1981 Cherokee for $285, sorta

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
o0elvis0o

1981 Cherokee for $285, sorta

Post by o0elvis0o »

I am brand new to the Jeep ownership world but have always been a proud fan. A few days ago I had the esteemed pleasure of seeing an old Jeep being hauled down my driveway. I was grinning ear to ear.

My initiation began with an unloved 2001 Ford Taurus. I had bought the car from a college kid who was returning home and didn't want to take it with him. We negotiated a little but I lost interest until he called again one night and said he was out of time and leaving the next morning. He said I could have the Taurus for $200. I grabbed a friend and was on my way.

The Taurus had an overheating problem but we were able to drive it home only having to stop once to let it cool down during the two hour ride. The bottle of stop leak was helping.

I drove the car for awhile and decided to sell it. Our oldest son needed a way to school and work so I sold it to him for what I had in it, $425. He blew up the motor shortly there after and it sat in his yard. He asked me to come get it and I told him I didn't want it but he could call the junkyard and get $100 for it. He didn't want to fool with it and after a few weeks I dragged it back home. Now what am I gonna do with it...

Months passed and I was looking through Craigslist when I saw an ad for a Jeep Cherokee. Unknown year, unknown condition, $600. I called the guy and asked him if he would trade me the Jeep for my Taurus with a blown engine. He laughed and said no. I laughed too and told him it never hurts to ask.

Then he called back and said he would trade me for $400 boot. I declined. He called again. "Give me $200. I'll even bring the Jeep to you and pick up the Taurus." Deal

I went to look at the old Jeep the next day after work. It looked rough. Flaking clear coat, flat tires popped off the bead, glass everywhere from a busted rear window, the hood chained down, doors hard to open, even harder to shut. I was in love.

I called him and told him I would take the Jeep. He said he would deliver it before sundown. I had put about $85 into the Taurus after getting it back trying to get it running again. It was a lost cause. So, with my $85 in failed Taurus repairs and the $200 boot to sweeten the deal for the man that unloved Ford became a much loved 1981 Jeep Cherokee. Awesome

My wife got home from work as we were unloading it from his trailer. She walked over to it, put her shirt up over her nose in an attempt to filter some of the smell, and said, "That Jeep looks bad as hell!" (I think she likes it, too)

MadMax78

Re: 1981 Cherokee for $285, sorta

Post by MadMax78 »

Congrats on the Jeep. I've got to get my 78 back running. I sure do miss driving it. Dang fire wiped out the wire harness. Oh, Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket!
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'd say you got a good deal there! I don't see any flare rust!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Aside from being dirty it looks pretty good. Tried to fire it up yet?
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

good deal! you even got some replacement seats and a bumper to a vw vanagon
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Nice find!
You could have done much worse for your first FSJ.
Congrats.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Post by o0elvis0o »

MadMax78 wrote:Congrats on the Jeep. I've got to get my 78 back running. I sure do miss driving it. Dang fire wiped out the wire harness. Oh, Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket!
Thanks, MadMax78. I had a '53 Plymouth that I built myself learning how to build cars like those in the magazines. I did all the wiring myself and learned the hard way that you use relays on things like headlights and heaters. One cold night I set the entire dash on fire on my way home from a meet. That was a long night. :)

I totally feel your pain on a burnt wiring harness
Nikkormat wrote:I'd say you got a good deal there! I don't see any flare rust!
Nikkormat, there isn't any rust on it at all. No dents in the body either. I will pull the carpet when I can get the driver's seat loose and make sure there aren't any hidden surprises. :)
Renodemona wrote:Aside from being dirty it looks pretty good. Tried to fire it up yet?
Not yet, Renodemona. I want to do an oil change and light tune-up first. :) But I am VERY anxious to know if it is sound. There isn't any water in the oil and it is still full of coolant so hopefully is has survived the cold spells.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Not yet, Renodemona. I want to do an oil change and light tune-up first
No. That is not it. First you need a rake, trash can, and a shop vac with a 5 hp motor.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

That poor thing's been pretty well neglected, it looks like. Sounds like you're going to bring it back, so that's cool.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Post by o0elvis0o »

CheapJeepBrad wrote:good deal! you even got some replacement seats and a bumper to a vw vanagon
The seats look like mid-80s import seats. They say TURBO on them. I'll take them down to the car wash and give them a thorough cleaning. The fabric looks good on them and if they clean up well I'll find someone who needs them.

