Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I don't doubt it really. I did a lil reading tonight on the whistle and it's somewhat common? I'm now running an open element Edelbrock air cleaner but it isn't any more or less noisy than when I had a stock one on.
I'll spend some time Friday looking it over more. First priority is getting the vac lines routed for 4wd/cruise/heater thing.
I'm wondering if the cough/tbi burp thing is fuel related. Like maybe the in tank pickup for the sending unit isn't long enough so an air bubble gets sucked into the pump. I hate that my ragged out suburban with its 27 year old tbi runs like a champ and no whistle while this brand new stuff is full of oddities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ever feel pulled in multiple directions only to get little of anything done?
Last night before school I decided to take a peep at the fuse block under the dash. As I grunted my way down there I noticed two wires that had connectors on them that looked like they were supposed to go together. Plugged them in and whatdoyaknow, the power seats work again! Lol.
Guess I must have disconnected them when running the fuel injection harness through the firewall?
Today I decided to do a lil more work on my XJ. Figured if I go to sell it people would appreciate it if the power grand Cherokee seats would work. Ran some alligator clips to my second fuse block and made sure the seats moved. Passenger side was strangely working backwards, just before the jeep filled up with smoke.
Somehow I reversed the wires and it didn't much like that. Thankfully no real harm was done and the only casualty was the jumper wires. Got all the wiring done properly and they both work as they should. I chose not to wire the seat heaters even though I'd like to. Just not sure how to do it in a vehicle that didn't have them originally. Don't want to burn anything to the ground.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Haven't updated this in a while as I haven't driven or messed with the waggy in a while. As I was coming home from work in the suburban yesterday I felt the sputter of empty fuel tank. I know when it does that I have no reserve and need to find fuel ASAP! Pulled into the gas station behind my apartment and wouldn't you know, they have No gas! Image all the pumps have plastic bags over them. Knowing I wouldn't make it to the next station I walked to the apartment. Today I figured I'd drive Walter to go get a 5gallon can of fuel. Since it hasn't been run in a few weeks I popped the hood to check fluids and do a general look over.
Noticed this bit of surprise...
Hoping that explains why it ram so poorly after my last attempts to make it run right I plugged it on securely and fired it up. Maybe it's wishful thinking or whatever but it did seem to drive oil-ish to the gas station and back. Image
Maybe this week I'll try driving it some more and see if it's actually any better or if I'm imagining it.

Nikkormat

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by Nikkormat »

I'd check the others too, wyatt had a similar problem with them popping off because they weren't fully seated on the plugs.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:I'd check the others too, wyatt had a similar problem with them popping off because they weren't fully seated on the plugs.
Yup, I did just that as well as verifying they all ran to the right plug. Guess it just didn't get pushed on well enough in the frustration of trying to get it to run better.

Prorealtor1999

Post by Prorealtor1999 »

What year is it also I'm in need of a new windshield for my 88 GW what was the cost if you don't mind me asking.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Prorealtor1999 wrote:What year is it also I'm in need of a new windshield for my 88 GW what was the cost if you don't mind me asking.
Mines a 91. IIRC, the windshield/install was just under $300? They had to do it 3 times because it's such a pita so worth every penny.

Prorealtor1999

Post by Prorealtor1999 »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Prorealtor1999 wrote:What year is it also I'm in need of a new windshield for my 88 GW what was the cost if you don't mind me asking.
Mines a 91. IIRC, the windshield/install was just under $300? They had to do it 3 times because it's such a pita so worth every penny.

