Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Nikkormat

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:This works great as a rough guide: http://howellefi.com/pdfs/AMC_V8_TBI_in ... update.pdf

You'll have to keep in mind that the carb has different ports than the TBI but otherwise that should set you up right.
Thanks for that. A quick read sounds like they say keep the CTO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EGR CTO, it's on the passenger side of the manifold. Keeps the EGR from opening when the motor is cold.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Nikkormat wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:This works great as a rough guide: http://howellefi.com/pdfs/AMC_V8_TBI_in ... update.pdf

You'll have to keep in mind that the carb has different ports than the TBI but otherwise that should set you up right.
Thanks for that. A quick read sounds like they say keep the CTO?

EGR CTO, it's on the passenger side of the manifold. Keeps the EGR from opening when the motor is cold.
Got a pic by chance?? Just want to make sure I know what it looks like.

Today was hectic even though I had an extra set of hands. My best friend drove down from Highlands ranch to help wrench on Walter. He also needed to borrow my trailer so it was a win-win deal.
I'd love to say two marginally skilled wrench turners just blew through today with ease but that isn't the case. I forgot how much work a timing chain really is. More so when one of the workers is (the good kind) OCD and the other knows his wife will be depending on it. By the end of the day we managed to get it all apart, new chain installed, and a small portion of the rest put together again. Tomorrow I'm on my own but hopefully everything is straight forward.
We also got the gas tank skid I got from Nikkormat pretty well cleaned up and ready for paint. Used some rust remover all day and a good spray with water at the end.
ImageImageImage

Also found some more left over bees nest. Image

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Long day and I'm bushed. Ran out of time at the shop and had to finish the last few things in the parking lot once everyone went home. The good news is it ran... enough to get back on the trailer anyway. The bad news is some weird part on the carb sprung a fuel leak. Ugh. Gonna try and fix it tomorrow so I can test drive it. At least the timing chain stuff is good. I was worried it would have been off and wouldn't run.
Here's a pic of the weird carb "baby filter?" thing (to the left of the ACC pump).

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea i remember when i did all that work to my moms 4.0 last year. I did it dead winter outside too.. that sucked.. timing chain balencer, water pump thermostat... at least i did it in a day. Did my 5.9 zj's timing chain and all that fun stuff bout 6 years ago.

My 90 is probably due for that too, I know i need to remove the intake manifold to replace the gasket as i have both rear bolts leaking coolant slowely outside the engine.. UHG.. Might as well do the chain and all that fun stuff at the same time.. glad yours works lol.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

The part you are referencing is a fuel filter. I believe those also have a built-in, pre set regulator to keep the pump from overcoming the float. If I were you, Id check that screw on the top directly above the accel pump. Looks loose.
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

CheapJeepBrad wrote:The part you are referencing is a fuel filter. I believe those also have a built-in, pre set regulator to keep the pump from overcoming the float. If I were you, Id check that screw on the top directly above the accel pump. Looks loose.
Damn! Good eye!! Thanks man, I guess that is why it looks like fuel may have leaked there.
Any reason I can't remove that filter? The carb this one replaced didn't have it and the metal line that feeds into sits further forward on the motor thanks to the added length of the filter.
Now that I can look at a pic I see there is even a fram part number on it!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

So today I got the fuel leak sorted out as well as the hoses for the heater core. Played around with some vacuum lines and ran a new, direct hose from the manifold port (shared with the vac booster) to the dizzy. Not sure if that's correct but it works.
Drove the Jeep to pick up the wife at work. It drives. Can't say it's perfect but it runs. It does seem to have more pep but it also has an annoying hesitation/stumble from a stop unless you're careful in giving it gas. It actually shut off once thanks to that. I can't tell if it's a fuel/carb issue or something related to timing. Hard to want to mess with it too much as I'm hoping the FI will make it a moot point.
When we got home I did a few other necessities. Replaced the wiper blades (which was not as easy as it should have been and they feel loose). I then swapped the incandescent headlights for the trucklites. Wow! What a difference. Stupid easy to install and the light color/output is amazing.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

They don't look annoyingly blue either!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:They don't look annoyingly blue either!
Not at all. I wish the camera did them justice. They are very white. No blue that I can tell and definitely no yellow like the stock ones.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Those Trucklites are nice. Congrats...
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

I'm an idiot...! *bangs head!!!!*

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ever done something epically stupid and while you're doing it you realize how dumb it is but it's too late??
I'm a full blown moron!!
Wife's Jeep wasn't charging well and before I go to pick her up it won't start. Open the hood and notice a couple things.
1) the 2 wire plug on the alternator had fallen off. Uh, ok? Plug it in.
Hook up the suburban to jump start it and nothing.
2) notice the wire that runs from the starter to the regulator(?) on the fenderwell had fallen off. WTH? Plug it back and it starts right up.
Cool... drive to pick up the wife and it's running pretty good but still not much charging going on. I'm thinking the alternator must have an issue.
Get to her work and poke my head under the hood while I'm waiting for her. That's when I notice the single wire which is held on the back of the alternator by a nut had fallen off. Guess when I was hurrying to put it together Sunday I missed checking it. So the nut is gone and like a first class idiot, with the Jeep running, I try to put the wire back on the stud.

