Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

az chip wrote:Power valve.
Again? Image
So stupid question... Can the power valve be replaced without taking the carb apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az chip

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by az chip »

I was guessing. But lack of power is the usual list of golden oldies. I can only guess from here. What do you hear or see? I try and remember stuff but I cannot recall the details of your build up so far. Fuel, air, spark. Any combo of vacuum problems. Vacuum advance working? I can spitball but you are onsite with the Mk 1 Mod 0 eyeball. The power valve is right in the front. I believe it can be swapped. I would not start there. Did you have an overheat event awhile back? Did that do something?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Yeah... It's all guessing at this point. I think I need to stop stressing over it and expecting it to run well. I'll just live with it until I can put the FI on and pray that solves most of this.

az chip

Post by az chip »

This is my opinion only, I think you need to find the problem and not spray and pray that the TBI is going to fix everything. If you have issues after the TBI install you have now changed so much without hope of a base line reference. Again, just my opinion. You know the situation more than I do.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Seems like a timing issue. Ive been playing with the dizzy settings today and trying to find what works. Before I started all this the vac advance was pretty close to the belt for the P/S pump. Added a little more advance and took it for a run up the street. Better acceleration, still stumbles. Added a little more, better still and less stumble. Added more and it went south again. Bad initial throttle and way low power with slight backfire. Backed it off and it's a little better I guess. Idle seems ok, rpms climb ok. Top end seems really weak. I realize this thing is old and the gear/tire aspect is poor... But I'd just like it to get up and go when you mash the gas pedal. This thing just kinda mushes it's way forward and no matter how much throttle I give it... Just slowly lumbers ahead.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Hmm... So it's got some advance now and has a bit more get up and go. What's interesting is when I'm parked and rev it up. As it gets up in RPM it honestly sounds like its... Idk, dieseling? Rough-ish?? Hard to explain. Guess I'll back it off some more and see what I get. There has to be a sweet spot in here somewhere.

az chip

Post by az chip »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Hmm... So it's got some advance now and has a bit more get up and go. What's interesting is when I'm parked and rev it up. As it gets up in RPM it honestly sounds like its... Idk, dieseling? Rough-ish?? Hard to explain. Guess I'll back it off some more and see what I get. There has to be a sweet spot in here somewhere.

Valve float?

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:Valve float?
I don't think so. I'm wondering if I've just created a mess when dealing with the vacuum lines. The CTO on my t-stat housing was jacked up so I deleted it. Currently the vac for the dizzy is running to this port on the base of the carb.
Image not sure if that's correct or ok..

And I found this hose which isn't attached to anything on one end. It looks to go to the gaggle of vac lines by the EGR but where the other end is supposed to go is beyond me. Thing is like 3 feet long so who knows.
ImageImage
I just zip tied it to the wiring loom for now to keep it out of the way. It doesn't seem to be drawing any vacuum.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
az chip wrote:Valve float?
I don't think so. I'm wondering if I've just created a mess when dealing with the vacuum lines. The CTO on my t-stat housing was jacked up so I deleted it. Currently the vac for the dizzy is running to this port on the base of the carb.
Image not sure if that's correct or ok..

And I found this hose which isn't attached to anything on one end. It looks to go to the gaggle of vac lines by the EGR but where the other end is supposed to go is beyond me. Thing is like 3 feet long so who knows.
ImageImage
I just zip tied it to the wiring loom for now to keep it out of the way. It doesn't seem to be drawing any vacuum.

If I get down that way and your still having the issue I'll come help out. I think we can get it licked. Sounds like you have too much timing.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Nikkormat wrote:
If I get down that way and your still having the issue I'll come help out. I think we can get it licked. Sounds like you have too much timing.
I'd appreciate it. I was thinking too much timing too but with it backed off to where the vac advance almost (or sorta) touches the belt, it's a dog. Here's where I'm leaving it for now. Image

Fwiw, ok m going to start Friday on the fuel injection install. If you want to come down one day and help, that would be awesome!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Just changed the fan clutch... Cool. Now I noticed the AC compressor isn't coming on. WTF? Don't know how long ago that stopped but I know it was working before. Grrrr...

az chip

Post by az chip »

Yeah, It's hard troubleshooting on the web.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:Yeah, It's hard troubleshooting on the web.
I know, right? Haha. Oh well. I'm calling it a day as far as the Jeep is concerned. It's runs better. Changed the fan clutch. Moved and fixed the drivers side wiper which wasn't parking correctly. Also got the driver side windshield washer sprayer working. It was clogged. Tomorrow at school I'll see if we can diagnose why the AC compressor stopped working. Hopefully just a wiring issue....

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

I hate people. Seriously...

Drive to school and as I park I do my normal look over the gauges. Fuel tank is over half.
Come out of school and am warming up the Jeep. After about 2 minutes it sputters and dies. Turn the key and it won't start. Look at the gas gauge and it's empty.
Given that there are some shady folks around I believe someone siphoned off my gas. WTF!
Thankfully I was able to roll it to a more level spot and get it started. Just enough gas left in the tank to reach the gas station.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

So I may be looking at changing the title of this thread. The wife (understandably) grows weary of not having a reliable car and has been looking at used stuff on line which is newer. I'm not really excited about her getting back into a car payment again but I understand her need and am getting a little tired of the situation myself. There is good and bad to this.
I've managed to tone down her caviar tastes to better meet our ramen noodle budget so she's looking for something that she can keep her payments to much less than $200 a month. Currently she is looking at '05-06 Mercedes ML350s and Jeep Grand Cherokees. The MBs I know nothing about. The jeeps... Well, there seem to be good and bad GC out there. I just don't want her getting a bad one that I have to wrench on constantly to keep her happy. If anyone has any suggestions on years/drivetrain stuff as well as what is a definite to avoid, I'd welcome the input. I think the V8 would be better than a 4.0 due to the added weight. I hate the transmission options and hear bad things about them. Also need to see what years are effected by the heater blend door disaster.

So what's the good news in this? Well... If we find her something she likes.... Guess who gets the Waggy.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Just look for a well maintained, garage kept creampuff of any kind of car in your budget. Every make and model is a lemon when you ask on the internet, but stop at any stop light in Colorado and you'll see two Grand Cherokees before the light turns green. If they were half as bad as the internet makes them sound, they wouldn't be so common. ;)

Full disclosure: I am heavily Jeep-wagon biased.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Stay away from the Benz'es. Instead of nickle and diming you to death it will be a quick death by shock and awe to your wallet. Benz has not built anything worth having since the W123 in the 80's. Everything now has 10 metric tons of wire and computers that cost a fortune to replace and none of it keeps working through the warranty, let alone after.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I'd take a 4.0 I-6 Jeep any day over the 4.7 v-8s out there. 4.0s were available to 04, and the magnum 5.2s were available from 93-98, 5.9s in 98 only. Might check out durangos. Up to 03 could be had with the 5.9. Again avoid 4.7s. They seem to be hit and miss with longevity.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I don't share the hate for the 4.7. There's 131 4.7L GCs on Craigslist in the springs. There's only 95 with any of the 6 cylinder options (up to the current model). Granted, this comparison doesn't account for survivor bias, but if they're as bad as their internet reputation suggests, they'd all be in a junkyard by now.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Hey dizzy guys.... Stupid question. Is it possible to have the dizzy maybe one tooth off? Would it run at all even if poorly??