Wow 3 times that's crazy, that price does'nt sound too bad though, did that include all the parts as far as the gaskets and what not? Also thanks for responding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Prorealtor1999 wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

Wow 3 times that's crazy, that price does'nt sound too bad though, did that include all the parts as far as the gaskets and what not? Also thanks for responding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Gasket, windshield, and labor. The first guy they sent broke the new glass on install. Second guy (few days later) screwed up the gasket. Third time they sent 3 guys, one being an old guy who knew about it being a struggle. Still took them most of the day and I still have a few leaks. When the weather warms up I'll have them do it again.
It's difficult getting the glass to set in the gasket and the stainless trim is a nightmare. I'd rather pay them and let them fight it any day!

az chip

Post by az chip »

Where you at buddy?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

I'm here man. Life has been pretty... Strange (?) Lately. Working full time at a shop and school at night doesn't leave much free time. Not sure how much longer ill have the job as I keep getting no paycheck. I like working there and have been trying to be supportive while it is going through some financial struggles but at some point I will need to stop being generous and look for some way to pay my bills. I'm hoping things will turn around but I've been hoping that for a while now and there has been very little in the way to show its actually getting better. We will see.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

[quote="tedlovesjeeps71"]I'm here man. Life has been pretty... Strange (?) Lately. Working full time at a shop and school at night doesn't leave much free time. Not sure how much longer ill have the job as I keep getting no paycheck. I like working there and have been trying to be supportive while it is going through some financial struggles but at some point I will need to stop being generous and look for some way to pay my bills. I'm hoping things will turn around but I've been hoping that for a while now and there has been very little in the way to show its actually getting better. We will see.

It isn't all gloom and frustration though. In the process of downsizing the shop I was able to lay claim to some "useless" stuff.
Scored a brand new winch that was warrantied due to a broken free spool lever. Will try and fix it and use one of my solenoid packs from burned out winches to see if it'll work.
ImageImage

Also snagged a swing out tire carrier from a high end company. The bushing was bad so it got warrantied too. Instead of seeing it head to scrap I will try and modify it to work on one of my jeeps. Here it is behind my scrambler. Not to far off considering it was designed for a JK.
ImageImage

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Hey bud.. idk if you got your windshield figures out yet but I got mine replaced by a local guy (front range) to do my windshield, "3D auto glass" he did a fantastic job and still had a small leak that he came out and fixed right away.

He also taught me how to remove a rear view mirror mount with out chunking out the windshield. He did everything possible to prevent further rust and prevent further leaks... I had to give minimal help.

As far as chrome trim I'll never put that crap back on another waggie I see why it is actually terrible and hazardous to the health of these vehicles....

87 grand Wagoneer mostly stock
90 grand Wagoneer (stalled 5.3 project)

az chip

Post by az chip »

Glad to see you still swinging away. Jobs are not much fun without the paycheck. But hey, Jeeps!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Time to update this thread and add some questions.
Now that I'm (finally! Thank God!!) Back working, I've been driving the waggy to work the last few weeks. My opinion is it sucks.
It idles ok-ish but power is very low. The CEL comes on randomly. Under load it occasionally sounds like its dieseling. Fuel mileage is awful (even compared to regular FSJ mpg).
I’ve also noticed there is something weird with fuel availability. When I fill it up I can go a day, maybe a day and a half, before the gas gauge drops to full/just below. Once it gets there, and hard stop causes the gauge to read almost empty/1/4tank. By day three this is much more pronounced and I’ve had it shut off a few times as a quick stop made it read empty and the fuel pump starves(?). So to add to the annoyance, when I go to fill up it’ll usually only take about 10 gallons. So every 2-3 days I have to top off for my 28 mile each way trip to work.
So a 56 mile round trip x 2 days uses 10 gallons of gas. If my math is right, that’s 11.2MPG? That actually seems better than it feels like. Is my math wrong?
So why can’t I use the entire fuel tanks worth of gas?
Anyone have any thoughts on how to make the fuel injection run better?