Yup, it arcs and I watch as the two fusible links go into meltdown. Jeep dies. I smell the shame of burnt wiring and am thinking "What an IDIOT!! You KNOW better!!!"
Well... thank god for small miracles. Check things over. Put the wire back on the alternator. Turn the key and he fires right up. Phew!
So tomorrow I'll head to storage and grab my wiring stuff, fix the burnt stuff, and replace the alternator with a fancy chrome one I have that I'll probably never use. (I hate chrome).
I still can't believe I did something so stupid! Thank for it started and no major carBque happened.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Also, noticed the adapter I used to run the vacuum line from the distributor to the intake vac port melted. ??? Not sure why, didn't think it got THAT hot on the manifold?? And this was before I did the stupid electrical thing.
So where does the dizzy vacuum line supposed to go? Right now it's on the same port with the hose that goes to the brake booster. Should it run to the base of the carb??

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Do you have a 3 port cto switch that only has 2 hoses hooked up? Use the vacum supply for that for you distributer or tee off a manifold supply. The brake booster should be the only thing on that port.
As far as your spark shower at least you didn't repeat to see if you did what you thought you did.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Dont feel bad ive done that before on my moms 4.0. I was replacing her alternator. I hooked it all up tried to start it. noticed it wasnt charging.. DOH forgot to plug the red power wire into it.. but of course did i unplug the battery before i plugged that wire into the alternetor ? Nope i put the loop on the screw and because it wasnt clamped down by the nut it started arcing and shocked me, and so i pulled my hand away and it was zapping and starting smoking and i ran to get the fire extinguisher and then decided to run back after i saw smoke billowing out of the engine bay. I reached my hand in there grinned my teeth and grabbed the wire and pulled it off the alternator.

It fried the alternator. and the ground wire going to the engine bay fuse box/power distribution box was melted completetly.. But thankfully the fuse panel was okay and all i had to do was replace the ground and the alternator.

Sometimes i get a little fuddy dutty when doing things lol

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yeah it could have been worse. At least it's not an 85 or older Waggy. If it was it probably would have burnt down when the ammeter went full melt down!

You didn't loose a finger in a fan. No permanent damage. You came out of it pretty well.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Yeah, thanks guys. It was stupid, I know that. But I've just put it down as a firm reminder to pay attention and not be complacent.
I mostly took today off from working on it to get some breathing room. All I did was shoot some self etching primer and bedliner on the gas tank skid in preparation for changing it this weekend. This is supposed to be the "fun" weekend. Walter will finally grow into a big boy. My buddy is coming down again Saturday and we will do the lift. I'll probably start Friday by doing the tires and getting the tank removed. Any extra time I have Friday I'll use to repair the wiring and swap the alternator. One thing I'm not sure about are the melted fusible links. How do I determine what amperage they are supposed to be? They did their job, even with all that voltage creating a short to power. They left a lil char mark on the inner gender but nothing horrible.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Nikkormat wrote:Yeah it could have been worse. At least it's not an 85 or older Waggy. If it was it probably would have burnt down when the ammeter went full melt down!

You didn't loose a finger in a fan. No permanent damage. You came out of it pretty well.

Dont even mention fan and fingers to me... I once hit the tip of my left pointing finger on the 4.0s fan blade and it went DINGGG when it happend.. oddly it only cut me a little but not that bad.. but the bone... its been over a year now and the bone to this day still hurts if i put pressure on the tip

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Today went a lot faster than I thought it would. I'm covered in fuel so I'll make it short.
Got the gas tank out which took longer than I thought it would. Used my lil fuel pump to drain most the gas out:
ImageImage
Still managed to spill about half a gallon on myself while trying to shake out the tank into the recycle tank.
The sending unit was pretty tired looking but I've seen worse. At least the sock was still there.
I'm kicking myself for not ordering two roll over valves now as both the original ones grommets are shot. Someone actually used rtv to try and fix them. I'll use the new one and try and make a new grommet for one of the originals. No choice so hopefully I can cut rubber from the close but not exact store grommets. We'll see.
Tank didn't look that bad inside but I hit the whole thing with the steam cleaner/pressure washer. Then dumped some more gas water all over myself. Gonna hit the shower and get some rest. Tomorrow is gonna be busy.Image

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea you are lucky you have access to those tools. Ima have to do mine this year to repair the frame, thankfully my skid plate is mint but the frame is horrible in a 6 inch long section... not going to be fun ! I just spent $840 today on new front and rear leaf springs, on top of the 160 for the coil over shocks i got like a week ago. So 1,000$ on my dead suspension... Hopefully it wont take too long to deliver them.

If you ever want to know where to get the original springs and not those 5 leaf crown springs let me know. It took me a week of digging but i found only two websites that sell OEM stock leaf springs