1976 Chief - Direction: Unknown

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Morg

1976 Chief - Direction: Unknown

Post by Morg »

I recently purchased a 1976 Cherokee Chief S from a good friend of mine. He purchased it from a local Jeep club member a week prior. I developed a soft spot for it after a few pictures and ended up grabbing it from him after some persuasion. This was in my “Top 5 Jeeps to own before I die” list so I dove in. I was initially planning on buying a cheap little Buick or Oldsmobile to DD while I tinkered with while building my LJ, but reason went out the door and here I am. Three or four years ago this jeep lived over in Kansas, and the Iowa buyer did some work and installed some new parts... New fuel tank, hoses, belts, exhaust, 6 inch lift from BJ’s, new brakes including hard and soft lines, Edelbrock intake and carburetor, and a Mallory HEI distributor. They couldn’t get it to run and the back glass is broken. My first obstacles. My FSJ knowledge is lacking, so this build thread may end up more questions than answers.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: 1976 Chief - Direction: Unknown

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Step one. No more pictures of it until it has shoes that fit!!! Jeeps have self esteem too, ya know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Total bummer that someone cut the flares off. I am crying inside.
Nice start I will say.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

will e

Post by will e »

Since this is an intro and build thread I say 'Welcome from Phoenix".

If it has been sitting for 4 years the first order of business is changing the oil.

Next thing I would do is check for spark. After that, try shooting some starting fluid into the carb and see if it runs for a second or two. If it does, you have a fuel issue. Let us know and we call help you!

I like that color and sticker combo. Nice looking rig. I can see why you fell in love.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Morg

Post by Morg »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Step one. No more pictures of it until it has shoes that fit!!! Jeeps have self esteem too, ya know! Image

With a little luck some 35 inch shoes will be on there in a couple weeks on the factory Ansens. Maybe some wheel spacers as well. I'll have to see how it sits.

Topic author
Morg

Post by Morg »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Total bummer that someone cut the flares off. I am crying inside.
Nice start I will say.
At first I didn't mind. I'm more or a rock crawler guy and don't hesitate to grab the sawzall to gain clearance. I am planning on DD this Jeep and hopefully work more towards the overlanding side of things. That being said, I really wish the previous owner had left them. I really hate the cut up look.

Topic author
Morg

Post by Morg »

will e wrote:Since this is an intro and build thread I say 'Welcome from Phoenix".

If it has been sitting for 4 years the first order of business is changing the oil.

Next thing I would do is check for spark. After that, try shooting some starting fluid into the carb and see if it runs for a second or two. If it does, you have a fuel issue. Let us know and we call help you!

I like that color and sticker combo. Nice looking rig. I can see why you fell in love.
Much appreciated. We did a bit of diagnosis a few days ago. The previous owner actually smoked the new Mallory HEI distributor. There are also a few vacuum leaks along with some serious leaks on the new Edlebrock manifold that was siliconed on.

Topic author
Morg

Post by Morg »

Here’s a few more pictures. I’d really like to get as much rust under control as possible before winter. Iowa winters aren’t extremely harsh like up north, but we put a boat load of salt and calcium chloride on the roads. I guess that’s why we call it the rust belt….
For some reason there is a 1980s Chevy truck steering column in it.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Where at in Iowa? Looks like a little welding needed. Nice looking Jeep.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

It's amazing that the lower part of your tailgate isn't rusted through. I suggest when you get the time, clean out the mud/muck that settles inside there.
The rusty quarter panel forward of the rear wheel well is unusual for an SJ. I suspect both the quarter and door drain holes are plugged solid. For a rust belt jeep, I have to admit yours appears to be in better than usual condition. :)

Topic author
Morg

Post by Morg »

az chip wrote:Where at in Iowa? Looks like a little welding needed. Nice looking Jeep.
I'm SE of Des Moines about 30 min. Thanks!

Topic author
Morg

Post by Morg »

Tatsadasayago wrote:It's amazing that the lower part of your tailgate isn't rusted through. I suggest when you get the time, clean out the mud/muck that settles inside there.
The rusty quarter panel forward of the rear wheel well is unusual for an SJ. I suspect both the quarter and door drain holes are plugged solid. For a rust belt jeep, I have to admit yours appears to be in better than usual condition. :)
I was impressed at how solid the frame was. Thanks for the tip!

tedlovesjeeps71

Nice LJ in the background.
What wheels are on that??

Topic author
Morg

Post by Morg »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Nice LJ in the background.Image

Thanks! 20" Walker Evans beadlocks with 37" Nitto tires. They fit the bill for this summer, but are a little on the "bling" side of wheel/tire combos for me.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Definitely need to get you some good repro interior panels on that ride.

ferrum

Post by ferrum »

Your cherokee is same year and color as mine. I like your strip that looks cool. Mine doesn't have that.
'76 Cherokee Chief

tedlovesjeeps71

Morg wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Nice LJ in the background.Image

Thanks! 20" Walker Evans beadlocks with 37" Nitto tires. They fit the bill for this summer, but are a little on the "bling" side of wheel/tire combos for me.
A can of black paint will fix the being. Image