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Time to update this thread and add some questions.
Now that I'm (finally! Thank God!!) Back working, I've been driving the waggy to work the last few weeks. My opinion is it sucks.
It idles ok-ish but power is very low. The CEL comes on randomly. Under load it occasionally sounds like its dieseling. Fuel mileage is awful (even compared to regular FSJ mpg).
I’ve also noticed there is something weird with fuel availability. When I fill it up I can go a day, maybe a day and a half, before the gas gauge drops to full/just below. Once it gets there, and hard stop causes the gauge to read almost empty/1/4tank. By day three this is much more pronounced and I’ve had it shut off a few times as a quick stop made it read empty and the fuel pump starves(?). So to add to the annoyance, when I go to fill up it’ll usually only take about 10 gallons. So every 2-3 days I have to top off for my 28 mile each way trip to work.
So a 56 mile round trip x 2 days uses 10 gallons of gas. If my math is right, that’s 11.2MPG? That actually seems better than it feels like. Is my math wrong?
So why can’t I use the entire fuel tanks worth of gas?
Anyone have any thoughts on how to make the fuel injection run better?

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

If your running the stock sending unit there's probably a hole in the pickup tube... if your running intank fuel pump it may need a bathtub (for lack of better word) around the pick up at the bottom to help retain some fuel during hard acceleration/breaking when you have low fuel.

Sounds like the fuel float may be messed up it shouldn't be so dramatic.

Poor power well it's an AMC 360

Poor fuel economy that's bout where it should be even fuel injected unless you tune the BEEP out of it. Do a trans swap if you want to see economy jump

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Cheapthrills wrote:If your running the stock sending unit there's probably a hole in the pickup tube... if your running intank fuel pump it may need a bathtub (for lack of better word) around the pick up at the bottom to help retain some fuel during hard acceleration/breaking when you have low fuel.

Sounds like the fuel float may be messed up it shouldn't be so dramatic.

Poor power well it's an AMC 360

Poor fuel economy that's bout where it should be even fuel injected unless you tune the BEEP out of it. Do a trans swap if you want to see economy jump

Thanks for the feedback. The pump that comes in the Hamilton kit is external. I think you may be on to something with the sending unit. Maybe a hole in the pick is there and causing some of this. I’ll try and pull it out sometime this weekend and see what I can find. Can’t remember if I reused the old one when I had the tank out or not. I know I cleaned it and did new roll over valves and hoses from the sender to the metal line. Kinda hoping there is a hole or something.
As for power.... I get that the 33s don’t play well with 272 gears. But I’m having to get all in the throttle to get moving and manually downshift to 2nd if I need warp speed. Haha. Something just isn’t working right. The exhaust smells a little rich and I’m wondering if somehow the injectors are firing late or maybe the dizzy isn’t advancing right.

Last edited by tedlovesjeeps71 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well this sucks balls! Took the Waggy out to storage because I need the suburban for a couple days. As I’m driving out I notice a small, 1/4” crack at the base of the windshield. In the last 3-4 miles before getting to storage it rapidly grew to about 8” climbing vertically up the windshield.
That windshield was replaced a couple years ago now and it took them (Safelite) several tries and broken windows to get this one installed. It still leaked after 6 months or so but whenever I took it in they just squirted some sealant (RTV?) at the gasket to make it stop.
Now maybe it was the cold, I don’t know. But this pisses me off because I know they won’t say their install, which sure seems suspect, has anything to do with it. Fml...not how I want to start the new year.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Well this sucks balls! Took the Waggy out to storage because I need the suburban for a couple days. As I’m driving out I notice a small, 1/4” crack at the base of the windshield. In the last 3-4 miles before getting to storage it rapidly grew to about 8” climbing vertically up the windshield. ImageImageImage
That windshield was replaced a couple years ago now and it took them (Safelite) several tries and broken windows to get this one installed. It still leaked after 6 months or so but whenever I took it in they just squirted some sealant (RTV?) at the gasket to make it stop.
Now maybe it was the cold, I don’t know. But this pisses me off because I know they won’t say their install, which sure seems suspect, has anything to do with it. Fml...not how I want to start the new year.
Breath buddy this is small BEEP not worth stressing over... it won't help (I'm the pot calling the kettle black I guess)