Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

az chip

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by az chip »

Ted, Important point. The Map sensor nipple has to be mounted facing the floor or down.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

SparkyB

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by SparkyB »

I just made a bracket out of aluminum for the map sensor and mounted to firewall. Very happy with the kick down cable. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Thanks guys! I'll mount the MAP similar. As for the kickdown, I'll have to make this work. No money to be buying more parts, let alone wait for it to arrive. It shouldn't be too hard to make work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Thanks guys! I'll mount the MAP similar. As for the kickdown, I'll have to make this work. No money to be buying more parts, let alone wait for it to arrive. It shouldn't be too hard to make work.

No money for parts? False. The Jeep gods demand a monthly offering.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

SparkyB wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Thanks guys! I'll mount the MAP similar. As for the kickdown, I'll have to make this work. No money to be buying more parts, let alone wait for it to arrive. It shouldn't be too hard to make work.

Lol. Well the Jeep gods and I came to an understanding. I don't squeeze money from a dead tree and they will accept my pain and discomfort. Just this once. Not a pound of flesh but they got some quality scrapings and a bit of red gold. Then when the torture phase started they laughed maniacally as fuel poured all over my face and chest leaving some kind of weird goo as it mixed with the asphalt coating. Gotta love being stuck to the ground. Image
As far as progress, I'm close. All the fuel and electrical is done with the exception of the AC on wire that I'm not sure what to tye into. Tomorrow I'll do spark plug wires, make a bracket for the map sensor, and some vacuum lines. Tidy up some of the wiring and see if it'll run.

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
SparkyB wrote:

Lol. Well the Jeep gods and I came to an understanding. I don't squeeze money from a dead tree and they will accept my pain and discomfort. Just this once. Not a pound of flesh but they got some quality scrapings and a bit of red gold. Then when the torture phase started they laughed maniacally as fuel poured all over my face and chest leaving some kind of weird goo as it mixed with the asphalt coating. Gotta love being stuck to the ground. Image
As far as progress, I'm close. All the fuel and electrical is done with the exception of the AC on wire that I'm not sure what to tye into. Tomorrow I'll do spark plug wires, make a bracket for the map sensor, and some vacuum lines. Tidy up some of the wiring and see if it'll run.

The a/c wire just taps into the power lead for the a/c compressor to kick the idle up when it's running. I probably have the install instructions here somewhere, it's barely been a year since I installed.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

SparkyB wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
SparkyB wrote:

The a/c wire just taps into the power lead for the a/c compressor to kick the idle up when it's running. I probably have the install instructions here somewhere, it's barely been a year since I installed.

I did talk to Bill Hamilton for a while today. He reinforced/clarified some of the info you guys have kindly offered. He says the AC switch isn't vital and since my AC is sorta inop because the R-12 is low (More $$$), it's ok to leave it disconnected.
At this point I'm just lost with all the vacuum lines and where they go. I think I'll plug whatever looks like a source and deal with actual needs after I make it run. Image

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ok fuel injection folks... Time to lend some advice.
Got everything hooked up, crossed my fingers and turned the key. Fuel pump comes on. Cool. Follow the instructions to repeat key on/off to prime the pump/system. Go to key on start. Engine cranks but no fire.
I have 12v to constant, 12 to the coil when key on. So what's the issue? Sounds like no fire.
Is it possible the dizzy is too far out or something? I set it to TDC on compression before swapping the dizzy. New one installed with rotor pointing at #1 on the cap.

Help!!! Troubleshooting is not my forte.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Tested the small pink wire to the injection and key on has 12v.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

So I'm a real idiot! Called bill Hamilton, who has been AWESOME in his customer service, to pick his brain. He walks me through testing everything with my multimeter and everything is checking out. Finally he has me pull the coil wire off the distributor to see if it's making spark. It is. Then as I go to push the wire back on the cap the dizzy moves. Drops about 3/8ths an inch. Not sure how I jacked that up but wondering if that is the issue. As penance I will have to play find TDC again (I hate setting TDC!). We shall see if that makes any difference. Ugh!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:So I'm a real idiot! Called bill Hamilton, who has been AWESOME in his customer service, to pick his brain. He walks me through testing everything with my multimeter and everything is checking out. Finally he has me pull the coil wire off the distributor to see if it's making spark. It is. Then as I go to push the wire back on the cap the dizzy moves. Drops about 3/8ths an inch. Not sure how I jacked that up but wondering if that is the issue. As penance I will have to play find TDC again (I hate setting TDC!). We shall see if that makes any difference. Ugh!

