Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ever feel like youve got way too many projects going on at one time? I never seem to get anything done lately.
I have stereo gear spread all over the spare bedroom and a fuel injection kit that I need to get installed soon. Ugh.
Tomorrow I will try and embark on a new one that is tied into the stereo and the FI. Fiberglass. I'm going to try and start one of the several fiberglass projects I've been wanting to try. Both rear areas behind the wheel wells are perfect for some subs. I also want to try and mount the amps onto the back of the seat. That may be a big project if it goes the way I'm envisioning it. Then I also want to build a new center console. My intent for that is to have a place to hide the ECM for the FI, a cubby to mount a CB, and maybe incorporate a couple tweeters for the sound. Not to mention having a couple cup holders that function.
They say the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. I guess I'll try that approach.
On a good note... The wife works for a large moving company. She was hired on full time from the temp agency that placed her there. She works as a move coordinator and assists the salesman achieve their goals. She's knocking it out of the park and has consistently been showing her boss how well she handles every additional task he assigned her. From sales support to move managing, logistics problem solving and even handling their social media presence, she's killing it.
What's awesome about that is we are hoping she can negotiate for a percentage of sales profit since she is a major reason the salesman make bank and the company is posting record profits. Keeping our fingers crossed because if she can even get 1% of sales, it wouldn't be long before we can look into being out of the red and growing our savings account again. That would let us move out of this dinky apartment and into a house. One with a garage!! Fingers crossed folks... We need some good luck!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well... Got this in the mail today so it's time to get something done.
It's a very handy jig to help me run my router in decent circles.

I can't believe it's taken me so long to lay down tape but it has begun. Tomorrow I step into the unknown world that is fiberglass.

Pablo

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by Pablo »

Best of luck getting out debt and into a house. Being in apartments has its downsides. It is always time or money with me. Never both.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

az chip

Post by az chip »

Yeah man! That'll be sweet getting a garage!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

az chip

Post by az chip »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Just put em all in. Blow away those teens in their thumper cars.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Just put em all in. Blow away those teens in their thumper cars.
Lol... I think I've figured out the front door speakers and where the subs are going. Trying to add two 6x9s proving more of a challenge. Loud is good as long as it's full spectrum. That license plate rattling base only grates on my nerves.
Today the rain and cold temps kept me from doing anything. Hopefully it's nicer tomorrow and I can lay down some fiberglass.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Pablo wrote:Best of luck getting out debt and into a house. Being in apartments has its downsides. It is always time or money with me. Never both.
It's a dream. All we can hope is things work out. I look forward to the "stress" of house hunting.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Well...Uhhhh... This is definitely one of the ugliest things I've ever created. ImageImageImage

I'm trying not to feel like it's a failure but damn. I'd be better off shaving it's butt and teaching it to walk backwards. Haha! Hopefully after some trimming and judicious sanding etc it will turn into more of a swan than ugly duckling. I'm not excited about the air pockets and parts that didn't form right. Maybe after sanding I can lay in more glass to add strength. I can't believe this is almost a full gallon of fiberglass resin. Sure isn't cheaper than working with wood/MDF.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Don't teach it anything! It may take over.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:Don't teach it anything! It may take over.
So far the only thing taking over is the smell. It didn't seem so bad at first, even when I was in the Jeep slathering it on. But it seems like the curing process is pretty pugnant. Even carrying it through our apartment to the back porch left a trail of stink. Hopefully I can make some more progress on it tomorrow.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well... Lots of iron's in the fire. I really gotta learn to do one thing at a time because I never seem to get anything done! Image
Today is my last night for school before summer break. That gives me a solid week to try and get progress made on many fronts. The goal for this waggy is to get the fuel injection installed and functional. Then hopefully finish the stereo stuff. To that end I have been making slow progress on the sub box. Fiberglass is proving to be both expensive and slow! I have pretty much completed the inside/back portion of the box. Now all that's left is cutting the MDF for the sub and working on the front part.
As far as the fuel injection, I went by a couple muffler places yesterday to try and find someone to weld in the O2 bung. Midas and Mineke were swamped and wanted 50-80$ to do it. I started to think I'd have to just go down to ft Carson and do it myself until I ran across a small muffler shop. What caught my eye was this beautiful restored CJ in their tiny parking lot. ImageImage
I go in and they had a ZJ on the lift. I ask the guy how much he'd charge to weld in a bung and he looks at me. Then he looks at my shirt and says "You in the military?". Yessir... Army Reserves now. He says "Awesome, pull it inside". I ask again how much since I don't have money to spare and didn't want him to do it and then charge me something crazy like $100.
He points at the wall which is full of memorabilia from soldiers and says "Your money is no good here". ImageImageImage
Spend a while talking to them and eventually the bung got welded in. Yea! While they were working I went next door and bought them some cold cokes at 7-eleven. While looking around the waiting room I saw something that made me chuckle. A small toy of the very first new bicycle I ever owned.
It said coke on it so I guess it's part of some collector series or something. I gotta find one of those someday. Image
Walter seemed to like the attention.
I had planned to start on Walter today but I'm not gonna have time. One of the kids at school asked me if I could tow his truck back to his house today. Have to unload the trailer and help him out.
With the bung in, my only other concern is the gear on the distributor. I had hoped to park Walter and set him to TDC. Pull the dizzy and take it to school to swap gears. Hopefully I can do it without being at school.
From there it will be just a matter of installing everything else. Hopefully all goes well and I can be done by Sunday. I'd like to spend most of the week getting my storage unit squared away.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Awesome that you found that shop! I always try to go local to smaller shops if I can. Did so with my GW to have body modifications. Not really local (4 hrs away), but they guy does amazing things with metal and paint. Unfortunately it is taking forever for him to get workload cleared to tear down the GW as it will consume his whole workspace and it is just him and his wife.

