1977 Cherokee Chief

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Silverking

1977 Cherokee Chief

Post by Silverking »

Good Morning. I am new to this forum. I just bought a 77 Cherokee Chief S. 360 4 bbl, quadrtrack. Body has some rust ( back 1/4 panels, rockers and tail gate. It runs and drives! 259 thousand on the clock.
It Runs, yes it does but really rough. I think it need the carb rebuilt and tune up? I can do the tune up but not the carb
It stops, Yes but barely! I know it needs a brake job, do you all think it will need new master, also thinking about 4 wheel discs?
Rust. Has it on the 2 back 1/4 panels, 1 rocker and 1 floor pan, tail gate is really rusty. I cant get the rear window to go up or down without moving it by hand. The handle will spin or when locked won't move. It had a motor (tailgate) but the wires are cap off?
I have found new body parts. But need to find doors and a tailgate .
Need HELP

Trying to add photos. But it is saying file to large? Only one pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twisted frame

Re: 1977 Cherokee Chief

Post by twisted frame »

Sounds like your Cherokee had an electric window motor in the tailgate at one point and someone installed a manual crank setup or at least part of it. Have you removed the access panel in the tailgate to have a closer look?

Brakes are anyone's guess - probably have to go through the whole system, i.e., pull the rear drums, look for leaks in the rubber lines and the hard lines. See if the master cylinder has clean looking brake fluid in it or is it dark, murky, and dirty?

Once in a while you can find some reproduction sheet metal for our rigs but usually it's limited to floor pans, rocker panels, and maybe rear quarters.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.