78 Chief WT Driver Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

az chip

Re: 78 Chief WT Driver Build

Post by az chip »

1979bettywhite wrote:Started with the drivers side today. Probably all I will get done. Will need a little more time for the passenger side since it is a little worse.

Prep:
Fiberglass for the smaller holes:

First coat applied:

I know some may remark at the odd layout of the tape, but I am not trying to win beauty contests. This will be covered with carpet. Just want it to be solid and stop the rust.

And these arrived the other day:

Motivation is what I call it. Will have to wait for the lift before they go on. 33x12.50s. Got such a great deal on them I could not pass it up. No tax, free shipping, $70 off and a $50 promo card from 4WD.com.

Also, after reading all that I can, I might have been swayed towards the skyjacker softride kit. Seems the consensus is that it rides fairly similar to stock and might be more like 5" versus the 3.5-4" it claims. Was a little worried about rubbing/stuffing the 33s with the other 4" lifts out there.

Also, carpet scheduled to be here today. Went with medium doeskin cutpile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What wheels are you using with the tires you bought?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Spent a good part of the day yesterday with a polisher and some rubbing compound. Paint came out great. Finished it off with a nice coat of wax. Then went to my local car show and entered in for the first time.

Pulled in and was directed by the staff to a spot right next to an 88 waggy. Not a joke, one of the patrons of the businesses in the area pulled out of this spot less than 5 minutes before I arrived. Not saying it was fate, maybe just dumb luck. We were the only two jeeps there.

Lots of interest in the chief as many remarked "you see a fair number of these (the waggy), but you never see these (the chief). Was fun talking to a few folks about it.

No awards won but a fun show with lots of great cars and great variety.

ImageImageImage

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

az chip wrote:
1979bettywhite wrote:Started with the drivers side today. Probably all I will get done. Will need a little more time for the passenger side since it is a little worse.

Prep:
Fiberglass for the smaller holes:

First coat applied:

I know some may remark at the odd layout of the tape, but I am not trying to win beauty contests. This will be covered with carpet. Just want it to be solid and stop the rust.

And these arrived the other day:

Motivation is what I call it. Will have to wait for the lift before they go on. 33x12.50s. Got such a great deal on them I could not pass it up. No tax, free shipping, $70 off and a $50 promo card from 4WD.com.

Also, after reading all that I can, I might have been swayed towards the skyjacker softride kit. Seems the consensus is that it rides fairly similar to stock and might be more like 5" versus the 3.5-4" it claims. Was a little worried about rubbing/stuffing the 33s with the other 4" lifts out there.

Also, carpet scheduled to be here today. Went with medium doeskin cutpile.

What wheels are you using with the tires you bought?
Planning to just use the current ones. 15x8.5. Unless I can come across some 15x8 white wagon wheels. There were some 15x10s on CL not long ago, just did not really want to go to 10 wide. Like the narrower look better.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:Looking good!
I can not wait to get my carpet installed. I need to address all my water leaks to prevent it from getting soggy and rusting out the floor again first, though. :-x
Got any pictures of your chief on 33s? Trying to get ideas of how mine will sit after the install. As I said before, thinking about going skyjacker for the ride quality and clearance.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

1979bettywhite wrote:
HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:Looking good!
I can not wait to get my carpet installed. I need to address all my water leaks to prevent it from getting soggy and rusting out the floor again first, though. :-x
Got any pictures of your chief on 33s? Trying to get ideas of how mine will sit after the install. As I said before, thinking about going skyjacker for the ride quality and clearance.
If all my pictures weren't being held hostage by Photobucket I would. :x
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I can PM you my e-mail address if you don't mind sending them there. I believe you are on Skyjacker 4" lift as well?

HeavyMetalThunder_81

No, I have 4" Rough Country springs in the front and 4" Rusty's springs in the rear. I'd suggest the Skyjacker springs. I'll email you some pics if you'd like.
-Jonny B.
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

Topic author
1979bettywhite

78 Chief WT Driver Build

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Wanted a little something more for the cargo area for when we take the dogs/gear etc. Did this with my CJ as well but used a heavier outdoor mat.

Got an outdoor 6x8 rug at home depot for like $19. Some work with the tape measure and razor and I have a nice rear cargo area. Protects the original vinyl mat as well.

Cut out for the rear seatbelts and screwed it down with the rear trim. Won't be moving anywhere I don't think. And if it gets messed up, oh well.

az chip

Post by az chip »

If it works. Use it.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

78 Chief WT Driver Build

Post by 1979bettywhite »

So another small win for the chief today.

This past weekend we took the dog to have some fun chasing birds. Decided to drive the chief down. Tailgate window was working fine that morning. You can probably guess where this is going. Would not come down when we got there.

Had her crate already set up in the back. Was planning to open the tailgate and let her rest in there during lunch. Of course that's not happening now.

So I had to fold the back seat down, snake her crate to the rear passenger area and fold it down inside the cab so I could get it out the door. Also had to retrieve the cooler because well, beer.