That'd do it!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:So I'm a real idiot! Called bill Hamilton, who has been AWESOME in his customer service, to pick his brain. He walks me through testing everything with my multimeter and everything is checking out. Finally he has me pull the coil wire off the distributor to see if it's making spark. It is. Then as I go to push the wire back on the cap the dizzy moves. Drops about 3/8ths an inch. Not sure how I jacked that up but wondering if that is the issue. As penance I will have to play find TDC again (I hate setting TDC!). We shall see if that makes any difference. Ugh!

That'd do it!
Nope... That didn't do it. Image
Reset TDC, reinstalled dizzy. Put it all back together and still crank with no start. The injectors are getting 12v but no fuel is spraying. Bill said it won't do that if it's not creating spark. Power is coming from the coil but something isn't doing its job. Next I'll check the 12v cool wire to make sure it's pushing 12v to the coil (though it reads 12 key on) while starting. And I'll check the wire that goes to the "S" terminal on the starter.
Help!!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Check your negative connection at the coil. Check the distributor body for ground continuity. Then open up the dizzy and make sure the screws holding down the pickup are tight. Verify the pickup connections. Verify the ignition coil connections. If still no spark suspect the pickup or ignition module.

Easy check, hook a tachometer to the negative of the coil and see if it reads RPM while cranking. If not the you know your problem is in the pickup/module side of things.

If all that tests good, slight chance it could be the ECU has a bad injector driver. What computer did the kit come with?

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Tried some carb cleaner in the tbi with the butterfly cracked open. Turn the key and it tries to run. Has spark so this is a no fuel issue. I hear the pump coming on. Any ideas why the injectors aren't squirting??

az chip

Post by az chip »

Crack the input fuel line and turn pump on. To ensure fuel to unit.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:Crack the input fuel line and turn pump on. To ensure fuel to unit.
Ding-ding... You're correct.

So I am the biggest idiot around. Period. No contest!!
Somehow I managed to put the fuel filter on correctly but the fuel pump in backwards!! ImageImageImageImage
Turned it around and it's moving fuel correctly now.
It still wouldn't start though.
Bill actually called ME to see if I had any luck (outstanding customer service!!! Beyond anything I've experienced!!) We discussed my stupidity on the fuel pump (Credit because he didn't laugh or call me a moron! Image). We then moved back to timing. What I wasn't grasping was the relation between the pickup and reluctor vs the rotor pointing at #1 on the cap. So... For the third time, I reset TDC and this time made sure the reluctor and pickup were dead to nuts. The rotor pointed a bit away from #1 but I said screw it, let's see what happens.
Turned the key and....
VAROOOOOOM!!!!!
It's ALIVE!!!!

So happy I actually danced a lil jig! ImageImageImage
I think this is an excellent place to stop for now. Tomorrow I have to put various things back together and finish some details. Also have to figure out why this thing:
Which I had layed over the AC compressor, was making a bunch of sparks. The old wires from the alternator to the starter relay were smoking too. WTH?
Hopefully they are related but I have E no idea why the AC switch idle thingy would be energized.??.
Are these alternators internally regulated? I'm wondering if maybe mine is on the fritz and causing a voltage spike?? Thoughts?

Ok... For now. Just a huge thank you to all you awesome guys who have been following along and offering advice and encouragement!! We did it!!!

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

That's the idle stop (or anti diesel) solenoid. It's hot whenever the engine is running. When you turn the engine off it deenergizes; it lets the butterflies close all the way so that the engine can't run on, getting it's ignition source from hot carbon deposits or glowing spark plug electrodes.

EDIT>>> Follow it back a bit, cut it and cap it. You don't need words like "stop" and "anti" in your engine bay. :P
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

REDONE wrote:EDIT>>> Follow it back a bit, cut it and cap it. You don't need words like "stop" and "anti" in your engine bay. :P
:funnypost:

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:That's the idle stop (or anti diesel) solenoid. It's hot whenever the engine is running. When you turn the engine off it deenergizes; it lets the butterflies close all the way so that the engine can't run on, getting it's ignition source from hot carbon deposits or glowing spark plug electrodes.

EDIT>>> Follow it back a bit, cut it and cap it. You don't need words like "stop" and "anti" in your engine bay. :P
Hahaha! Way too true sir! Especially now that it's actually running again. I'm so excited to see how it drives but need to try not to get too excited or ahead of myself. While the fan is still off I am going to pull some measurements and see about making a shroud for the radiator. I plan to clean up the engine bay some more and was pondering keeping the old harness intact. I think anyone who would buy this if I ever sold it would either keep the FI or if restoring it, buy new stuff instead of trying to fix 30-40 year old wiring. Either way i feel OK with cutting it out.
Need to also see about starting the basic center console layout, finish the stereo stuff and the sub enclosure. Sooo much to do!!

az chip

Post by az chip »

Nice.