Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

az chip wrote:Cannot load on to an Apple. Has to be windows. What file was in the email? A new load for the chip?
The file in the email was supposed to be the same stuff as on the disc. Data logging program and such. The only windows computer I have is my school Dell and it doesn't have a CD drive.
I may head out to storage tomorrow to take some tools and stuff that's cluttering up the apartment. Il see if my old HP is there and if it'll work.
Just frustrating. I have zero skills with computers and my patience with them is even less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferrum

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by ferrum »

Software you will probably need to install is WINALDL. It is free software you can download from the internet. Just download the installer from the internet and don't worry about trying to get it installed from the CD for now. http://winaldl.joby.se is the official website for the software.
Double, triple check your wires to sensors, relays and etc,... Did you get checkout sheet with your TBI kit? If not, you may want get a copy from Bill. That might help you organize and be more methodical. Make sure existing wires that were used with carbs are taken care of and not lay on top of intake or valve cover not insulated as this can cause short.
There's a lot of good information in fuel injection section of forum for troubleshooting. If you are frustrated, take your time reading through some of the thread. Divide and conquer is only way to go for electrical stuff. I would highly recommend put together full electrical schematic (basically 3 sheets printed out and taped together to make one large schematic) and high light connections you made or need to make. If you have software setup questions let me know I can help you out.
'76 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

ferrum wrote:Software you will probably need to install is WINALDL. It is free software you can download from the internet. Just download the installer from the internet and don't worry about trying to get it installed from the CD for now. http://winaldl.joby.se is the official website for the software.
Double, triple check your wires to sensors, relays and etc,... Did you get checkout sheet with your TBI kit? If not, you may want get a copy from Bill. That might help you organize and be more methodical. Make sure existing wires that were used with carbs are taken care of and not lay on top of intake or valve cover not insulated as this can cause short.
There's a lot of good information in fuel injection section of forum for troubleshooting. If you are frustrated, take your time reading through some of the thread. Divide and conquer is only way to go for electrical stuff. I would highly recommend put together full electrical schematic (basically 3 sheets printed out and taped together to make one large schematic) and high light connections you made or need to make. If you have software setup questions let me know I can help you out.
Thanks man.
Yes, winaldl is half the stuff he sent. I can load it, shows up on my laptop but there is no communication. Click the dashboard tab and no RPM etc.
According to the directions I plug the black (ground wire) into pin "A" of the data port. The white wire goes to pin "E". When I do that I get nothing on the laptop. The winaldl doesn't show anything. Not sure if it's a communication issue, a software issue, or ??

ferrum

Post by ferrum »

I think you are hung up on installing serial communication device driver. Ask Bill if he can email you the driver. He probably included it on the CD perhaps with installation instruction.
Once you install the driver, you can select the com port within winaldl setup.
'76 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

ferrum wrote:I think you are hung up on installing serial communication device driver. Ask Bill if he can email you the driver. He probably included it on the CD perhaps with installation instruction.
Once you install the driver, you can select the com port within winaldl setup.
I'm sure he did email it as well as put it on the CD, I just can't get my Dell to make it work.
I'll grab my old HP tomorrow and see if the disc loads on that. Hopefully that'll fix it.
Any idea why I wouldn't be able to clear the code(s) that are causing the CEL to blink? Supposedly disconnecting the computer and/or the battery for a bit should do it. But each time I've tried the light starts blinking as soon as the key is turned to on.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Just so my bad luck continues....
I was juggling stuff around at storage so I can park the suburban. I should call the cops because I'm a murderer. ImageImageImageImageImage

Only thing g keeping me from wanting to cry is the minor knowledge that it wasn't perfect before. Was good enough for wall art though. Now... Not so much. ImageImageImage I hate myself right now.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well... Vacation is over and I feel like I've gotten almost nothing done.
The fuel injection is installed but runs like crap. Radiator shroud is only partially made. Speaker box hasn't been touched. Stereo unfinished.
Grrrr.... I suck!

As I try and get back on an evening schedule I'm up, drinking coffee, and trying to find out what is wrong with these computers.
I realize that loading from an Apple to PC could cause issues so I grabbed my old HP from storage yesterday. It has issues of its own but works. I loaded the disc Bill sent with the kit and "think" it installed both WinALDL as well as the drivers.
I transferred those (copy/paste) to a flash drive and reinstalled them on my school computer. So I now have, theoretically, two computers that have the stuff on them.
I'll go out and see if either will communicate with the Jeep. If not... I may just break out the SIG and pump a few hundred rounds of 5.56 into it all!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ok... I give up. I've tried two computers and every way imaginable to get the stupid WinALDL program to work. Gonna call bill tomorrow and see if he has any ideas. I'm at a complete loss and am beyond frustrated. Ready to pull it all off and slap a carb back on.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I haven't read the thread yet sorry. But will send you a pm. I can probably help.

