Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Well... Maiden voyage is complete but I can't say it's smooth. I guess I have some adjusting to do as well as the computer needs to learn the engines ways? It idles ok if a touch high. Step on the gas and it still stumbles and has some backfires. It made it around the apartment complex and UI p and down the road without killing me so I guess that's progress.
I'll leave it be for now as I have a pile of other stuff to get moving on. Tonight I'll read through the trouble shooting and set up stuff. See if I need to do something else. Bill had mentioned the disc included in the kit but I don't have a computer that will run Windows that has a disc drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferrum

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by ferrum »

Congratulations on your successful TBI install. Have you done TPS and IAC adjustment yet? Those adjustments are important for good idle and throttle response. You can download Win ALDL from internet to do logging as long as you have the odb interface cable.
'76 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

ferrum wrote:Congratulations on your successful TBI install. Have you done TPS and IAC adjustment yet? Those adjustments are important for good idle and throttle response. You can download Win ALDL from internet to do logging as long as you have the odb interface cable.
Thanks man, I'm excited to get it tuned correctly and running as I hope. Ill have to figure out the data logging thing as I am a computer nitwit.

As I'm reading through the directions is talks about setting the timing after the motor warms up. After having to go to TDC to set the thing correctly to start/run at all... I'm confused. Anyone have info?
Warm it up, hit it with the timing gun and set it to... ?????

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

You've probably got the timing close. Now that it's running you can use a timing light to set it to TDC. There is a procedure for setting timing, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Nikkormat wrote:You've probably got the timing close. Now that it's running you can use a timing light to set it to TDC. There is a procedure for setting timing, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
So when I was playing "make it work" I physically set the motor to TDC on compression (multiple times). When I look the timing mark linea up with TDC on the indicator.
The instructions say this:

At this point that is all over my head. Maybe I'm getting burned out..?

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

So I talked to Bill again. Since my (school issued) laptop runs Windows but doesn't have a Cd drive, he's emailing me the files to do the computer tune stuff on Walter. I'm still a little skeptical on my ability to make that work but we shall see.
He said start with the instructions and follow them to the letter. I'll try and work that tomorrow.
He also told me how to set the timing and what to disconnect.
Does anyone know where timing is supposed to be for a 91 360? He said zero*/TDC. That sound right? I'll try all that tomorrow.

Today I'm "crafting". Image
Broke out the glue gun and am trying my luck at making a mold for the fan shroud. So far it seems to be coming along. Hopefully get it made and a layer of glass laid down tonight. Times ticking and I'm way behind! This week has literally Flown by!!!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Set it to zero, the computer handles the rest.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:Set it to zero, the computer handles the rest.
Thanks man. Will do tomorrow.
Out of curiosity... If I set it to TDC before installing the dizzy, why am I using a timing light to set it to zero again??

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

You could be a few degrees off, and being off by any little bit will harm the computers ability to control timing properly and for the injectors at the right time.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:You could be a few degrees off, and being off by any little bit will harm the computers ability to control timing properly and for the injectors at the right time.
Ok, thanks.
I'll go step by step tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully this computer adjustment/input thing works. It already sounds way more... Powerful? Can't wait for it to be dialed in so I can see how it really runs. Image

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

This fiberglass stuff is a love/hate experience. I'm enjoying it but it isn't all that easy. I built the form and I hope it's right. Laying down the first layer now but I have some complex angles that require me to go pretty slow. Guess I'll go as far as I can tonight and let it dry. Tomorrow I'll need to run and pick up more fiberglass cloth. Hopefully I have enough resin for this.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImageImage

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

All I managed to get done today was to set the timing. Everything else fell to the "honey-DO" list.
Oh, and I didn't realize the kit came with a CEL so I found one in my electrical stuff and hooked it up. It works but I can't get it to stop blinking. Tried disconnecting the battery and the computer. Tomorrow I'll try and do the initial stuff on my laptop. I left the battery and computer disconnected so hopefully the cel stops blinking.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

What the heck is going on???
So I start Walter up and he runs fine. Start the process of doing the IAC and other adjustments while following the directions. Key off, jumper wire in the aldl, unplug IAC, etc. Go to restart and nothing. Jeep is showing zero volts. Look under the hood to find this... Again!!!

I ran into this a while back when I stupidly tried to put the wires back on when they fell off a running alternator. Big spark show, fried wires. Spliced in new wires with fusible links and all seemed fine. Now today I get this! What the hell is causing it???
Is the alternator internally regulated?
Could I have fried that regulator when I had the first oops?
Is the issue in the starter solenoid?

HELP!!!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

So I pulled all the new wrap off and follow the burned fusible link wire. Goes right to the alternator stud.
Could it be internally messed up and running at max amp output which causes the fusible link to fry???

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well I just don't know at this point. Took the alternator to O'Riley's to test it. Had the guy run it about a dozen times so it was warmed up. Passed every time. Doni bought some fusible link and a new starter relay. Guess I'll see what happens.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Electricity doesn't work that way, an alternator can't "force" electricity through, you have a dead short somewhere.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

REDONE wrote:Electricity doesn't work that way, an alternator can't "force" electricity through, you have a dead short somewhere.
What he said!

I don't know what could be causing your issue, but on Wyatt's 91 the issue was bad wiring inside the fog lights. Put a new bulb in and fried the fusible links.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Thanks guys... I'm stumped.
So REDONE, a diode or regulator can't go bad in an internal regulated alternator causing full output??
Thanks for clarifying that... Not sure where I learned it could.

So I got some new fusible link and will just wire it all in again using the old alternator. The new one I had at the house is single pulley and clocked different. Also has different lengths of stand off so not an easy swap.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ok... I'm giving up for today. I think I fixed the alternator/wire issue as it hasn't fried anything else yet.
I can't get the disc that came in the kit to load on my computer correctly... Or something.
Bill emailed it to me but that didn't work. Tried loading it on the wife's apple then to a flash drive then reload on my laptop. No joy there either.
It sorta opens on the computer but doesn't read anything from the aldl port. No rpm, no data to be logged, nothing.
Still have a cel that won't stop blinking no matter what I try.
Took the truck up and down the street and it runs like crap. Stumbles and coughs, then maybe runs ok then like crap.
I'm frustrated and tired of BEEPING with it.
Gonna walk away.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Cannot load on to an Apple. Has to be windows. What file was in the email? A new load for the chip?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.