b
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Awesome. What's the shop's name and location?

If I had to have work done and lived close I'd want to take it there. I'm sure a lot of other guys feel the same.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

SJTD wrote:Awesome. What's the shop's name and location?

If I had to have work done and lived close I'd want to take it there. I'm sure a lot of other guys feel the same.
Here is the shop/location. If I need work in the future I can't handle myself I am heading there.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well let's see....
Went out to storage to drop off the Xj and trailer, grab some tools, etc. Ended up there for almost 4 hours! Lol. Wife had asked me to pick up something and when I told her I found it (which is kinda a small miracle!) She says "Cool, I wonder what else I have in there that I forgot I have". For no known reason that kinda got me poking around more than I probably should have. Not only was it over 100 degrees in the container but it used a lot of time. But it did reveal some interesting things.
First was my dad's old gun smithing kit. Has quite a lot of old school stuff as well as some nice micrometers.

Next I ran across a box I didn't remember. When I opened it I see a bunch of brackets. In the bottom of the box are instructions and whaddya know, it's Tad's shackle flip and soa kit. Well... Minus the spring perches. I realize I'm getting older but I can't for the life of me remember when I bought them!

Last was this guy. I know I've seen it in there but for some reason It never really dawned on me that I had this. I knew I had a kinda beat up razor grille but... Well, let's just say Walter will be getting a stronger chin. Image

Lastly after I got home it was already growing late. I did manage to get started on the fuel injection stuff. Pulled the carb, fuel pump, valve cover... Will start tomorrow by setting TDC. Hopefully it all goes smoothly and easy.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

When I started in on my project again I had a similar experience. After a move and sitting for over ten years it was like Christmas when I started going through the stuff packed inside it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

SJTD wrote:When I started in on my project again I had a similar experience. After a move and sitting for over ten years it was like Christmas when I started going through the stuff packed inside it.
Lol! Yeah, it's interesting to say the least. Coupled with the lack of real organization and years of it holding stuff, I let a buddy "borrow" some of the empty space over the years. He had a habit of asking if I wanted "X" that he wasn't using on his Jeep/truck/whatever. So I have several shelves of stuff that he gave me. They are way at the back and I have yet to cull through it all. I know the stock axles off his YJ are there somewhere. It's gonna be an adventure when I start digging. I'll probably have to empty the trailer and use it for junk/scrap runs.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ok... So bear (or bare! Image) with me here folks, couple stupid fuel injection questions.
Put the motor to TDC on compression. Swapped the drive gear from the old dizzy to the new Hamilton unit. Dropped it in and rotated the dizzy housing so the keyway let's the cap line #1 up with the rotor. There is no vacuum advance on this so I'm guessing it is able to make some adjustments internally. Is this correct?

Next is the wiring. I'm guessing the original 3 wire is no longer used, yes?
And that means I can rid myself of stupid brain box too, correct??
ImageImage