Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

az chip

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by az chip »

The waggie is possessed! Oh no. Add that to the list of fixes. Holy water and stuff. Not sure if oreillys stocks that.
Hope it gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

az chip wrote:The waggie is possessed! Oh no. Add that to the list of fixes. Holy water and stuff. Not sure if oreillys stocks that.
Hope it gets better.

Lol. It's just... Weird! I'm wondering if it's something in the drivers door master switch. I haven't pulled it apart and cleaned/lubed it like the passenger side yet. Maybe that'll help.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Not a lot to report lately on the waggy. Last night in school I pulled the other two tires and changed the valve stems just to be safe. Also rebalanced all 4 and did a rotation.
Spent a little more time messing with the speaker box... Maybe it'll be done someday.
I noticed the last couple tanks of gas that it's been running kinda weird. Hesitation, some back burps, a little erratic. Today I filled up with premium to see if that changes anything.
Since this is a long way from a new, high compression, performance motor, what could cause it to run so poorly on 87? Anyone have any thoughts??

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Not a lot to report lately on the waggy. Last night in school I pulled the other two tires and changed the valve stems just to be safe. Also rebalanced all 4 and did a rotation.
Spent a little more time messing with the speaker box... Maybe it'll be done someday.
I noticed the last couple tanks of gas that it's been running kinda weird. Hesitation, some back burps, a little erratic. Today I filled up with premium to see if that changes anything.
Since this is a long way from a new, high compression, performance motor, what could cause it to run so poorly on 87? Anyone have any thoughts??

Do you have a locking gas cap? Just wondering since the valve stem incident, maybe something got into the tank?

I always check the inline fuel filter to see if there is crud in it, too.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:

Do you have a locking gas cap? Just wondering since the valve stem incident, maybe something got into the tank?

I always check the inline fuel filter to see if there is crud in it, too.[/quote]

Interesting thought.... Which didn't even occur to me. Image no locking cap so I guess it's possible. I'll run this rank and see how it does. I ran premium all the way to Ouray and it was ok.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
66stepside wrote:

I always check the inline fuel filter to see if there is crud in it, too.
Interesting thought.... Which didn't even occur to me. Image no locking cap so I guess it's possible. I'll run this rank and see how it does. I ran premium all the way to Ouray and it was ok.[/quote]

Sorry to give out that kind of negative vibe, but it was my first thought.

I'd still check the inline fuel filter. I use the clear plastic versions so I can see what's getting caught up in them.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:
Sorry to give out that kind of negative vibe, but it was my first thought.

I'd still check the inline fuel filter. I use the clear plastic versions so I can see what's getting caught up in them.

No... I'm lucky enough that I'd be targeted for something stupid like that. I'll look... There's a clear filter before the pump on the frame. Hopefully it's clean.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Since the FIL is coming into town next week I'm having to put all the projects on hold. That also means, unfortunately, that all the tools, spare parts, etc that have been hiding (sorta) in the spare bedroom all need to go to storage. Ugh. In an effort to keep from making it too much duplicate work, I decided to kill a few birds with the same stone.
Gave Walter an oil change. Now the new filter is out of the way, the jug of oil and my drain pan can go to storage.
Also finally swapped the grille. The original is cracked at the mounting bolts and the faux chrome is coming off in chunks. So... Out with the old:

Midway:

Done:

The muscle isn't perfect but hopefully if I polish at it there will be more shine.

Also pulled off the broken fog lights as I got tired of seeing their rusty selves. Not sure what will replace them since all my "extra" off road lights are round. I think that may look weird. We'll see.
Ok, time to get back to moving stuff around. Image

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The muscle grill is my favorite in the "newer" Jeeps- but with either grill, your Wagoneer is looking good; it has a great stance.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:The muscle grill is my favorite in the "newer" Jeeps- but with either grill, your Wagoneer is looking good; it has a great stance.
Thank you sir!
My favorite is undoubtedly the rhino setup, then the razor, then muscle. Unfortunately, this being a 91 and my effort to keep things easily reversible, it was muscle or nothing. Wasn't about to try and fit round headlights (which I prefer), especially after we bought these expensive trucklites. Image

az chip

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by az chip »

Your Waggy has "Muscle" now! I like it.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:Your Waggy has "Muscle" now! I like it.
Lol. Thanks! If I can iron out the fuel injection to where it seems 100% correct, it may have a lil muscle.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

The wag is looking good bud.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Haven't had much time (or honestly interest) to mess with the waggy much lately. Been DDing it to school everyday and suffering through the oddities that are occurring with the fuel injection. Got to school a little early today and decided to pop the hood and see if I could notice something/anything. It's not running hot and has more power by far than the carb did. But it does some annoying things.
Sometimes when I give it gas from a stop it will stutter and baby cough through the tbi. Too much pedal only amplifies it.
It whistles. I notice it while idling through my apartment complex when I go home at night. It sounds vaguely like a turbo.
I had thought perhaps it was a vacuum leak so today I ran a propane torch around everything to see if the idle changed. Nothing. If I gently open the throttle just a fuzz I can hear the whistle. Sounds to be coming from the tbi area.
This is a brand new Hamilton kit so I can't see how anything is worn out.
Anyone have any ideas or thoughts??

az chip

Post by az chip »

Are the injectors seated properly? I had mine out of rotation once. Did not sound good. Although yours sounds more vacuum whistle than mine. Check for throttle plate being wobbly. TPS is tight? Any other vacuum stuff loose?

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Did you miss any ports by chance?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Pretty sure I've got all the ports plugged etc. Hopefully Friday I can dig a little deeper. Need to run a vac line to the ball so the cruise, 4x4, and heater stuff works again. Currently the rear CTO is all capped. Guess I'll tie into that one??

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

It could just be that your engine is so nice and quiet that you can hear the IAC whistling.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:It could just be that your engine is so nice and quiet that you can hear the IAC whistling.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...! That'll be the day.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Hey man I wouldn't doubt it, my IAC was never set right but I could hear that thing over the 401 on teenager exhaust.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.