1984 Grand Wagoneer- Beginners Build!

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
memsiej

Re: 1984 Grand Wagoneer- Beginners Build!

Post by memsiej »

Reworked the headliner a bit- think it looks much cleaner now.

Had my electrician friend look at the tailgate but he got to a point where he'd have to drop the window and got nervous.
Cleaned all the wood scraps out of the trunk and it's all starting to come together! Next up, I think there's a vacuum leak somewhere (engine dies if I let off the gas too fast) and I think a valve cover is leaking oil a bit. It was smoking a little here (to the right of the plug in the middle of the photo) and the oil is low. There's also a spot on the manifold on the passenger side that has a rust hole.. like rusted through. No bueno.
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Still don't understand why people get so nervous with the tailgate motor issue. It is very common. Just roll up your sleeves and unhook the motor connector and jump it to a battery. Most people discover the motor works just fine.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

I dunno. I had high hopes, because he's a boeing engineer. Me, I just have no idea what I'm doing and am learning as I go, trying not to break anything too badly.
Anyway, vacuum success today. The engine had been dying when I'd take my foot off the gas all at once. Thought either fuel line or vacuum line. I'd just replaced the fuel filter and realllly didn't want it to be the fuel pump so I checked vacuum lines. Sure enough, one going to the distributor cap was snapped. Replaced, and it runs so much happier now!
New hose

Still have yet to figure out where to put those hoses coming off the monitors. I did notice one of these is capped, dunno why.

And this seems to be missing something...

delete nike plus account

Anyway, in other news, the contraption holding my preheater hose onto my manifold is COMPLETELY rusted. BJs doesnt seem to carry anything to replace it (but damn NJs is so much better than TGW)- is this on the right track? https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/air-c ... 1979-1991/

And of course, another hose issue. The other end of this one is flopping around under the hood- can't find out what it SHOULD be attached to. The hunt continues.

The beast is also really really squeaky- gonna do the belts soon.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

"I dunno. I had high hopes, because he's a boeing engineer. Me, I just have no idea what I'm doing and am learning as I go, trying not to break anything too badly."

You're over thinking it too much. It's not working now, so..... Why not try testing the motor itself?
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

memsiej wrote:And of course, another hose issue. The other end of this one is flopping around under the hood- can't find out what it SHOULD be attached to. The hunt continues.
If you're talking about the single larger hose on top of the diff, that just gets attached to the core support next to the radiator. It's just a vent for the front axle.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Also, the hose duct/manifold heater is really nonessential .

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

HeavyMetal is correct if that's the one you are mentioning. Just make sure it has a vent on the top end if you stand it straight up. Don't want crap getting down that breather tube and then into the diff fluid.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Sweet. Will do. Good to know that pre-heater hose is non-essential- I'll try and bang the mount back into place more securely, and if that doesn't work, oh well!
Next up:
Finish trying to run those abandoned vacuum lines, figure out which belt is squealing like a stuck pig, and I still have to get that linkage adjusted. Oh, and buff/polish the whole thing. It's not very shiny.

letank

Post by letank »

memsiej wrote:Sweet. Will do. Good to know that pre-heater hose is non-essential- I'll try and bang the mount back into place more securely, and if that doesn't work, oh well!
Unless you live in very cold climate, like substantial below 40ish, it is non essential, but as you gain speed the air is colder and your carb could freeze up. The auto parts store sells a contraption to secure the heater hose to the exhaust manifold if it is really needed.

check with pre heater hose, cannot find the contraption, it is basically a U shape flat metal wedged across the exhaut manifold and a clamp holding both sides of the U, the heater pipe snapping on top of the U

I like the wood works to replace the headliner ,it looks really sharp, next step is the outside, right!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Nest steps are a few mechanical things (last post), then the tailgate, then yea start cleaning up the outside. Glad you like the wood! I think it looks pretty sharp too, if I do say so myself.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

The radiator seems to be slowwwwly leaking coolant. Looks like its coming from that corner where it seals with the black part. Hoping I don't have to replace the radiator but I don't even know how to determine that.
Whatever this is looks really concerning to me...

Glam shot after a carwash!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

memsiej wrote:The radiator seems to be slowwwwly leaking coolant. Looks like its coming from that corner where it seals with the black part. Hoping I don't have to replace the radiator but I don't even know how to determine that.
Do you see a coolant/antifreeze puddle after you park somewhere? It's probably leaking from a spot that could be repaired (brazed) by a radiator shop that still knows how to repair copper radiators. Then again, it's becoming somewhat harder to find a good radiator shop these days.

