1981 Cherokee for $285, sorta

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Skerrvydog

1981 Cherokee for $285, sorta

Post by Skerrvydog »

Mmmmm fuel pump.
Imagego at it from below.
Hey, I'm from the south too - South Jersey that is. Lol
But I spent some time in Atlanta if that counts for anything, and I'll vouch for the southern kindness.
And I'd probably choose Your LA over the west coast LA any day. Image
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Re: 1981 Cherokee for $285, sorta

Post by o0elvis0o »

az chip wrote:Keep that fire lit. You'll need it for the long haul. :fsj:
I hope the excitement will stay.
Skerrvydog wrote:go at it from below.
Thanks. It was much easier to start there. I couldn't get the hard line off that runs to the filter so I had to snake it out still attached to the pump. Difficult to do but apparently there was a path. :)

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Post by o0elvis0o »

I got the fuel pump on and when it finally had enough gas fed to the carb to actually run the carb started leaking. The fresh gas and 20 years of sitting didn't mix too well. :) Next step: carb rebuild.

I removed the remainder of the carpet and found more rust. Lots on the driver's side. Gonna have to get patch panels welded in for these.

This is behind the driver's seat

And this is the worst. I haven't found any rust through on the body and no dents so if this is all the body repair I have to do then I am pleased.

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Post by o0elvis0o »

I have been looking at all the options for swapping the carburetor for a fuel injection setup. I think the LS route is where I want to go.

We have a Suburban with the LS engine and it has been incredibly reliable for many years. I want the same for this Jeep. Finding a donor vehicle will be easy and with all the previous swaps done already I won't have to reinvent the wheel. Sounds good.

I also want to swap out the 727 for a manual transmission so hopefully I score a manual shift donor truck. :)

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Great score. It'll clean up nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Post by o0elvis0o »

66stepside wrote:Great score. It'll clean up nice.
I think so, too. I haven't had a project vehicle to piddle with in several years. I am very excited this Jeep is here. :)

Topic author
o0elvis0o

Post by o0elvis0o »

I finally drove it yesterday! My first time to ever drive a Jeep also. It was certainly a momentous event. :)

A previous owner had somehow gotten the ignition lock to turn without a key. Dumb me turned it all the way back while I was troubleshooting and locked it. Sigh... No chance to hear it run now!

I had a replacement lock with a set of keys but put off piddling anymore with the Jeep until Christmas was past. This past weekend was unusually warm so it was a perfect opportunity to try again to get the Jeep running.

I had to use a bottle wedged underneath the power steering pump to serve as my gas tank and the Jeep spit and sputtered as the engine roared to life. After all these years it would even idle! And the idle smoothed out nicely as the fresh gas worked its way through the leaky carb.

But it was a short drive because the transmission was slipping badly and smelling hot. I was able to turn around halfway up the driveway and get it back to the house. My wife heard all the commotion and caught a video of the Jeep's return.

The transmission is toast. It can't move on its own anymore but, man, it was fun while it lasted! :D

Here is the video she took https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69wu8TjUa78

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

If a picture is worth a 1,000 words, video must be worth 10,000. Nice video! Your yell toward the end got me laughing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk