Project Dorian

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Snowstorm

Project Dorian

Post by Snowstorm »

This shall be my build thread.

It's going to start as a place to plan and throw around ideas - I'm going to be joining the Navy soon (signing this week), so my truck will be sitting for long periods of time. While it's sitting, I want to throw all of the upgrades and mods at it that I have in mind. Then, as I build, I'll update this thread and hopefully have a comprehensive story of the truck from current life to new birth :D

First of all, there needs to be a plan for the intended use of the truck. I want it to be capable in a lot of worlds - I know this will sacrifice it mastering any one world, but I'm ok with that. I want to be able to haul with it, drive it virtually anywhere, and keep the "spirit" of the J-truck intact. To accomplish all of this, I have a basic idea of the mods I'd like to do with it.

Drivetrain

Motor - I am actually very impressed with the mill it's got now, so I'd like to keep it going until it's time to rebuild again. I have had no complaints whatsoever about the power it delivers and the reliability.

Transmission - I'm still brainstorming on this piece of the puzzle. I like the T-18 I have now, but I'd like better highway rpm's in the long run. I've thought about an NV4500...this would allow me to keep a low 1st and still have an overdrive, plus it's a pretty stout box, from what I've heard. As for the near future, I don't have a problem with keeping the T-18.

Transfer Case - For the near future, I'd like to upgrade the D20 with the heavy duty tailhousing from AA. This would allow me to hang High Angle Driveline's one-ton CV driveshaft off the back. I'd also like to regear the D20 from 2:1 to 3.5:1, using the AA kit. Twin-stick conversion, too. Also, I'd ultimately like to mate it to an NP203...

Axles - I have D44's front and rear, at the moment, but I'd like to upgrade to D60's at some point. Disc brakes all around. Chromoly shafts. Lockout hubs on the front. Lockers front and rear, preferably selectable (I'm thinking air).

Suspension

This is where Project Dorian will really stand apart from the rest. I want it to have off-road capability, but the ability to haul a trailer, as well. I don't want to be afraid to throw some stuff in the bed from time to time. In all of the research I have done, I've found that flexibility and articulation detracts from hauling capability, and vice versa. So, why not try something new to blow old ideas out of the water? Custom four-link front and rear susp, coilovers, and long-travel airbags. This way, I could run the bags at zero most of the time, have all the articulation I want, and air them up for pulling a load, or to balance out cargo in the bed.

This is just a place to throw a few rough ideas. Let the opinions flow!!!

lobie

Re: Project Dorian

Post by lobie »

Thank you for serving the greatest country in the world and keeping us FREE. :-bd

Pics?
77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

http://www.lobie4x4.com
http://www.cfsjc.com