My sons '79 Wag build..

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
kZ900Jim

My sons '79 Wag build..

Post by kZ900Jim »

My son who is in the USAF purchased a '79 Wagoneer recently that has some suspension mods. It has a 360cid engine, a t18 trans. The front end has been swapped for an earlier year.
Most of the interior is missing or in bad shape. We are starting on the interior to get it cleaned up then the body will be addressed.

We refurbished the brakes already, the A/C system is next along with some engine upgrades.

I've started with door panel templates for the interior.

'Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Naivete in adults is often Charming, but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity.

66stepside

Re: My sons '79 Wag build..

Post by 66stepside »

That looks like a pretty good start. Welcome to the site!

will e

Post by will e »

Hi, yeah, looks like a solid start. Welcome to the board!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

az chip

Post by az chip »

Welcome,

Love the lift. I need one. The lift being outside cause any issues?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

az chip wrote:Welcome,

I wish that lift was mine... LOL That was the day he picked it up from the PO.
'Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Naivete in adults is often Charming, but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity.

az chip

Post by az chip »

kZ900Jim wrote:
az chip wrote:Welcome,

I wish that lift was mine... LOL That was the day he picked it up from the PO.
Dang. LOL.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I think I know that color. It looks like Toyota Quicksand.

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

So I can get a little crazy with projects sometimes...
My son made a comment about wanting driving lights on the Wag... so i pulled the round covers inboard of the lights and found an nice empty space.

I designed an aluminum replica that will be machined from plate and fitted with a pair of 4" LED driving lights from a Wrangler.

The little 4" units put off some light too.. the light on the front of the Lincoln is from just one unit.

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Re: My sons 79 Wag build..

Post by kZ900Jim »

Small update.. Now that the '79 is now a '72.... :roll:

We have a new manifold and headers for it.. New dual exhaust system is next.

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

Did some work on the Wag this weekend...

Pulled the cat back exhaust off (its For Sale, less than 100 miles on it) and removed the OE manifolds, one was cracked. I added a set of Headman headers, the drivers side fell in, the passenger side, well.. there was a lot of foul language being used! the removal of the heater core, starter and the front drive line later it was in.
A new Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600 cfm Holley was added along with a new chrome air cleaner for a touch of bling. I'm adding a set of chrome stock style valve covers too when they show up.

The not so fun part was pulling up the rubber floor mat, I knew we may be in for some floor pan repair - and I wasn't wrong. We have plenty of light thru both the driver and passenger side foot boxes so new replacement pans are on the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

Back working on my sons Wag build, I pulled the heater core box and fiberglass repaired a hole in the bottom of it using come clay to match the corner at the other end of the box, then taping it over the hole to mimic the corner and then laid the resin and fiberglass cloth on the inside.

I also pulled the fan box as the blower was making noise, turns out the fan was pushed against the plate the motor is mounted on, easy fix so I cleaned everything up and painted the blower housing too.
http://s32.photobucket.com/user/kzjim/m ... v.jpg.html

My son also picked up a Dakota Digital dash for the Wag, he went with the analog gauges, black face with white lettering and needles, its back lit in blue. The unit came with all new sensors for water temp, oil pressure and fuel level. I've started reading the install guide and it look pretty easy so far. It's also GPS enabled. I'll post more pics of the install when the time comes.

We're also getting ready to go to body and paint in the next week or two... Those should be fun pics.. ;)

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

Small update on my sons Wag build..

Bought some parts from a guy of a FB FSJ page and got screwed on the deal.. the famous " I'll get you the tracking info tomorrow" line.. well... kiss that money good-by.

Had a lifter collapse on the way to body and paint.. so back in the driveway it went, engine is all better.

I did get the new distributor housing I designed from the machinist for the my new electronic ignition system for the 360, I'll post more pics when it's installed.
Small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

letank

Post by letank »

kZ900Jim wrote:Back working on my sons Wag build, I pulled the heater core box and fiberglass repaired a hole in the bottom of it using come clay to match the corner at the other end of the box, then taping it over the hole to mimic the corner and then laid the resin and fiberglass cloth on the inside.

I also pulled the fan box as the blower was making noise, turns out the fan was pushed against the plate the motor is mounted on, easy fix so I cleaned everything up and painted the blower housing too.
http://s32.photobucket.com/user/kzjim/m ... v.jpg.html

We're also getting ready to go to body and paint in the next week or two... Those should be fun pics.. ;)
aVery impressive work, any details on that bypass valve for the heater, very interested on your parts list
thank you
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

Michel,
Thanks..
The bypass valve is the same unit as on the '90's XJ's, vacuum operated. It's an O'Reilly p/n 74777, it will come up as a 96 unit, that is the XJ year I have.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Good fabricating work on the fiberglass!!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

will e

Post by will e »

Nice progress. Any pics of the completed lights? You might be able to produce and sell the plates for a profit.

Does that dash bolt in and look 'factory'?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

Timing is everything right?
I sent the drawing to the machinest this morning.. getting them started...
I'll post pics when I get them.

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

Finally back to working on the wag.. I've been picking thru the wrecking yards looking for door parts to build up some custom door panels. I've found some great parts like arm rests with power window and lock controls (90-95 4runner), because we're adding those bits, I also found nice speaker pods with pockets ('00 Land Rover Discovery).
I'm pretty excited as to how the mock up looks so far. I'll be testing some materials to paint the plastic parts the color we want, as my son wants gray interior.
I've also found a company that can provide custom vinyl and cloth panel material with a 1/4" foam backer in just about any color combo.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Love the speaker pods. I may have to swipe your idea. Can always use the extra storage. Does the door shut good with no issues?
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

Swipe away! It's all good...

I'll get a pic of the Rover unit on the mock door panel on the door, sitting in the seat and holding it there it had plenty of room. The extra space is nice.
I will need to add a spacer to the new door panel as the Rover units speaker doesn't mount to the pod, rather the door panel, which is not a big deal as the PO did hack on the door sheet metal and it moves the speaker forward in the door so its not shooting into the seat.
Door-01.jpg
If you should find a Rover in a wrecking yard, chances are the "dual-lock" system may be engaged, meaning you cant open the door from the inside at all.. This is how you get the door open... I hate to do stuff like this as the doors were in cherry shape... :|
Door-02.jpg