Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Re: Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Post by Nikkormat »

Been a weird week. I've been driving a BEEP load. Lots to think about. Lots to celebrate. According to my bank statement I've filled up five times in the last three days. Saw my first grizzly! Almost hit it at 40 on a twisty dirt road down in a pretty residential area after a night of bashing through the woods. Totally took me off guard and reminded me to be carful out here. Thing was huge! I want to say Volkswagen size but I know that's an exaggeration. Tonight I finally had a campfire, that was long over due. The boot comes off tomorrow and then I've got an action packed weekend of work. Maybe back to the woods on Sunday.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

From Thursday night. Image

will e

Post by will e »

Nice pic Gabe. Very nice. I am glad you are getting your boot off and also happy you are getting some seat time. Keep it up! As you get older, seat time will become less available. ;)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I see sasquatch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simba

Post by Simba »

Good stuff Gabe. Well except for the ankle! Those boots are a pain! Looks you've been able to make the best of it.
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Simba wrote:Good stuff Gabe. Well except for the ankle! Those boots are a pain! Looks you've been able to make the best of it.
It was a pain! Happy to have it off.

az chip

Post by az chip »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:I see sasquatch... Image

Give him a slim jim.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Eventful weekend! Friday night drive to Spokane Washington just for fun, a friend and I had never been to Washington so when our plans to go to Glacier National Park fell through we went to WA. Got some cheap burgers at Dick's and kicked around town for a while. 214 miles each way and then the next morning drove up to the National Bison Range up north of town. 50 miles each way for that trip. Add 22 miles of random around the town driving and the Cherokee logged 550 miles. Trouble free. 8-) :fsj:

The trade deal for the 86 is on pending inspection of the 86. Going to roadkill my 90 up here and trade it off as a down payment. That should happen in January. Stay tuned for that misadventure.

Also, I forgot to take pictures. Sorry.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The trade is on, I haven't seen it yet but here are the pictures I have.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage

VERY sun faded, but very rust free. It's been sitting for 14 years but Justin said it started without much effort and it even has great oil pressure. The interior is filthy, but the leather is still save able. There is a little bit of a tear in the drivers side but other than that nothing too bad. Oh, and the best part is... Third row seat! 8-)

tedlovesjeeps71

Cool. Trading is awesome.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Status report, Tuesday November 21st

Currently riding shotgun in the Cherokee on a kamakazi run to Colorado to surprise my family by showing up for Thanksgiving. My friend Holly is taking a turn behind the wheel between Butte and Livingston. Expect the full version of the 86 wagoneer retrieval soon. For now I've got some scenery to watch.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Nikkormat wrote:Status report, Tuesday November 21st

Currently riding shotgun in the Cherokee on a kamakazi run to Colorado to surprise my family by showing up for Thanksgiving. My friend Holly is taking a turn behind the wheel between Butte and Livingston. Expect the full version of the 86 wagoneer retrieval soon. For now I've got some scenery to watch.
:-bd
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

tedlovesjeeps71

You never will gather any dust... Always on the move!

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

sweet man! good luck!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Alright here are some crappy pictures of the new Jeep.

Image Image Image Image Image

Here is the list (so far) of what needs to be done before December 20th so I can register and drive this thing. Which is mandatory because the Cherokee is back in Colorado and I'm bringing the 90 up to Justin after break. :shock:

Wiper Motor
Fuel system Audit
Water Pump
Belts
Heater Hoses
Front Diff Service
Rear Diff Service and Pinion Seal
Replace Carburetor
Vacuum Line Overhaul
Blower Motor Wiring
Transmission Filter, Fluid, Band Adjustment, Shift Shaft Seals
Transfer Case Service and Rear Output Seal
Clean Foot Vents
Clean and Paint Floor
Rear Brakes and Repack Wheel Bearings
Master Cylinder
Headlights
Fix Turn Signals
Get Spare Tire
Get Tires
Front End Alignment
Detail The Nasty Interior
Parking Brake Cables
Finish Dewooding
Back Window Maintenance

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

your the millennial generation of Roadkill!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yay the HVAC controls are fixed! Mixed and matched parts to make one good heater control doohickey and then cleaned and lubed it. Now if I can find a blower wheel I'll be in business! Tonight it will be time for water pump and alternator repairs.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Who owns the spare parts suppliers on either side of your Jeep? :)

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

az chip wrote:Who owns the spare parts suppliers on either side of your Jeep? :)
Hey now one of those is my Cherokee!

The white 84 is a rusty parts donor Justin picked up for $150. It's got a straight six and RUST. But a few good parts to be had yet...

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yay progress! The water pump is installed with no leaks and no broken bolts! Image
Both waggys had a bad alternator so I looked them apart and combined the best parts of both. Got lucky once again and it charges! Image
I fixed an ignition issue that was causing it to not fire while cranking, and then catch once I let off the key. The issue was an unhappy duraspark box. Now I have this shiny original one from the high mileage (274k) parts wagoneer. Image
And I was finally able to wash it! Here are some pictures for you:
Last night I pulled the cluster apart AGAIN to try and repair the loose pins that were preventing the gauges from working unless I wiggled the connectors around. The solution is to solder the pins to their respective traces. As you can see this repair had been completed previously on both PCB's I had to play with. I also elected to replace the PCB as min was very tarnished/corroded. ImageImageImageImage
The white paint on the cluster washed away when I was cleaning it. I decided to touch it up with a silver sharpie out of laziness. I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results! We'll see how well it lasts. Image
And hopefully the gauges actually work after I install them this time.