Got home that afternoon and left to go out of town for the rest of the weekend.

Finally got around to working on it today. Was getting power everywhere but no luck on getting it to come down with the dash switch.

Decided to go for a drive as I have found that sometimes a good charging from the alternator helps it to move. Of course after about 5 min down the road and holding the dash switch in the down position she finally budged and came down. Win #1.

I had a random wire laying near the battery in the engine bay that I had not had time to investigate yet. So I said to myself, I wonder what this is for:

Traced it to the back and it disappears into the tailgate. "Hmm, I wonder if somebody had wired the key switch on the tailgate directly to 12v?". Key switch was not working when I got it.

Hooked it up to the battery and like a champ rear window now goes up and down with the key switch and the dash switch. Win #2.

Some days are wins. I like those. I have had a few losing days.

Anyone see any problem leaving things this way? There is an inline fuse as you can see and I will clean up the splicing to have less connections. Should not be any issues I wild not think.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Have not posted in a while as I have been doing minor items here and there. Been driving the CJ a lot since the weather here in GA has been very open top Jeep friendly. But I will be driving the Chief more now that we are going to get into cooler conditions.

Ran into a couple problem that I could use advice with. I will post pictures later:

1. I had a pretty bad oil leak pop up on me on the driver's side of the engine. Had oil all over the exhaust pipe. Driving home one day, had a trail of white smoke coming from the rear. Was concerned the 360 was starting to burn some significant oil. Luckily, it was just the oil leak. I think the majority of it had to do with the oil dipstick where it enter the block. Whoever installed this engine used a fair amount of Permatex Black around the location where it enters the block. The dipstick itself is not anchored to anything at the top of the engine, so it is easily pulled on. After removing some of the permatex and giving it a good cleaning, it looks like a smaller dipstick tube may have been used, or the sleeve is broken somewhere along the way. I got the tube to where the dipstick can be easily removed and put back in and then proceeded to do a better job applying some permatex to prevent the leak. Still have a small leak, but not near what it was. Also have some oil coming from the back of the manifold closest to the firewall.

So, should I replace the dipstick? How hard is that job while the engine is in, manifold on etc.? Is there a source out there for a good anchor for the tube, or should i just try and fabricate something?

2. Ordered up new sway bar bushings as well as end link bushings. The drivers side ones were toast from a long time power steering pump leak. And the rest were pretty dry rotted as well. So in the process of removing the sway bar everything went well except for the end link on the driver's side. Snapped the bolt off on the attachment point at the spring pad. From my searching around, I have not found a source to replace this one.

Does anyone know of one? I assume this is a welded on or pressed fit. Any way to remove it or drill it out and then just replace with a standard shoulder bolt? It is just a sway bar and I can run without it, but it sure is nice to have to cut down on body roll etc.

And last but not least, got all four shocks replaced last week. I don't think any of those bolts had been touched since 1978. Was quite the workout. Shocks I believe are the OEM ones. Took almost no effort to compress them, and when I did, they all just stayed there, lol. Needless to say they were 100% done.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

The dipstick holder is just a small tab with two holes. One goes over the tube, the other hole gets bolted to the valve cover.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Haven't posted in a bit but work has been ongoing.

Had the dipstick the replaced and added the anchor at the valve cover bolt. The one that was in the was actually broken and held together with rtv. Was always a pain trying to remove the stick and had started pouring oil everywhere when driving around.

So back up and running. Drove it a fair amount this weekend (200+ miles) without issue until the last leg. Seems to have developed an exhaust leak somewhere. The shop did have to remove the manifold to replace the dipstick, but I'm not sure it's actually coming from there. But regardless, it's going back in today.

Last but not least, finally found a good direct replacement for the side mirrors that are pretty much OEM (except plastic). Found them at Amazon for $8 for the pair. CIPA 19100. They are flat black mirrors and match the color scheme of my chief well. They also make a chrome version, CIPA 19000. I wanted to stick with the stock look of the chief mirrors. I know they are not the best in terms of visibility but I enjoy how they look on the chief.

Old vs new:

Old:

New:

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Finally back on to doing things to the chief.

Settled on using a rustys lift after seeing AZ's chief with it side. Ordered it up with extended brake lines, stabilizer and a droo pitman arm. It arrived in a day! Great customer service I say!

Luckily I had ordered my BFG KM2 33s earlier in the week so they will go on at the same time.

Got to work on the front today. The shackle bolts came out OK, broke 4 out of 8 u bolts. In hindsight I did have just used the cut off wheel on all of them. Would have gone much faster than the long breaker bar and a cheater pipe.

The fixed mount bolts gave me the most trouble. Both bolts were siezed in the metal sleeve inside the bushing! $&@#!!! I spent the rest of the afternoon and who knows how many sawzall blades. Trying to cut through them. Finally just grabbed the cut off wheel and went to town. Got the both cut, finally.