I used an FTDI 5V serial to USB adapter. I am endlessly dealing with serial comms and 5V microcontrollers in my robotics /electronics tinkering.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Sent chat thru Tapatalk.

What kind of gizmo are you using to communicate with the ECM? Depending on your answer I can point you to the correct drivers. Or to a better gizmo.

If you want I can send you a little device to at least tell if you are getting a signal on the data line. It is a simple little circuit board with LED and resistor.

Is the adapter gizmo connected to ECM ground?? That is a must. One wire to data, one to ground (ie the case of the ECM). That is all you need.

360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

shimniok wrote:Sent chat thru Tapatalk.

What kind of gizmo are you using to communicate with the ECM? Depending on your answer I can point you to the correct drivers. Or to a better gizmo.

If you want I can send you a little device to at least tell if you are getting a signal on the data line. It is a simple little circuit board with LED and resistor.

Is the adapter gizmo connected to ECM ground?? That is a must. One wire to data, one to ground (ie the case of the ECM). That is all you need.

Sent you a reply.
The gizmo that goes to the data port is basically just a USB thing with two wires. White goes to the "E" port and black goes to ground "A" port. The USB end has a circuit board in it... I only know because the case fell off. Image
Gonna call bill again today and see what he has to say. If he can't help I'll put out a mayday and see if anyone is willing (and able) to come help me tune this thing.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ok... Update.
Talked to Bill and have to say He really is a first class dude! His customer service and willingness to deal with my idiocy and computer ignorance is top notch!
He patiently walked me through the entire software install all over again and it became clear that my reading the directions was seriously lacking. I read them but still failed to fully comprehend it. Bill patiently walked me through and didn't once call me a moron like he probably should have.
So the first issue was having to create an actual folder for the winaldl. I wasn't typing in the proper "name" to make the file.
Next issue was when I would set up the USB and it loaded drivers I wasn't catching which port it was going to. That's why I kept getting the COM1 issue because the USB was plugged into COM3. He walked me through how to tell the aldl screen to use port 3.
Cool. So now it was all ready to do its thing.
We started to try and see what would happen but the CEL kept going into a rapid flash which he says is indicative of limp mode. He thinks there is an issue with the chip in the computer and is going to burn a new one and send it to me.
It sucks because I'm chomping at the bit to see how this thing does but life happens. I'm just thankful to Bill and all you guys who have offered me advice and put up with my incessant questions! Walter will run.... Eventually. For now I'll just wait on the chip and go back to other projects that need doing.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Since I'm waiting on a new chip for the fuel injection I decided I'd try and make some more progress on the fiberglass stuff. Made a decent mess and some forward efforts.
I decided that the rear enclosure is big enough for the sub (10") and a mid speaker. Got both holes cut out after making sure placement works and I wouldn't hit anything. Then decided that I didn't want the sub to fight the mid in a sound wave war so I started to make a smaller enclosure for the mid. It should still allow plenty of air for the sub and keep it separate from each other. Time to hurry and clean up some for school. Back tomorrow with more. Image

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Progress is still slow but at least it's starting to look like something... I guess?

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

So the replacement chip came in the mail today... Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.!.

Big THANK YOU to Bill for his awesome customer service!!!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well...

Again. Image
Got the new chip installed in the computer and started from square one installing and setting it up again. Once I was satisfied I took it for a little jaunt through town and up the highway a bit. At first it was having some coughing and sputtering issues but eventually they mostly disappeared. Got on the highway and, following the directions, had several WOT bursts.
Holy COW!!!
It's like a whole new Jeep!!! ImageImageImageImageImage
I was data logging the trip and will continue to do so for a bit. I guess the computer spends a while learning stuff?? I don't really know (or understand) most of all the tabs on the program but I do know I have a big smile plastered on my face! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Ok, celebration is over. Time to get back to the other pile of things needing doin'.

The speaker box seems to be coming along pretty good too.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

See, you'll get her licked eventually.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Balls, dude! :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Hahaha.. thanks guys. I guess the chip being bad made a yuge (!) difference..
Just got done taking all the tools and stuff that accumulated in the back out. I need to vacuum eventually but so much more to do before something like that is a priority.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

The GM TBI does sort of learn a little via the Block Learn Mode table. But it is also in closed loop loop after warming up the O2 sensor. So if the base VE tables are a little off it shouldn't matter a lot once in closed loop. WOT is a different matter-- that is open loop.