1978 Cherokee S Wide track build: Yona

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
SJ_Yona

1978 Cherokee S Wide track build: Yona

Post by SJ_Yona »

Building a 1978 Cherokee wide track. Pseudo mechanically inclined. Putting it together with the intention of a ranch/hunting/camping rig. figured I would post here for those who had advice or are looking to do something similar.

Bought it about 9 months ago for $2800 in running condition with mismatched interior and a soggy carpet.

It started blue and was re painted after repairing some dents and rust on the fenders and body.

Will post more about what I am working on.

Currently having an issue with the Aftermarket fuel gauge registering half as empty.

And no luck on locating new seat brackets. Will the 1979 wagoneer brackets fix the 78 Cherokee or we're there changes made to the bolting patterns? Still searching to find out.

Thanks!

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Last edited by SJ_Yona on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twisted frame

Re: 1978 Cherokee S Wide track build: Yona

Post by twisted frame »

Welcome aboard! I'm almost certain 79 seat brackets have the same floor mounting holes as 78s.

Nice looking repaint. I like the black center section of the hood. Engine bay looks quite clean.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
SJ_Yona

Post by SJ_Yona »

twisted frame wrote:Welcome aboard! I'm almost certain 79 seat brackets have the same floor mounting holes as 78s.

Nice looking repaint. I like the black center section of the hood. Engine bay looks quite clean.
Thanks for the Welcome and thanks for the info on the seat brackets. I couldn't find a diagram anywhere indicating as such.

Reason being is I am looking at putting in some Corbeau reclining suspension seats. Just found out there is a crack around the bracket hole.in the floor pan. Will have to figure out a way to fix that.

The black Hood stripe was to emulate the new Cherokee trailhawk. I though it looked good with the shape of the hood.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Looks good. I went with Corbeau Moabs since they mounted right up to my brackets. Also, on the floor pans, two of my mounting bolts were completely seized up. Rear-most bolts on the outside brackets. Wound up drilling them out and then thru bolting the brackets at those locations. Might consider something along those lines, but sounds like you may first have to add some metal back in.

Let us know what you find out on the half-full issue on your fuel gauge. I am using the stock one still, but I have the same issue as you. Only registers half full when completely full.

Topic author
SJ_Yona

Post by SJ_Yona »

1979bettywhite wrote:Looks good. I went with Corbeau Moabs since they mounted right up to my brackets. Also, on the floor pans, two of my mounting bolts were completely seized up. Rear-most bolts on the outside brackets. Wound up drilling them out and then thru bolting the brackets at those locations. Might consider something along those lines, but sounds like you may first have to add some metal back in.

Let us know what you find out on the half-full issue on your fuel gauge. I am using the stock one still, but I have the same issue as you. Only registers half full when completely full.
My impression is that the ohms on the sending unit and the ohm measurement on the guage are mismatched. Either that or it's the ground wire.

About the seats, the passenger side is ghetto fabrication... out of what seems to be perforated angle iron that is bolted together like an erector set. Except on this set, in an accident, I'm sure the bracket will shear off all the bolts and turn the occupant into a projectile. Fun stuff haha.

So definitely first on my list of repairs. Runs great though Image

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome to the board. Yeah, that looks nice!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Love the colors!
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

Topic author
SJ_Yona

Post by SJ_Yona »

Finished a center console for it last weekend. Something to rest my arm on. I can't find a replacement center seat to save my life. ImageImage

Topic author
SJ_Yona

Post by SJ_Yona »

SJ_Yona wrote:Finished a center console for it last weekend. Something to rest my arm on. I can't find a replacement center seat to save my life. ImageImage

Anyone know what the rear speaker dimensions we're from the factory. I just ordered some replacement panels for the back from team Grand wagoneer. It has the speaker cut outs already just not what the dimensions are.