As for the bumper...you recognize what it fits by only seeing one end? (jaw dropped) I can get a better picture of it if you would like to see the whole thing.

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Post by o0elvis0o »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Nice find!
You could have done much worse for your first FSJ.
Congrats.
Thanks, Tatsadasayago. I always loved this body style but never thought I would get the chance to own one. I find myself wanting to give it a big 'ol hug, just so happy it is here. haha :)
az chip wrote:
Not yet, Renodemona. I want to do an oil change and light tune-up first
No. That is not it. First you need a rake, trash can, and a shop vac with a 5 hp motor.
Az chip, that was the first thing we did. :) My two youngest boys each held a trash bag and we had a contest to see whose bag was filled first. Man, there was a lot of junk in there. I vacuumed up the busted glass and then sent one of the boys to tackle the carpet and seats.

I want to show you guys pictures of the inside when I finish cleaning it. I am amazed at how good everything is looking!
j20owner wrote:That poor thing's been pretty well neglected, it looks like. Sounds like you're going to bring it back, so that's cool.
J20owner, it was left untouched for what looks like 20 years. The change found in various places are 1993 and older and receipts from grocery shopping are from 1994. I found a burial receipt for a tombstone dated 1994. I think it was his and when he passed his truck sat waiting.

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Post by o0elvis0o »

Had to buy a stronger jack so I could lift this monster to get the flat tires off. Hopefully they aren't too far gone and the tire shop can get them back onto the bead. This week I will also finish cleaning out the interior and get some pictures that show a clean, loved Jeep. Well, on the inside atleast. :)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

My brother got an 81 in the same color this summer. It looked about like yours but after a week of TLC it looks really good. I'm digging those door panels.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

Tatsadasayago wrote:My brother got an 81 in the same color this summer. It looked about like yours but after a week of TLC it looks really good. I'm digging those door panels.
I've only seen those panels on the '83 models. wondering if they were replaced at some time. The interior is interesting.

This paint scheme makes it look like a chief and some of the panels on the interior are vinyl. Laredo had carpeted panels I believe.
Last edited by CheapJeepBrad on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

o0elvis0o wrote:
CheapJeepBrad wrote:good deal! you even got some replacement seats and a bumper to a vw vanagon
The seats look like mid-80s import seats. They say TURBO on them. I'll take them down to the car wash and give them a thorough cleaning. The fabric looks good on them and if they clean up well I'll find someone who needs them.

As for the bumper...you recognize what it fits by only seeing one end? (jaw dropped) I can get a better picture of it if you would like to see the whole thing.
Oh man that was just a SWAG (stupid, wild-ass, guess) on the bumper. If the seats read "turbo", they could be Toyota Supra or maybe Celica. you might be able to make some money back posting those on craigslist.
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

Is that tint on the rear windows factory or film?
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan

az chip

Post by az chip »

Can't wait for the after pics.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

Wow, tore pretty good at photoshop, can't even see the rust. lol
Nice score, what part of the country are you in?
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

az chip

Post by az chip »

His loc under his name says CA. Central Alabama. As opposed to LA, Lower Alabama. Or UA, Upper Alabama.

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Post by o0elvis0o »

Tatsadasayago wrote:My brother got an 81 in the same color this summer. It looked about like yours but after a week of TLC it looks really good. I'm digging those door panels.
CheapJeepBrad wrote:I've only seen those panels on the '83 models. wondering if they were replaced at some time. The interior is interesting.
This paint scheme makes it look like a chief and some of the panels on the interior are vinyl. Laredo had carpeted panels I believe.
Here is a better shot of the door panel. The image came out kinda blurry but it was just to show the color pattern. The same color pattern is on the seats as well but it doesn't look like the exact same colors. Might just be because they need cleaning.