1988 Grand Wagoneer Diesel Isuzu 4BD1T Ford ZF5-42

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Re: 1988 Grand Wagoneer Diesel Isuzu 4BD1T Ford ZF5-42

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

I've now taken it apart farther than I ever thought I would. The dash is almost out, and windshield and dash probably should come out honestly.

I ordered my Isuzu to SBF adapter and I've been working on getting the floor and firewall prepped for coating with Chassis Saver.

I got the new oil pan for my 4BD1T and also ordered up some Seymour EN-66 (AMC Metallic Blue) spray paint. I am so enthralled with this color!

az chip

Post by az chip »

Looks nice! Going to confuse some folks that hear and diesel and see AMC blue.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

There was a diesel option that was mostly exported.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Awesome progress. Subscribed to watch...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

I took the better part of today to work on the Jeep in hopes that I would have the floor and firewall painted on what is probably the last day above 65 degrees this year. I didn't get that far but I got a lot more things taken apart than I ever expected to (as in further apart than I thought I would take the Jeep for this entire project). It's close, hopefully in another day I can get it to where it's ready to hit with paint if the temps pop up in the high 50s/low 60s. A heated shop would sure be nice.

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Still slowly collecting parts, and tools. Most of my budget recently has gone to some awesome things which help progress but not visibly. Recently I've collected:

175 Amp MIG welder and bottle (that could have bought my doubler adapter...)
Eastwood Contour SCT - awesome tool for stripping paint and scale from metal. Used it to strip my cargo area floor
Ford NP203 and NP205 for my doubler transfer case
Shifter assembly for my ZF5
Ruff Stuff 14 Bolt swap kit
Ruff Stuff traction bar kit
Tires for my wife's van...ugh
36" Husky 15 drawer tool box :-)

I'll be starting a YouTube channel soon! I'll post up a link when I have had a chance to edit some content.

Pics to follow

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

14 bolt tubes are stripped. My buddy's new 60 amp plasma cutter saved me a lot of sawzall blades and cutoff wheels on that job!

I painted most of the floors, and the entire firewall. Have been researching sound deadening options for that. Seems like the best tried and true method there is a closed cell foam (butyl rubber) decoupler topped with a mass loaded vinyl. I think I'm going to do Noico brand decoupler and 1/8" thick MLV. The Noico is about $40 to do what I need for now and I'll likely spend about $100 on MLV. Depending on how I like that setup I'll do the door and quarter panels with the same treatment. Then everything under carpet will get a heat reflective insulation.

EDIT: I had the sound deadening method wrong, I re-read my notes from my research before buying anything and the correct procedure (and what I've started doing) is three layers: foil-backed butyl rubber (Dynamat type product), then a closed cell foam (CCF) as a decoupler, topped with a mass loaded vinyl. I'll do the firewall, trans tunnel, and passenger floor area with this method, under the factory carpet. I've got the butyl on the firewall, I used Noico 80 mil which is about $1 a square foot. I bought a 50 square foot roll of MLV and just need to order some CCF. I think I am going to use Noico 3mm which is about $2 a square foot. I'll do the firewall, trans tunnel, and passenger floor area with this method, under the factory carpet.

The floor is coated with Magnet Paints Chassis Saver.

Picked up a Ford HP Kingpin D60 last night. Very happy with it, it's complete and in great shape.

Last edited by Adventure_Wagon88 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Congrats on doing the sound barrier right and not just ironing down 100 lbs of Dynamat
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

That's looking good. Please post links to where you get your barrier materials from, I might have to copy your plan with this cummins...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Thanks guys! Yeah I've been doing some real research on sound barrier and of course the real car audio nuts have all the best advice on how to make your car quieter than a coffin. I don't plan on running dual 14" subs and a 12,000 amp system so I'm definitely not going to the same extremes as they do, but I mainly want to hush the diesel clatter and tire hum so it's comfortable and we can have a conversation in the thing without losing our voices or going deaf.

So super good news, my engine adapter shipped today!! I tore apart my 203 and had a glass of Tin Cup in celebration. This means very soon I can bolt everything together and finally start mocking up where I want the entire driveline to be! Woohoo!!

Soaking the separated 203 range box in some diesel to flush out the case. That long shaft gets replaced with a new coupler shaft that connects the 203 to the 205 through an adapter.

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Test fit of the 203 range box on the ZF. A really nice combo.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Dual 14's? Best start learning sign language now ;)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

1988 Grand Wagoneer Diesel Isuzu 4BD1T Ford ZF5-42

Haha I'm not actually running ANY subwoofers in there. Was trying to say my Sound deadening goals are to hush the drive train noise, not make my car a sound booth.

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

This shows up, and turns a day struggling on the brink of unproductive (with actual work-job tasks) into a complete loss haha. Ah well I booked one job and quoted another. Deadlines be damned--I'm headed to the shop!

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Oh hey, I started a YouTube channel! I'll still be updating this thread but the YT is meant to be a log of the build, while also a bit of a lifestyle VLOG and somewhat informational as viewers learn along with me. I've filmed a lot of stuff (I bounce around a lot) so as I have some tasks completed I will edit the footage into episodes.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/JeepinJDT

az chip

Post by az chip »

I have no idea where the whole drive line is going but it looks massive! ZF, dual cases, you passed and left me in the dust. LOL.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

az chip wrote:I have no idea where the whole drive line is going but it looks massive! ZF, dual cases, you passed and left me in the dust. LOL.
I haven't decided whether to have the engine stick out the front or have the tail shaft stick out the back :fsj:

In reality, from front of engine to the center of the tail shaft U-Joint, it's only about 3-4" longer than stock, and I'm moving the rear axle back a few inches, so it'll all fit in there fine :-)

bigun

Post by bigun »

Subscribed to your channel thank god for a mute button. Personally I would rather hear the sounds of work over music

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

bigun wrote:Subscribed to your channel thank god for a mute button. Personally I would rather hear the sounds of work over music

I appreciate that feedback, sorry you did not like the music. Most of my videos going forward probably won't have much more than intro and outro music, I'm not going to try to fill the whole thing with songs every time--just too much work!

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

I got the adapter plate mounted to the engine block. With this kit,
Since it uses a Ford starter it places the starter on the opposite side as the factory Isuzu starter. Diesel Adapters supplies a filter relocation "kit" with the adapter, which is really just a plate that bolts to the motor where the stock oil filter mount was, and a new oil filter mount. No mention of what filter to run, so I took it to Advance today and found a nice big Mobil 1 filter that fits. I need to plumb hoses from the plate to the new filter mount, and the complex part of that is tapping in a new oil cooler return line and injection pump supply line which used to be tied into the factory oil filter housing. I've also been spending a lot of time cleaning out my shop lately to make room for the ever expanding pile-o-parts and hopefully I'll add a little more room to work in the process. Right now it's a BEEP show though haha.

Rough fitment of the adapter. Rear Main seal was off as I was replacing it when this was taken. New one is on now.

That little tab in the casting had to go to make room for the starter. You can see the aluminum plate where the oil filter housing was.

Everything all fitted up.

Starting to make some double wall corrugated motor mounts. Only the best materials will do! Factory mounts grabbed 4 holes, mine will grab 6 on each side. Why not? You can see the sharpie outline of the factory one on there.

Only had to try 6 or 7 before landing on this one