Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

shimniok wrote:The GM TBI does sort of learn a little via the Block Learn Mode table. But it is also in closed loop loop after warming up the O2 sensor. So if the base VE tables are a little off it shouldn't matter a lot once in closed loop. WOT is a different matter-- that is open loop.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Thanks.
I'll admit it isn't perfect yet but was a lot better on the return trip up the highway. Not much if any stumble or hiccups. I'll drive it a few days and see if it improves. If not I will try and post the data and maybe you guys can look at what may be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well... I guess we win some and lose some.
As I'm waiting for the next layer of fiberglass to dry on the speaker box I turned my attention to the fan shroud.
Make that attempt at a fan shroud.
Ugh... What a disaster that is. So bad I'm not even gonna photograph it.
I'm gonna have to decide if I really want to try again. Glass ain't cheap and it takes a lot of time.
Think I'll call it a night and go shower and relax.
If I don't try for another shroud there is still the center console needing made.

dodgerammit

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by dodgerammit »

Go for a cruise in the Jeep. Always makes me feel better after it is running correctly. Especially when something else isn't going right
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

dodgerammit wrote:Go for a cruise in the Jeep. Always makes me feel better after it is running correctly. Especially when something else isn't going right
Yup, that's what I do too.
Honestly, this isn't a big deal. I'm still a real newb when it comes to fiberglass so I'm not letting it get to me. I also don't tend to quit. Image
I had an idea as I was pulling apart what was left of the form for the shroud and realized I was trying to complicated of angles and such. So after putting a nice gash in my hand...
I started over. Image
The new idea is to build it in several levels/layers, if that makes any sense? Im able to reuse the main part of the form and decided to try slathering it in Bondo. When it cures I'll sand it down tomorrow and probably wax it (to aide in release). I'll try and just start with the portion that would meet the radiator. When that 'glass cures I'll trim it up and see about making a new ring. Then it's a matter of joining the two, adding reinforcement, sanding, and wa-La! Radiator shroud! Image

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

I just keep on learning stuff. The hard way.... Haha!
So I'm not sure the Bondo was even needed, perhaps just an extra waste of materials and time. I just got done sanding it down (roughly) and am shooting some primer on it.
First thought, should have just painted the bare foam from step one.
Second thought, why is the primer eating the foam too? Image
3rd thought, working with this stuff isn't as easy as ya'd think... Lots of learning curve going on with me. Gonna shoot more primer/let dry/etc until I get a decent layer. Then I'll spray some paint and see how that goes. Once the foam is covered so the fiberglass resin doesn't eat it, I'll try waxing it again. Then it'll be glass time.
Now I see why so many people don't do fiberglass. Image

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

I think I'm using too fancy of wax. Had a can of McGuire's in the closet. It's taking forever to dry. I really want to be laying glass but have to be patient...

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Drove Walter to school tonight. Overall I'm ecstatic but there are a few glitches. Sat at a red light for about 4 minutes or so and it just shut off. No warning or nothing, just died. Turned the key and it fired right back up. It's done this a couple times in the last couple days and I'm not sure what that could be. I'll check the ground on the fuel pump tomorrow because that's the only thing I can think of to look at? It doesn't chug or sputter or anything, just shuts down.
The other thing I need to do is replace the dang steering box. For a "fresh rebuilt" O'Riley's box it has way too much slop. Feels like I'm driving my XJ with the sway bar disconnected.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Lazy Independence day so I'm working on fiberglass projects.
Fan shroud 2.0 is in the works. Going much slower this time so I don't screw up like last time... We shall see.

Also roughing out the center console form... Kinda reminds me of the statue of Liberty's torch. Image kinda fitting today. Haha!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Lil more progress... Dinner time, gotta cook. Back later.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well... Since I'm out of hot glue sticks I'm pretty much done for tonight. Guess I'll walk the dogs and call it a successful day.

ferrum

Post by ferrum »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Drove Walter to school tonight. Overall I'm ecstatic but there are a few glitches. Sat at a red light for about 4 minutes or so and it just shut off. No warning or nothing, just died. Turned the key and it fired right back up. It's done this a couple times in the last couple days and I'm not sure what that could be. I'll check the ground on the fuel pump tomorrow because that's the only thing I can think of to look at? It doesn't chug or sputter or anything, just shuts down.
My setup is fuel only TBI and I had similar engine shutdown happen at the traffic light waiting for light to change. Every time this happened to me, it was caused by my distributor being loose and moving. Somehow ECU sense sudden change. Check your distributor hold down and see if it is still tight. I managed to semi-strip out the thread by keep adjusting my timing. I now have modified to set screw stud and nut instead.
'76 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

I'll check it, thanks!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Making some more progress on the FG stuff.
Center console is taking shape. Have to pull the passenger seat to make putting it in and out easier for test fitting. Have a couple neat ideas for it so stick around. Image

Also, the fan shroud is starting to look like something. Ish? Gonna start glassing it. Hopefully it doesn't say all to hell.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Finally starting to look like... Well, something? Getting the sharp angles is a real Pita. Getting the foam form not to melt is too!! Worst so far is mixing a cup of glass and having it set up too quickly and having to waste most of it. Image I'm still learning but waste drives me nuts as it =$$.
I'll let it cure tonight and then try and get the form (or what's left of it) out of the shroud. It'll take a lot of clean up to make it look presentable but at least it mostly is looking like it should.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ever try to work on a project when there is civil unrest in the house? Man... It sucks.
HH6 is on the war path which is unusual for her but she's damn good at it. I have a pile of stuff to get done but she is in my head and causing things not to get done. That of course only magnifies my frustration and makes it worse. Circular hell!
I figured getting out of the line of sight would be a good idea. Unfortunately all I have is the back patio to escape to. Also figured I'd tackle something easier just in case things get ugly. To that effort I need to get the radio working. Never a simple deal, I'm making new door speaker mounts. Trying to hurry but it's fighting me more than I'd have thought. SOOOOO much to do... Can't something just be easy for once?

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

This is nuts... All I can guess is this is some kind of "special" aluminum I pulled out of storage?? I've gone through 5 jigsaw blades just cutting out the speaker hole!!!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Dear lord... 2 1/2 hours to make one mounting bracket! I'm getting old!!!
There HAS to be something odd about this aluminum plate... Even the angle grinder with a cut off blade had a struggle cutting it. Image
Well... Here's the passenger side front door speaker mount. Other side should hopefully go a little faster since it's a mirror of this.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Well, aluminum will gum up a cut off wheel, they make special discs for aluminum.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

That's crazy. But it seems like most of my projects are harder than I expected. Maybe I am too optimistic :)

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:Well, aluminum will gum up a cut off wheel, they make special discs for aluminum.
Yeah, that part I get. But this stuff is hard! Various tooth count jigsaw blades don't like it and even new drill bits are struggling. Thank God I'm done.!. Well, with that part anyway. Noticed the other day when it was raining how much water was getting in the door. Still have the passenger panel off so it was kinda obvious. Going to try and whip up some enclosures kinda quick.