Gladiator/Dodge Tow Pile Abomination

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
MJMadness

Re: Gladiator/Dodge Tow Pile Abomination

Post by MJMadness »

Wagoneer-ing wrote:Neat! I wanted to do this exact thing but with my M715. How much longer is that frame compared to the stock FSJ frame?
It's fairly close. There's a couple extra inches in the front, which I'm just going to bury into a bumper. There might be 6" more in the back, if that, it measures about 8' 4" from the back of the cab to the end of the frame. The rear axle isn't in the same position though, it's farther back. This frame was from and extended cab short box, so it's a 138.7" wheelbase, I think a normal long box J truck is 132". The regular cab long box second gen is 134.7", which is a pretty close match.

I'm just going to throw some sort of flatdeck or logger box on it, so it doesn't matter that the rear axle isn't where it normally would be.

Topic author
MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

Engine is hanging there with the NV4500 bolted to it. It does fit.

I have other stuff to post, and questions, but that's for tomorrow.

Topic author
MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

What's interesting is that the GM NV4500 feet basically line up with the Dodge trans mount... But it needs to be about 5" higher.

Firewall clearance is tight on the passenger side, and there is no way the factory heater core setup will work. I think I will buy a Mojave heater.

Steering clears, driver's side manifold clears fine.

Lots of clearance on the driver's side firewall.

I also had the whole front clip on and reasonably lined up, so I could build the core support/front body mounts.

This mount will get changed a bit to make it stronger.

I might actually box in the inner side of both of those mounts, just to fully discourage them from tearing off the frame.

Questions I have (and will look for the answers for)

-Will the stock sized radiator for my 78 front clip cool the 5.3 decently? Is there a common upgrade radiator I can order? I don't have the original rad anyways.
-Is an XJ steering column the best bet for a swap? I think I just need to cut the firewall mount flange off and weld it in a different position? The column and wheel I have are screwed. There is a newer column in the orange cab, but it needs a lock cylinder at least.

Topic author
MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

Boring pictures. But there is motor mounts hard tacked in place and holding the motor.

I will pull the motor back out and weld them up more and add some other bracing, but I want to tackle the trans mount first, and maybe steering column and brake booster setup. Plus I have to swap a 4L in a J10 tomorrow for a friend, so I just needed the engine in and out of the way for the time being.

Also, forgot to ask... Is there covers available for the lower part of the bellhousing when using a NV4500 with a LSx? Must be?

Topic author
MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

Any reason I shouldn't buy this radiator? http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 75&jsn=836

Using the rule of thumb it should be big enough to sorta adequately cool the engine.

Is there a common upgrade radiator to use?

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I've heard a lot of guys mention Griffin Aluminum radiators off eBay I believe...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

jaber wrote:I've heard a lot of guys mention Griffin Aluminum radiators off eBay I believe...
Oof, $810 Canadian, not including shipping.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

Or for almost $600 Canadian, I could buy this plastic POS from Omix that probably wouldn't fit and would blow one of the tanks off within a week. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /make/jeep

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Google it, summit is too proud, could probably get one cheaper off ebay.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

jaber wrote:Google it, summit is too proud, could probably get one cheaper off ebay.
It's hard being in Canada. Most people won't ship or screw you on it. Summit is reliable to deal with.

I'm going to look for a generic most likely, since I can go thicker and taller... There has to be something with more core capacity. That Griffin is the biggest of the FSJ specific ones I found, but it's still only about 3/4 the core capacity of the OEM GM rad.

Topic author
MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

So, sorta progress, er, ish.

Stock Dodge tranny crossmember...

I spent a bunch of time looking at it, and hating its stamped metal formification, and how screwed up Dodge made removing it. The sides aren't straight, they taper, it wedges itself into the frame. I'm guessing this is actually a fairly legit design in regards to ease of assembly at the factory, and overall toughness in service, along with low cost. But it hung down way farther than it needed to, and just wasn't suitable for modification. So I tossed it.

Took a piece of 2x2x.188 HSS and threw some 1/2" XHS sleeves into/onto it:

Pretty weld thread? Nope. But they're not gonna fall out.

And then after much fiddling around I got this all tacked up.

That way the crossmember can actually be dropped, rather than having to go UP to get out (like Dodge intended). Dodge did nothing to make this easier, the area on the frame it bolts to isn't even flat, so I had to stack up/weld together pieces of flat bar just to get it to sit correct. Am I totally happy with this? No, not really, but I bet it will be fine.

It all has to come back out for final welding/cleanup and a few more braces pieces on where the actual mount attached to the crossmember.

Then I wanted to figure out seats, and the brake booster, and such. Which meant putting the steering column I actually intend to use in.

Guess what? An XJ column doesn't fit the 66 dash. I probably should have known that. Hell, I'm probably the only person here that didn't know that. So, the tossup now is if I should swap my 73 dash in, or cut the 66 dash. I'm leaning towards cutting the 66 dash, as I'd rather keep 'more' of the original parts and character of the truck, since I'm using precious little as is. Plus my 73 dash isn't in great shape anyways. Comments?

Also, I ruined that XJ column because I cut it the wrong way. Yay me. Cut the flange off where it bulges out, not at the weld. Luckily that column was a freebie that was out in the shed and didn't have the steering wheel I wanted, but now I'm actually going to have to go buy a column. IF I can find one, pre-96 XJs are actually getting harder to find, being something of an early XJ/MJ fan myself.

Topic author
MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

Trans crossmember is all welded up.

Still not totally sold on it being the most awesome thing in the world, but it's holding the tranny in place right now, so that's a success...

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Looks good to me.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

If you are into the 66 dash then I'd say sure, make the later column fit. Keeping the small-ish gauge cluster opening would be cool in my opinion and trimming around the column mount area wouldn't be too tough to make it look good.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

MJMadness this truck is/was gonna be awesome I hope you got it all wrapped up and can share some photos. If you did get it done I'm curious how the NV4500 is with the LS. I have one I debated swapping in but I have a 4L80 which I have more confident with the power my truck makes. I like the manual better but the auto is pretty nice to holding more HP.
1970 J4000 / Chevy Frankenstein in progress
Soon to be Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e on 35s