Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So what am I missing here? Cold start, couple taps of the gas peddle and turn the key. Jeep starts and runs but shows this for voltage:

Tap the gas to clear the choke and the voltage rises to this:

So why does a lower idle with the choke cleared male the voltage rise... Shouldn't it be the other way around? Or at least full charge while warming up either way??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adventure_Wagon88

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

I'm sure someone has a more technical answer than me but I think it has to do with a regulator or something that kicks on when the alternator spins up and starts putting out more than a certain amount of voltage.

az chip

Post by az chip »

The wires are old and the resistance is high.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:The wires are old and the resistance is high.
If by old you mean more than 6 months? I don't think that's the issue as they were replaced when we first started this resurrection. They aren't fancy race wires but they don't have any issues that I can tell.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

No belt slip, right? I'd check the connections at the alternator, may be the regulator ad others have said. They do funny things as they age.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

I'd bet the regulator for a couple reasons.
1: it's old.
2: it survived my little welding experiment from a while back. Maybe it has an issue associated with that.

Tonight's interesting discovery pertains to the AC system. I noticed recently that the AC compressor wasn't coming on. I remember it did a while back, before the timing chain etc but now, nothing. So tonight I played with it during our break and made a simple discovery. It works. Just not when plugged in. I guess the thing it plugs into is some sort of pressure switch?? Not sure if it's the high or low pressure but I'm left with a couple ideas.
Bad pressure switch? It is strangely rather rusty and probably the original one? I'll have to see how I can test it.
Theory 2 is that somehow it has lost some/all pressure in the system, perhaps when moving the compressor out of the way for the timing chain? I didn't disconnect any AC lines but who knows if one started leaking.
I really hope it's not a loss of coolant/pressure as it's still, as far as I know, running R12. Not cheap to fix or to convert.
What do you guys think? And for those who converted to R134a, how much did you change and how bad was the cost?

az chip

Post by az chip »

The line behind Mr. Crusty does not look good either.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Yeah, that fitting is strangely rusty. Not sure why that one and so very little else on the Jeep is rusty but it is. Unfortunately I know what happens if I go to replace it. Loose the R12 and have to retrofit for 134a. Not cheap or simple since it would be ALL the lines, the receiver-drier, and the thingAmaBob in the under dash unit. Pretty much everything but the compressor and the plastic box. At 26+ years old it would be foolish to only replace some.

On a good note, I noticed while driving to my Reserves this morning that the brake light on the dash went out. I'm not sure when that happened but I guess whatever was causing it fixed itself? I'm guessing the little check ball thing in the proportioning valve came unstuck. No fluid loss and the brakes work ok so I'm gonna go with my theory until proven otherwise.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

My son used some type of replacement for R12 in his Toe yota. Been working for a few years. Got it on ebay or Amazon. I can find the name if you want it. Didn't require flushing the old oil out like 134 does.

I believe it's flammable which causes some folks concern.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Thanks guys. Am I correct that nobody carries the hoses anymore and they have to be made?

Curly

Post by Curly »

Ted, when you replaced the timing chain, did you pay attention to the timing marks on the cam gear? The set I put in (from BJ's) could be installed to advance VALVE timing (not ignition timing) 4*, standard setting or retard Valve timing 4*. Is it possible you installed the gear on the incorrect mark?

As for your a/c, I doubt you can find a vendor for the a/c lines. I just redid my entire a/c system. The compressor was bad when I bought my 77, system was empty. I replaced everything you mentioned, had the condenser and evaporator blown out, added a psi switch (mine had none/0/Nada), new lines made, new York compressor and clutch. Converted to 134,which also meant new fittings for the compressor. System is working, blows cold, but loads the electrical system at idle. I had to add an idle solenoid to raise the idle when the a/c is on. (Holley carb and solenoid). If I had to do it again, I would find the sanden bracket and install a sanden compressor. I spent close to $1k by the time I finished. I might have saved a bit by shopping amazon or eBay, but I bought most of my parts from NAPA since I trust their parts.

Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Found a port behind the carb that wasn't plugged. Image
Put a hose on it, disconnected the dizzy advance and plugged that port too. Took it around the block and it ran a little better. Still not great but definitely better.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I found that when mine would light off but not sustain N1. I came upon a gold mine at the JY. A 1981 Waggie with all the original vacuum stuff still there and in good shape. I got it all for 10 bucks. Keep looking. My vacuum to the t case was wide open and still hooked up. :shock:

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

So I plugged the dizzy back into the base of the carb and it drives even a little better still. I'll look for my propane bottle and try and do a better leak test in a few days. For now, it gets out of its own way at least. I'm at the point where I think I can begin blaming some of it on the tire to gear ratio issue. 33s and 272s are never likely to let me chirp a tire. Haha.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The power valve vacuum line is connected right?

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Which one is that??

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Forgot to add that I got the back window to go back up so now the rain doesn't come in. I crawled in the back with a power probe and got an eyeball inside the tailgate. Yikes! the PO did no justice to this thing. I suppose the 8+ feet of house Romex running into the tailgate should have been a warning but yeesh! Factory wiring is chopped all over. House wiring is Wire Nutted to it and the rest is a disaster. Only good news is the motor works. It took some finagling until I saw where the drivers side lift arm is bent pretty bad and missing the clip. Was able to push up on the glass enough to line the arm into the channel then raise it to fully closed. I am not looking forward to dealing with that but at least for now it is sealed up.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

So I did my penance today. Wife and I went and closed the deal on her new (used) car. Finally!!! 2014 Hyundai Elantra hatchback with all the bells and whistles for that year... And a payment we can manage without eating ramen noodles. Best two parts for me is I won't have to get up at Dawn's crack to take her to work and go to school on only a couple hours sleep. But... The very bestest part of it all is that this now means Walter is ALL MINE!!!
Woot!!! Woot!!!
In an effort to sorta celebrate I made a lazy trip to the pick&pull junkyard. Wasn't really looking for anything particular but I enjoy roaming around looking. I thought I had a rear speaker thing from an XJ to try and use but a closer look showed it was cracked pretty bad. Oh well. Then I stumbled across a rear cargo cover for a grand Cherokee... Which made me pause. Looked it over and it was in good shape, retracted fine, etc. Only problem I had was it didn't look to pull out far enough to cover a waggys cargo area. Since the metal housing had a dent I decided to pursue the idea but not with a grand Cherokee version. That led me on a trip up and down all the aisles until I found the only other vehicle type in the yard that had a cargo cover. 1st generation Ford explorer 4 door. I found a bunch that had the mounts for the cover but it took me a while to find an actual cover. Works well and is a bit longer but the only downside is it is light grey. I grabbed it anyway along with the brackets and hopefully can see how hard it is to make fit. On the way out I spotted one last 1st gen explorer and stopped to look. I was disappointed to see that the cover wasn't there but did make an interesting observation. The red interior of that (1993) explorer was very close to the same color as my 91 waggys. I'm only guessing as I had nothing to compare it to but it looked close! Who knows... Maybe it'll be a source for stuff down the road.
ImageImage

Waggys:

Last edited by tedlovesjeeps71 on Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Waggys may be a lil more maroon/brown-ish...?