top too. I was trying to be funny with the photoshop but i really like the rig.

[ O o \\|// o O ]

I think this style of top would be perfect for your rig.
Image[/URL]