1980 Wagoneer Family Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
mopar68

1980 Wagoneer Family Build

Post by mopar68 »

So I have a new to me 1980 Wagoneer that was running when it was parked over 10 years ago. Got a sweet deal on it and now the kids and I are going to do one heck of a restoration on it. We are looking for tips, hints and directions to help guide us through this task as we go. For now we sit completely stock with this plan:

LS swap from Pacific Fabrication
4l60E
Going to get a lift kit from BJ's, wanting to run 35's
Interior is immaculate for being 30+years old so going to clean it up, rip up carpet and rhino line it.
Obviously doing a Gladiator Grill swap to match the J10
Eventually axles but not right now.

My questions are:
Really how hard is the GM swap? I plan to rip all wiring out for the rust fix/painting anyway. How hard is it going to be to redo the gauges with the new motor? NOT an electrical guy!!! ( I know that's an interesting thing to be hesitant about considering the magnitude of that job but seriously, I hate wires) :cry:

Going the right direction with the lift for the tire size?

Keeping the transfer case currently in it and bolting that behind the 4l60e. Pros/ cons? It is an NP229 I believe.

Anything else I should look at doing other than replacing weather stripping/ body gaskets and the like? Glass is all good just needs to be cleaned!!

Pics from the day we brought it home and 1 extra of my baby girl and "her jeep" :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 J-10 currently w/ 429CJ/435/205/4.10s D70R/D44F
1980 Wagoneer STOCK currently...Oh, but that is about to change!

twisted frame

Re: 1980 Wagoneer Family Build

Post by twisted frame »

Sounds like a great plan! The BJ's 6" lift should* clear 35s but I have never done it myself on a narrow track FSJ so I can't guarantee it. Might need to trim the rear fender openings a bit? Not sure. Obviously, the 4" won't come close to clearing those without major trimming and reworking the fenders.

Don't forget to inspect the cowl for rust or rot and clean out those kick panels by removing that vent down there.

Can't speak to the LS swap as I have no experience with it. I do dig that Brougham package you have though with the smaller wood paneling strip. I had a blue 82 just like that with those factory steel rally wheels. Does it still have the cloth seats with the sort of a grid patterned velour fabric?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
mopar68

Re: 1980 Wagoneer Family Build

Post by mopar68 »

Twisted: Thanks for the info! We are pretty stoked about all the little cool things with it, too. My son loves the badge you were talking about. The seats are a red leather that is faded, not badly but still faded, but in immaculate condition especially considering it's age. No cracks, tears or anything. I'll take some pics and post once it stops raining here.
1980 J-10 currently w/ 429CJ/435/205/4.10s D70R/D44F
1980 Wagoneer STOCK currently...Oh, but that is about to change!