Stitching Sally: a 79 Wagoneer build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

Hey all, meet Sally, a 1979 Wagoneer. I just had her brought in from Colorado to New Jersey, bought off Craigslist, sight unseen.Image
Right now she's rough and filthy and needs some care to get her going, but underneath she looks solid, with no real rust to speak of. I'm looking forward to cleaning out the critters and bringing her back to life. Right now she starts and runs and all but needs typical attention and has a couple of issues.Image
This will be a painfully slow and uneventful build thread, mostly for my own records and documentation. It will be full of basic maintenance and newb questions you've all heard before. it won't contain any really cool fabrication ideas or techniques. you won't see a beautiful restoration. You won't even see any great scenery along the way. But hopefully you'll see a guy and his jeep getting to know each other, for better or for worse, and something good will come out of it all.Image
Last edited by Skerrvydog on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

Topic author
Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

First thing to get her running will have to be a carb rebuild, it is leaking fuel out of the accelerator pump - gasket and the vent hole at the bottom.
I notice that this accelerator pump looks different than the one that was on my '87. Do i need to make sure i get a kit with a specific accelerator pump then? are they interchangeable or not?
also, looks like its leaking from the power valve area. Does this indicate a bad power valve, and is that something included with a rebuild kit or something i need to get separately?
I figure i'll dig in and rebuild the carb myself since i have no experience with carbs at all, what better way to "de-mystify" the thing than to take it apart and put it back together and see how it all works.

I don't want to drive it at all with the way its dribbling gas all over the engine.
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.

66stepside

Re: Stitching Sally: a 79 Wagoneer build

Post by 66stepside »

Wow, the patina looks cool. She looks like a great start- nice score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Congrats on your new child!
Hopefully your Motocraft carb has the factory ID tag on it still. Usually at the drivers side front bowl screw. That will assure you get the proper kit. I recall there being more than one pump diaphragm in the Echelin kits from NAPA. Might be your best choice.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Congrats on your new child!
Hopefully your Motocraft carb has the factory ID tag on it still. Usually at the drivers side front bowl screw. That will assure you get the proper kit. I recall there being more than one pump diaphragm in the Echelin kits from NAPA. Might be your best choice.
Nah, tag is gone, but I'll look at the Echelin Kits.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Congrats and glad it made it to its new home. Looking forward to your trials and tribulations, as well as your success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgbreis

Post by mgbreis »

So cool. Nikkormat had offered to go look at that one for me when I was looking. I settled for the convenience of something local that's not nearly as solid. Glad to see it found a home!

Topic author
Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

A little night wrenching tonight and ive got the carb removed to get ready for rebuild. Gotta disassemble and pull the accelerator pump to figure out which replacement pump will work. Sheesh, that one nut under the choke is a pain to get to.Image
Last edited by Skerrvydog on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

mgbreis wrote:So cool. Nikkormat had offered to go look at that one for me when I was looking. I settled for the convenience of something local that's not nearly as solid. Glad to see it found a home!
Right, project Nubby! How's that coming along?
The overall state of Sally remains to be seen, but at least i can say that i feel that the time and effort i plan to put into her seems worthwhile- which wasn't the case with Benjamin, my previous rust bucket.

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Get that carb rebuilt yet?

Topic author
Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

Uh, nope. Still sitting in my mudroom keeping it smelling freshImage.
I'm going to drop the carb off to a guy near trenton that advertises snowblower and small engine repair and has an Ultrasonic cleaner to get it all clean. I'll let you know how it turns out.
However, my in laws know me well and gave me some good Christmas incentive Image
Which promptly paid for the RockAuto cart I'd been building up, a whole bunch of goodies for Sally and Jack (the XJ) including the carb rebuilt kit and vacuum hoses, spark plugs and wires, motor mounts, etc.

The winter months will be mostly planning and learning, and preparing an attack plan for when it warms up a bit to get to work. I have to do the clutch on my XJ first as that's my daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I'm Diggin that Patina! :shock: I had a Cherokee simular to that.

Jeeply

Post by Jeeply »

good luck on your build