The oil-soaked shaft with the coupling that looks like it's made up layers of thick rubber material is the rag joint in the steering shaft. It's probably grimy with oil because of various oil leaks above it or at the oil filter housing, or, could be power steering fluid leaking/spraying out of a dried out power steering hose, which is the ~5/8" diameter hose in the pic with the crimped metal collar on one end that, if you trace it, is coming from the steering box and goes up to the power steering fluid reservoir, up near the driver side front of the engine.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

twisted frame wrote:
memsiej wrote:The radiator seems to be slowwwwly leaking coolant. Looks like its coming from that corner where it seals with the black part. Hoping I don't have to replace the radiator but I don't even know how to determine that.
Do you see a coolant/antifreeze puddle after you park somewhere? It's probably leaking from a spot that could be repaired (brazed) by a radiator shop that still knows how to repair copper radiators. Then again, it's becoming somewhat harder to find a good radiator shop these days.

The oil-soaked shaft with the coupling that looks like it's made up layers of thick rubber material is the rag joint in the steering shaft. It's probably grimy with oil because of various oil leaks above it or at the oil filter housing, or, could be power steering fluid leaking/spraying out of a dried out power steering hose, which is the ~5/8" diameter hose in the pic with the crimped metal collar on one end that, if you trace it, is coming from the steering box and goes up to the power steering fluid reservoir, up near the driver side front of the engine.
It's not leaving a puddle of coolant, I was up under there yesterday after driving it and noticed a bead of cooland running down that hose, coming from where the radiator meets that corner. Seems to be really really slow.

The second thing worries me because it looks like it's totally falling apart- I imagine that's supposed to be an enclosed bushing; like it looks more sealed at the left, them seems 'ripped open' towards the right, exposing those layered looking parts. I'm sure it's dirty with oil and power steering fluid.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

To me that rag joint being looks more like a power steering leak from the reservoir. Can be a pretty common problem. I had that on mine as well, looked just like yours. If you are concerned over the rag joint, just order a new one. Pretty cheap and easy repair job honestly. But fix the power steering leak first, if it is that.

Pulling the radiator is a really easy job as well (except for having to deal with the mess of draining it). Drain it, pull all the hoses, you may have to unbolt the fan (4 bolts) for some added clearance, then 4 bolts on the radiator and it will pull right out from above. A good radiator shop can pressure test and patch it for pretty cheap. A good shop will also tell you if there are just too many pinhole leaks to make patching it really not an option. They should also paint it up nice and shiny new as well.

Is there any coolant in the bottom catch tray on the radiator? That would indicate it might be leaking from the coils. That drip you see there might be coolant running out of the tray and down the side of the radiator to that spot.

If you determine that it might be leaking in that exact spot you could try a home remedy first. JB weld or something. But getting it tested and patched if needed at a good radiator shop is the preferred option for long term piece of mind.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Oy it's been a while! We got a new puppy so the Jeep has taken a backseat. Managed to get out this weekend and get some work done though.
Also took it into the shop to have them look at a few things- I was still having a hard time figuring out where the squeal while accelerating was coming from. Sounds like something might be funky with the AC compressor (AC doesn't even work) but that's causing the noise. Worry is if the compressor goes, my other pulleys and belts are done for too!
That shop didn't work on ACs so I need to find one this week that can just bypass it. I don't need AC.

Fun shot from above after clear coating

Revived some of the grill!

And repainted part of the wheel. Forgot to take a before shot, but the black looks better than brown gross rust.

I sanded down a bunch of scratches on the bumpers and am trying to figure out how to bring a uniform shine to them. Might mean repainting the whole things.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

So I drove the beast into work today so I could take it by the shop on the way home- of course the squealing stopped. Also first time I've driven it on wet roads- maybe that has something to do with it. And the right blinker stopped working. No ticking with I flip the lever. Awesome.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Speaker covers are a little too big, but they'll do for now.

New console. Lifts up for storage, and yay cupholders.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Obviously not done, but I DID get to present it to my sister! This whole project has been a surprise gift for her, since it's been her dream car for as long as I can remember. She was SO HAPPY cruising it through town and by the beach, and I'm really glad I got to put a smile on her face.

Danbert

Post by Danbert »

Excellent work and your sister is truly lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

I got a new project and haven't been working on the Jeep in a while. Got a 2000 Ranger that I've been having fun with. Less PO mods too, so less frustration! BUT the jeep has to make it to Montana in two weeks and I still have lots to do.

Questions:
How important is a fan shroud? I currently don't have one- is it good to have or imperative to have?
Bumpers- I buffed out some scratched and now they have these patchy places where you can see the sanding. Any good way to get the bumpers back to being one color? I can't find any paint that's THAT metallic.

This is the best picture I have right now- you can see the sanding patches on the bumpers.