1984 Grand Wagoneer- Beginners Build!

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

dodgerammit

Re: 1984 Grand Wagoneer- Beginners Build!

Post by dodgerammit »

Bumpers are aluminum. A good scuff with some scotch brite and some aluminum wheel polish would be my first attack.

There is a thread where a guy revived his. More in depth, but excellent results: http://www.myjeepandme.com/polish-aluminum-bumpers/
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Problem is the anodizing was removed from those areas. They will now be more shiny than the rest or duller when they corrode.

Has to be all or nothing with the anodizing removal and if it's all removed you have to stay on top of the polishing.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

letank

Post by letank »

memsiej wrote: Questions:
How important is a fan shroud? I currently don't have one- is it good to have or imperative to have?
It is important in slow moving traffic when the weather is hot, above 85ishF, otherwise at speed if your cooling system has been maintained and your fan clutch is good it will be fine.

Testing fan clutch: with engine at operating temp, have an helper turn off the engine while you watch the fan, the fan should stop spinning by 2 seconds, if it looks like it is spinning freely for over 4 seconds, it is not good. Another thing is to look at the front for the clutch or wipe with a clean rag to see if there is an excess of grease, it is the silicon that has leaked out.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

letank

Post by letank »

memsiej wrote:
catching up on your progress, you need to address these wires, they are too close to the manifold... so either extend the wire or put a zip tie and may be wrap it with some heat resistant wire protectant , so it does not have a chance to hit the manifold and start an electric fire
Michel

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

I'll grab some wire protectant tomorrow- thanks!!
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

letank

Post by letank »

memsiej wrote:I'll grab some wire protectant tomorrow- thanks!!
Also as this is a (+) wire controlling the electric choke, make sure that the choke side is secure, the choke side wire is normally encapsulated so if it is disconnected it does close the circuit and starts a fire when the (+) end touches the intake manifold.

found this pict to illustrate what the connector should be looking like at number 3 -the carb is different , no altitude compensator.

In fact some of the thermostats are using a more secure system with a screwed end to prevent the wire from dropping
Michel

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

letank wrote:
memsiej wrote:
catching up on your progress, you need to address these wires, they are too close to the manifold... so either extend the wire or put a zip tie and may be wrap it with some heat resistant wire protectant , so it does not have a chance to hit the manifold and start an electric fire
Looked today- they're just resting near the pre-heater tube stove. It's all rusty and loose.

Jmark51

Post by Jmark51 »

I am starting my first restore on a 1990 Wagoneer. I love the wooden headliner you put in. Could you let me know some of the challenges you ran into? How did you fasten it?

Thanks

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Jmark51 wrote:I am starting my first restore on a 1990 Wagoneer. I love the wooden headliner you put in. Could you let me know some of the challenges you ran into? How did you fasten it?

Thanks
Man. Haven't checked in on here in a while. It's wainscotting panel and I just used regular ol' screws. Challenges were trying to hold it up AND screw it in at the same time. Would be much easier with ome person holding and one person putting in screws.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Just bringing this build forward, as I am just starting on a 1984 Grand Wagoneer build myself, and found a lot of info to help me with mine.

Love the wood headliner, and thinking of doing T&G Pine ceiling, cargo sides, cargo floor, and tailgate.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified