Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Re: Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Post by Nikkormat »

Last night's fun...

Run down the hill after work to grab some stuff for my mom and get all of my brake parts.

Work on fixing problems at home after the previous day's lightning strike took out almost all of our digital electronics. Got the GFCI outlets replaced but the WiFi is still a no go as we aren't getting any signal from Comcast. Hopefully that will be fixed today...

Get my tools and parts loaded up a little after midnight and roll over to the shop. Had to finish someone else's work again to have room to work but at least it was only a blower motor. Started my brakes around one.

Get Everything stripped down, stuck nut on the brake line for the passenger side. Spend a long time finding the heating head for the torch but finally give up and very carefully heat it with the cutting torch. No damage was dealt and after cooling the nut came right out. New hardware, shoes, cylinders, and drums installed on both sides by 3:30 AM.

Bleeding the system by myself was terrible. My slick one man bleeder had rotted apart while stores so I repaired it using some random vacuum line. Did not work as well! Got them mostly bled at the cylinders and used the syringe bleeder from the master. They were good enough by about 4:30 AM.

Cleaned up the shop and made some minor carb adjustments. Got home a little after five. Filled the tank for the first time in a year on the way.

In bed by six, got two hours of sleep and drive to work. Victory! Image
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Dude... Thars AWESOME!!! You're a machine! I remember being young and full of energy.
If you have an old rubber brake line you can fix your bleeder with that. Vac line will collapse while brake line won't. That cherk is sexy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az chip

Post by az chip »

Yeah, Being young and full of energy usually got me in trouble. Gabe just works his butt off. Great job!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

Nice work Gabe. I did a marathon build on the Cherokee back in June of 2009. It felt so good to get it on the road.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Nikkormat wrote:
Lumpskie wrote:I just read the last 5 pages of this thread... it's inspiring! Keep up the good work, Gabe!
Thanks! Man, I thought you guys would think I'm nuts. Glad to hear some people like reading it.
Don't get me wrong... I DO think you're nuts. :P But inspiring at the same time.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Simba

Post by Simba »

Great job Gabe! Nice looking Cherokee!
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Having some issues with the Street Demon carb. It uses an air valve type secondary and it is sticking closed. When it does that I get a VERY rich condition rich enough to stall the Jeep at 3000 rpm. Need to pull it apart and sand the edges down smooth that should take care of it.

Having a hunting for gear problem, which I think is related to the secondary problem. It should be easy to tune out though just need to add a couple second vacuum delay to the line to smooth it out. Or get an adjustable kickdown diaphram. But that would require draining the transmission and replacing the fluid... So maybe next year.

Picked up some friction modifier for the transfer case.

Other than that she runs great! 150 miles in now.

Simba

Post by Simba »

Glad its coming together for you. Your probably off to school now, best of luck to ya!
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

tedlovesjeeps71

Simba wrote:Glad its coming together for you. Your probably off to school now, best of luck to ya!
No good bye?? Image

Lol

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm not gone yet!

Took care of the secondary problem, going to do a little more tuning before I leave but so far it's running pretty decent.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The plan was to leave this morning, but that didn't happen. Got done packing and cleaning at 4 pm. :oops:

Shooting for midnight now to be in SLC for breakfast.

Current state of my Jeep: Image

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

good luck buddy!

tedlovesjeeps71

Safe travels man!!!

az chip

Post by az chip »

What are you studying? 4 wheeling? You are close to a masters in that.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Made it to the first stop, unfortunately that is the salt lake valley. :( Image

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Safe travels and happy vistas Gabe. :fsj:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

az chip wrote:What are you studying? 4 wheeling? You are close to a masters in that.
Wildlife Biology for now.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

fulsizjeep wrote:Safe travels and happy vistas Gabe. :fsj:
Thanks Flint!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Some minor vapor problems here in the big hot bowl. Carb is sitting right around 120° 8-) but the fuel filter is filling with vapor which gives it a stutter pulling away from lights. I've got the return line from the fuel injection still in place and this pump has plenty of flow so I'm going to swap the 3/8 outlet fitting for the 5/16 I bought for the waggy and run a later wagoneer style return fuel filter. The only hickup might be stretching the 1/4 hose onto the 5/16 return line but worst case scenario I'll have to get an adapter fitting.

Still absolutely thrilled with the performance of this setup!

az chip

Post by az chip »

Thought you had TBI?