At this point it was starting to get dark and I really wanted to get the new springs in. So went to work on those. Drivers side was not really an issue. Although I don't like that the stabilizer mount goes on top between the perch and the spring. The locating bolt on the top fits into the stabilizer plate and does not protrude through enough to go into the perch. I guess this is OK in that the bottom of the spring bolt fits through the sway bar plate as well as the lower plate.

Passenger side was a little tougher. As I learned from AZ, the bolt head on the spring pack is too big to fit in the perch. So I slapped on the grinding wheel and knocked the bolt head down some on all sides. Had to ratchet strap the axle and move it forward some. Got it settled in there and snugged down the u bolts. Left the fixed mount and shackle bolts loose. Won't torque them down until I drive it some and let the leaves find their sweet spot.

Threw the shocks on and put her on the ground. Looks great.

I only got a couple pictures from the day but I will take more tomorrow. Honestly I was tired and hungry after spending so much time on cutting out those bolts. Plus crawling around on the concrete all day sucks.

My fear is that I am going to have to deal with the same in the rear. She is not making it easy on me. Plan to cut all the u bolts off tomorrow to make things a little easier. No reason to try and remove the bolts when I am using new ones anyway.

Any advice on the rear fixed mount bolts, please let me know. Have read a lot, but not much related to cutting bolts out.

Front dropped:

Merry Christmas!
IMG_5177.JPG
Will have some more pictures tomorrow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Like I stated, I have only ever installed 1 lift kit. But Aero Kroil made it a breeze. I fear the rear will be a bear if you do not prep with a penetrating oil. I had to use a 4x4 and ratchet straps to bring the spring in to the rear shackle.

az chip

Post by az chip »

az chip wrote:Like I stated, I have only ever installed 1 lift kit. But Aero Kroil made it a breeze. I fear the rear will be a bear if you do not prep with a penetrating oil. I had to use a 4x4 and ratchet straps to bring the spring in to the rear shackle.
Page 8 of my build thread. http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=140

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Well, yesterday was quite the fight. She was not going to give up her almost 40 year old parts easily.

Started working on the rear. Got the shocks out. Just went ahead and cut the u bolts this time with the cut off wheel. Much easier. Got the shackle mount loosened but saw the there was no way I was getting that bolt out as the head was on the frame side.

Honestly I did not even try to loosen the frame mount bolt. Figured it was seized anyway. So the only solution I had was the sawzall. Had a couple lenox blades that finally wore out about halfway through. At this point, I thought she may finally win. But I had determination.

I bought these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-6-in ... /205426155

Let's just say these blades are worth their weight in gold. The went right through those bolts, finally. Was able to get both sides cut. Loosened the shackle bolt enough to get my cut off wheel in there and cut the heads off and pulled the bolts out.

Putting the new Springs in was not going to go easy either. They were almost 3" short from lining up. So I had to resort to the same process AZ took with his. 4x4 post and ratchet straps on top of the spring to stretch it enough to line up the holes. Got them all lined up and bolts in.

At this point I was starting to celebrate a little in my mind. That's when she put up her last major fights.

First, u bolts. Holy #%@$, you would not think a 1/4 in wider spread in a u bolt to the plate was that big a deal. But with grade 8 u bolt, trying to squeeze them to fit results in hoping that no children are around to hear your potty mouth. That was probably 30-45 min to finally get them squeezed enough to go through the plate.

And finally, when trying to get the spring pack bolt head into the locating hole in the perch, the parking brake cables said "no". Had to jack up the rear axle enough to gain some slack in them and then ratchet strap the rear axle and pull to where I needed it. Another almost hour long job. At this point it was dark outside (working in a carport) but I was not giving up.

Got them finally located, u bolts tightened, and shocks in. Still have all my torquing, drop pitman arm, and figuring out all brake lines today. But man what a transformation over stock. This thing should have rolled off the line this way.

I will get a picture up today since it was dark last night.

On the parking brake issue, I have read on here and ifsja.com about similar problems. Seems the short term/easy solution is to disconnect the parking brake from the frame bracket and move the bracket back or leave it hanging. But I can't figure out how to disconnect it? Is it just clipped in there? I don't think it's bolted in. Both sides will be a PITA since one is behind the muffler and the other behind the gas tank.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Ready to rock. Although on the maiden voyage we have a vibration starting around 45 mph and up. Would not think there would have been a driveline angle issue, but maybe so. Maybe it's tire related. But they were high speed balanced. Will try and measure driveline angles tomorrow. And will post more pictures as well.

Happy new year everyone! May all your jeep goals be accomplished this year!

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Planning on going to get the alignment done today, but wanted to see what you guys thought about my drag link angle after the install. I really don't think it's that bad, but I do have the drop pitman arm in case it's too much of an angle. Was going to leave the standard one on there if possible, but maybe it is wise to get the drop pitman installed. Any thoughts?

HeavyMetalThunder_81

I needed one with my 4" lift. Ideally you want your drag link and tie rod as close to parallel as possible to prevent bump steer.
-Jonny B.
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold