Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Re: Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Post by Nikkormat »

az chip wrote:Thought you had TBI?
Not any more, it still vapor locked so I took it off and boxed it up. Hopefully use it again on the waggy.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Sitting in Blackfoot Idaho for some lunch. The highway portion of the trip is complete!

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Nikkormat wrote:Sitting in Blackfoot Idaho for some lunch. The highway portion of the trip is complete!
Sweet. Time to find some potholes and see how your suspension holds up!! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I made it! But not without typical drama.

Left SLC at 6am. Hit traffic imediatly, it didn't really add anytime but it seems like everyone in SLC has some sort of Mad Max fantasy. I got run out of my lane three freaking times. Locked up the brakes twice. And was full throttle way more than one should have to be on a commute. Grrrrr. Got out of it by Willard and had smooth sailing on the liberty? parkway.

Rolled into Blackfoot Idaho no problem. Jeep was a little warm, and I had lost about 10psi of oil pressure. I marked that down as all the different addative packs in the different oils duking it out. Filled the tank as far as it would go but if would only take 16 after 180 miles and I've been doing about 9 on this trip running 70-80. Grabbed lunch at Taco Time (highly recommend btw) and then headed for Salmon by way of the two lane blacktop.

Again smooth sailing for the most part. She was running a bit warm and lean surging. Got within 20 miles of Salmon and ran out of gas! It's a 197 miles but come on! I've got a 22 gallon tank... Threw the Jerry can in (thank you Ted it saved my bacon!) And continued. 20 miles on 5 gallons. No big deal right?

Pulled into the city limits of Salmon and ran out of gas again. I was still a mile and a half from the gas station. Needless to say I was a little pissed off. Coasted into a sewing machine/vacuum repair shop that had lawnmowers out front figuring they must have gas.

The owner was a short but round little old German man. Heavy Bavarian accent. I asked if he had some gas I could buy or borrow and he launched into an incoherent rant about how the lawnmowers weren't his. And some "damn local farm ruffians" abandoned them a few nights ago. His shop closed at 2 and it was 1:45 so I chatted him up a little more and asked if I could leave the car there for a few hours. He said. Da, dat would be fine. And I started walking.

Gas station was, like I said, a mile and a half away. I started asking repair shops along the way and no one had gas. But every single one of them offered to give me a ride. Their shops were pretty busy so I said no thanks and kept walking. Wasn't to bad of a walk though, I could probably use the excerise. All said and done I was back with gas and hour and fifteen minutes later. Now the fun really begins!

Filled er up and got it started only to discover gas spraying all over the engine compartment! It seems the diaphram of the fuel pump ruptured after I ran it dry the second time. Many explitives were muttered. The oil was contaminated so this wasn't going to be a simple pump change. Went back to the first shop (which was right next door luckily) and asked how much for labor on an oil change. And could I have parts sent to their shop. Luckily for me the answer was $35 and yep! So.i called the carquest.

Of course they didn't have a pump for a 69 AMX 390. Nothing for a 74 IH pickup. No normal 70's FSJ pump. But we had success in finding a 85 waggy pump in stock. The presented a few problems. The Cherokee has a 3/8 fuel line. And the carb has a 3/8 fuel inlet. And I would need a fitting from the threaded outlet on the pump to the hose. He had a fitting, but the jeezless thing was $15!!! Begrudgingly I ordered the parts and oil+filter to their shop.

Getting the pump in was no big deal. Bolted right on. Cut a v into the fuel line and bent it into a little taper. Lubed it up with some power steering fluid (because it has such a convenient dipstick/applicator) and the 5/16 hose slipped right on. Woo! One hurdle down. Got the fitting in and ran the hose to the filter. Stretched the hose onto the 3/8 Barb no problem. Things were going pretty well at this point.

Cranked, and cranked, and cranked, and finally it fired up. Only 20 psi of oil pressure at idle (as compared to 40psi) but everything sounded fine. Checked under the hood and discovered the stupid fitting doing its Best garden sprinkler impression. Threw some pipe tape at it (making sure to have some laying in the seat of the fitting) but same deal. The shop let me borrow some pipe dope and that finally took car of it. It is now 4:30. :banghead:

Went over to wait for the oil change and noticed they close at five. Started asking questions and discovered that they lost a mechanic after saying they could get the change done. And were now unsure that they could. I talked them into letting me do it with there tools and I did. Without spilling so much as a drop! How often does that happen? Go to return the supplies and dude is gone. But the owner is working in his place now.

"Who the hell are you? Why do you have my tools? We don't loan BEEPING tools!" Much explaination later, we reached an accord and he called the missing shop hand (number two at this point) to chew him out and eventually I heard him get fired as well. Cleaned up, payed the lady at the front desk, and got the BEEP out of there! He was pissed!

Oil pressure was back! And fuel was flowing! Loaded up with gas and for some reason it drank 22 gallons. Keep in mind it had something like 4 gallons in it. Weird... But no leaks so I don't really care. I just wish it had decided to hold that much sooner so I could have avoided this whole mess. Now off to Missoula.

Climbing the pass it was getting hot. Not anywhere near overheating. Just up around 195. That wasn't a problem with the old pump. But with the new one as soon as the gauge would start moving up from 180 it would start lean surging. The carb is still cool. This pump just can't take the heat. At around 195 it dies and wouldn't restart. Let it cool for half an hour and went at it again. Made it within 8 miles of the summit. Let it cool again and went for a hike. That's when I had a realization. I was lean at 8k feet. And I'm at 5k now. D'oh! Thats not helping things. Threw in two sizes richer of rods and that made a big difference. Made it all the way to the top before i had to stop again. Rolled on down the other side no problems!

So I'm here now (or was at 9:45 rather). Some repairs need to be made but the Jeep and I are both in one piece. Ugh. What a day.
Last edited by Nikkormat on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Also, the oil leak mentioned in another thread has up and disappeared! Woo! I think the oil in the engine when I set off had lost viscosity and was just oozing out of all the little holes that would normally be minor leaks.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Holy crap!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Lost Trail Pass is a dandy no matter the time of year. You haven't lived until you roll in from the Salmon side with 6" of fresh snow at the bottom at 3AM in a 2WD pickup towing a trailer. That will get your heart pumping. Glad you made it to Missoula. It's totally different than what you are probably used to. Wait until winter to learn why it's called the Five Valleys of Smoke :) You drove past my old place at the 54 mile marker north of Victor. The Bitterroot Valley is a cool place despite all the outsiders coming in screwing it up.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Missoula. I've been there. Applied to grad school there and went to do my audition. Drove my 88' GW there and back.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

shoulda stuck with TBI man. you know it and most of us know it!! TBI lessens HWY/Wheeling drama.

good story tho.

stay safe buddy!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Blake wrote:shoulda stuck with TBI man. you know it and most of us know it!! TBI lessens HWY/Wheeling drama.

good story tho.

stay safe buddy!
You know I love the TBI, but it boils my gas. I'm going to run it again on the 90 with an in tank pump. :fsj:

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Lost Trail Pass is a dandy no matter the time of year. You haven't lived until you roll in from the Salmon side with 6" of fresh snow at the bottom at 3AM in a 2WD pickup towing a trailer. That will get your heart pumping. Glad you made it to Missoula. It's totally different than what you are probably used to. Wait until winter to learn why it's called the Five Valleys of Smoke :) You drove past my old place at the 54 mile marker north of Victor. The Bitterroot Valley is a cool place despite all the outsiders coming in screwing it up.
It's pretty smokey here now! I haven't seen the sun yet.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Nikkormat wrote:
Blake wrote:shoulda stuck with TBI man. you know it and most of us know it!! TBI lessens HWY/Wheeling drama.

good story tho.

stay safe buddy!
You know I love the TBI, but it boils my gas. I'm going to run it again on the 90 with an in tank pump. :fsj:
Ever since I put the pump in the tank on the Dually Vortect 8.1 it has not vapor locked or gave me any trouble at all. It does whine from time to time and I think that is because the old GM tanks have no baffles and I'm always on a hill so the pickup gets exposed when I'm below half a tank.

Now my TBI honcho has never once even thought about vapor locking. But as you have stated in the past, I have sort of a gravity feed system because the fuel cell is above the frame and my pump is below the fuel cell.

I've never on any vehicle had the fuel boiling issue that you do... :fsj:

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

https://youtu.be/wvA_Tcd6MQg

Found a TV add for the Cherokee when it launched in 74, thought a few of you might enjoy it.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Nikkormat wrote:https://youtu.be/wvA_Tcd6MQg

Found a TV add for the Cherokee when it launched in 74, thought a few of you might enjoy it.
The Willys MB is self driving!?!? ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

AMC marketing at its finest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywYjYcrzK_A

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I was going to go on a wheeling trip with a buddy from Evergreen who is over in Bozeman attending Montana State but the lake we were going to drive up to was set ablaze by some god damn arsonist. Grrrrr...

Instead I picked up a replacement AMX pump and I'm going to work on fixing the vapor lock once and for all. I've got a 5/16 fitting to go from the pump to the fuel filter, a later wagoneer style filter with the return line fitting, a 5/16 barb for the carb, fuel hose, and a 1/4-5/16 adapter in case I can't stretch the hose enough to slip the 1/4 onto the 5/16 nylon return line from the fuel injection. Think I'll finally swap the fan clutch too. That's only been on the to do list since before Ouray 2016.

After that I'm sure I'll find some wheeling to do.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I guess the homework of "go out and flip squirrels over and check their sex" has not hit yet.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

I've lost track gabe. What carb atr you running?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:I've lost track gabe. What carb atr you running?
I am not even sure he knows. I lost track two 401's and a Tbi ago.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

az chip wrote:I guess the homework of "go out and flip squirrels over and check their sex" has not hit yet.
Nope, we're at the "go to the University book store and buy these books at a crazy mark up" stage. $42 for a paperback that's $7.50 on Amazon? How about no.