The Blue Jeep – ’63 Gladiator started life as a Wagoneer

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: The Blue Jeep – ’63 Gladiator started life as a Wagoneer

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

^^again... acetone mixed with ATF. Maybe a little heat via a heat gun as well.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

Scored a replacement dash unit, good news.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:^^again... acetone mixed with ATF. Maybe a little heat via a heat gun as well.

Acetone is an interesting twist, that would help. My understanding is that both ATF and brake fluid are basically different grade oils with ether added to prevent damage to rubber parts. So all these formulas with kerosene and ATF and brake fluid are basically the same thing. But Acetone, now that's a different matter. Plus you wanna talk about a water displacer, from my days in chem lab I know that acetone is -the- way to get water out of a system.

OK, you got me convinced. And I believe I can pick up a can of Acetone at the paint supply. Thanks for the suggestion!

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

Found this really helpful diagram in the service manual. It -looks- like the pivot is a solid shaft the whole width - and it looks like if I can get the center hinge strap unhooked, I might be able to get the sides loose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

Big news coming, scored a deal on a bunch of parts, including another 230 in better shape than either of the ones I have. Should really help get this back together in close to stock form. If I can just get one of these 230s unstuck! But I figure, the more I have going, the better odds one of them will work out. More on this as I get the stuff home.

The donor vehicle is a 65 J-truck. It's a 230, and mostly identical except I do notice a few differences - the horns are smaller, the motor is red, etc. Are there known changes in a 65 compared to a 63?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

paulclark wrote:
Acetone is an interesting twist, that would help. My understanding is that both ATF and brake fluid are basically different grade oils with ether added to prevent damage to rubber parts.
Brake fluid is ethylene glycol or silicone if DOT 5.0, ATF is mineral or synthetic oil.

I doubt either have ether which boils under 100*F.

Not a good number for brake fluid and would cook out of a transmission pretty quick.

Edited to add quote.
Last edited by SJTD on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: RE: Re: The Blue Jeep – ’63 Gladiator started life as a Wagoneer

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

SJTD wrote:Brake fluid is ethylene glycol or silicone if DOT 5.0, ATF is mineral or synthetic oil.

Not a good number for brake fluid and would cook out of a transmission pretty quick.
I'm not sure what this ^means or what your saying?
I can attest to the ATF&Acetone being an outstanding penetrate. I don't think I'd use brake fluid as it seems to attack paint more whenever I spill some. Though who knows... maybe it's something to try? *shrugs*

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Loving the story on this truck! What part of Missouri you in? I'm down around Joplin. Wish I would have seen this sooner I just sent a 230 to its final resting place, nobody (I thought) wanted it...:'(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SJTD

Re: RE: Re: The Blue Jeep – ’63 Gladiator started life as a Wagoneer

Post by SJTD »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
SJTD wrote:Brake fluid is ethylene glycol or silicone if DOT 5.0, ATF is mineral or synthetic oil.

I'm not sure what this ^means or what your saying?
I can attest to the ATF&Acetone being an outstanding penetrate. I don't think I'd use brake fluid as it seems to attack paint more whenever I spill some. Though who knows... maybe it's something to try? *shrugs*

See da edit.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

SJTD wrote:
paulclark wrote:
Acetone is an interesting twist, that would help. My understanding is that both ATF and brake fluid are basically different grade oils with ether added to prevent damage to rubber parts.
Brake fluid is ethylene glycol or silicone if DOT 5.0, ATF is mineral or synthetic oil.

Edited to add quote.
Well that got me to wondering, so I looked it up. Turns out DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all glycol/ether. (DOT 5 is silicone and DOT 2 was castor oil with alcohol!) I guess when you dissolve ether in glycol it's more heat resistant.

ATF is likewise 95% oil with additives including anti-corrosion, anti-foaming, and viscocity modifiers. Back in the 50's- 70s Dexron used whale oil as a modifier! Dexron II was the substitute when whale oil became expensive or unavailable.
Last edited by paulclark on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

hutcho wrote:Loving the story on this truck! What part of Missouri you in? I'm down around Joplin. Wish I would have seen this sooner I just sent a 230 to its final resting place, nobody (I thought) wanted it...:'(
Used to live in Columbia, but that was years ago. Seattle area now. But you know how treacherous Missouri glare ice can be!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

So now I'm wondering. Where did you find that they are a mixture of glycol and ether?
Sic friatur crustulum

mud89

Post by mud89 »

paulclark wrote:Big news coming, scored a deal on a bunch of parts, including another 230 in better shape than either of the ones I have. Should really help get this back together in close to stock form. If I can just get one of these 230s unstuck! But I figure, the more I have going, the better odds one of them will work out. More on this as I get the stuff home.

The donor vehicle is a 65 J-truck. It's a 230, and mostly identical except I do notice a few differences - the horns are smaller, the motor is red, etc. Are there known changes in a 65 compared to a 63?
Do you have a VIN for the 65 ?
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

SJTD wrote:So now I'm wondering. Where did you find that they are a mixture of glycol and ether?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid#Boiling_point

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

mud89 wrote:Do you have a VIN for the 65 ?
Will soon as the parts get home.
Last edited by paulclark on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Glycol-ether as in a chemical compound, not a mixture of the two. Click on the glycol-ether in the first paragraph.

This discussion make me wonder again why the ell they decided to use 5.1 for the newest rating and not 6??? Especially when it's a totally different chemistry than 5. But fully compatible with 3 and 4.

4.1 Would've made more sense.
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

OK, parts run successful! I found someone locally who was parting out a 65 J200, and got a bunch of stuff that will help my project (plus a few extras)

First, another 230. it's stuck, but only because it's been sitting for 30 years, which makes it a better candidate than either of the two other motors I have here. The red-orange paint is interesting, did they switch from gold in 65 or is this a repaint?

Front clip with stuff attached. OH THAT WASHER FLUID BAG!!!

Last edited by paulclark on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

Pair of much needed doors with glass, and a hood. The extra sheet metal will go on the shop wall as insurance I hope to not need.

Here's the number plate of the donor vehicle. I wish I could save them all, but this one is getting used as much as possible.

I saved the best for last though - I GOT LUCKY!!! Yes, that is a solid J-truck gas tank, which I needed badly!

Not shown in these pics is a solid bench seat, which I also needed. Really glad to also find these heavy items close to home! Will post more pics as I get stuff cleaned up and together.

Topic author
paulclark

Post by paulclark »

Donor vehicle VIN:
2406F 14243

mud89

Post by mud89 »

paulclark wrote:
Donor vehicle VIN:
2406F 14243
Thanks a lot, i thought it was maybe one of the rare late '65 with a Tornado, but it's actually a very early '65 built in august 1964. AFAIK no changes for an early '65, changes are later at the beginning of 1965 and concern the carbs. You should have more infos with the engine number near the right front corner of the block, example : ND60C-1000. For the engine block paint, i know a yellowish paint, not this red, other Tornado rigs owners may help.
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle