Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Re: Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Post by Nikkormat »

Simba wrote:Hey Gabe! Im not much of a reader nor do i have as much time to spend on the forum as i would like. But, i just ran across this thread and couldn't put it down! Really stinks what happened! Sorry it didn't come together for you but in time i am sure it will. Once again you are inspiring! Glad you were able to get into school too! Hope we have a chance to see you again in Ouray.
Thanks! It was great getting to meet you in Ouray and I really hope we'll meet there again next year!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

It runs! Put in a Pertronix ignitor 2 just because I had it on hand for the Waggy. Don't think I won't have the points waiting in the glove box though!

I let it idle for an hour to process some of the old gas (which is trucker bomb yellow after sitting so long) and shake out the cobwebs. Somewhere along the line it developed a vacuum leak between the spacer and manifold. Nothing is warped, the gasket just won't compress enough to maintain the seal. I have been reusing the same gasket for about two years now so I suppose it's time for a new one. I think this will be a winning combo. Underhood temps were around 150° but the carb was sitting cooler than ambient temperature! The fuel hose from frame to pump felt fine, as did the line from pump to carb. Previously the Edelbrock carb would be very nearly as hot as the rest of the intake.

Now time for some wiring clean up, beefier fan clutch, harmonic balancer, larger diameter water pump pulley, and brakes. Oh and the minor details of the transmission and transfer case... 16 days till I leave and counting.

will e

Post by will e »

Sweet! Why a larger diameter water pump pully?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

will e wrote:Sweet! Why a larger diameter water pump pully?
The Heavy Duty Cooling package back in the day came with a larger diameter pulley for the water pump. At some point the larger pulley became standard, sometime around when they went to a three belt pulley.

My Jeep didn't come with heavy duty cooling and as a result the water pump pulley is an inch smaller in diameter than the crank pulley. I've got a larger pulley off of a J4000 we parted out so it's more of a "while I'm in there" type deal.

will e

Post by will e »

I did not know that. Wouldn't a larger pully cause the fan and water pump to rotate slower? I wonder what the thinking was.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

will e wrote:I did not know that. Wouldn't a larger pully cause the fan and water pump to rotate slower? I wonder what the thinking was.
You are correct. I had that backwards in my head. Smaller pulley must be for heavy duty cooling. The bigger one must be standard.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/CNmMz ... oAlkI=s412

Which does make me wonder, why would they make the pulley bigger later?

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Cherokee is at the shop and transmission removal starts now!

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

You doing an auto or manual??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Automatic, so of course two hours of my night were spent mopping up ATF.

Transmission is out. Everything is set to start building the transfer case. Hoping to get everything ready for install tomorrow but I can't work very late so it probably won't start going in.

Discovered that I don't have the bushing that goes in the end of the crank for the snout of the tourqe converter. That may explain some vibration! Need to figure out how to pull the one out of the other 401 to put in this one. And I need a new flex plate. The ring gear is getting really chewed up and it has eaten another starter.

But other than that all went smoothly. Took a long dang time and unfortunately spent half of the day finishing someone else's project. The shop "mechanic" (BEEPING hack who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a tool box or roll of duct tape and presumably the dirty SOB who's been sabotaging me) had started u joints on a plow truck yesterday and when I rolled in around two he had the shafts out and nothing else done. He was complaining he couldn't work because he couldn't find his favorite rachet. When asked when he could have it done he said around lunch time tomorrow. That statement reminded him how hungry he was so he toddled off to taco bell. I had the u joints done and the Jeep on the lift by the time he was back an hour and a half later. How this idiot is still employed I haven't a clue. But I hear they're getting real tired of his BEEP. So he'll be gone soon.

To give you an idea at the levels of butchery this jackwagon is capable of, I want you to imagine a trailer hitch. A nice sturdy trailer hitch.

NOW IMAGINE IT BEING MADE OF 3/4" GALVENIZED PIPE WELDED DIRECTLY TO THE UNIBODY. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

az chip

Post by az chip »

So now he is sabotaging himself?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

az chip wrote:So now he is sabotaging himself?
I guess you could say so.

tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:So now he is sabotaging himself?
Some folks just need a forced vacation. Self inflicted or otherwise.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I was a college student working on our school aircraft. One day they hired an "experienced" A&P. After two hours we all knew he was not. The clincher that sealed his fate was installing a propeller backwards. Sometimes moving on down the road is best for all involved.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

tedlovesjeeps71

Try going to an automotive school full of drunks, druggies, and morons. Kid I had assumed sabotaged my Jeep just ended his semester due to missed days. Another guy, a druggie, is almost there as well. One kid, a millennial, saw my XJ on the lift and asked "what's that?" As he points to the gas tank. Seriously? We are half way through school and he can't identify a gas tank!
Then there is the tool room. They hire a student @ minimum wage to work in there opposite his class schedule. One kid in my class is looking to be the new hire. Last night while we are doing literally nothing I suggest he go talk to the current tool student guy and learn the ropes, give him a leg up.
Nope. He won't pull himself away from his phone to go learn the difference between a socket and a sawzall.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Both Quadratracs are apart and inspected. I have enough parts to build one good differential! Woo-hoo! I'm off to a party for a few hours but will go back later to assemble the transfer case.

tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:Both Quadratracs are apart and inspected. I have enough parts to build one good differential! Woo-hoo! I'm off to a party for a few hours but will go back later to assemble the transfer case.
Tick-tock, tick-tock.... Image

az chip

Post by az chip »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:Both Quadratracs are apart and inspected. I have enough parts to build one good differential! Woo-hoo! I'm off to a party for a few hours but will go back later to assemble the transfer case.

Easy old guy. These young guys still get to party. :shock:

tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

Easy old guy. These young guys still get to party. :shock:
Hahaha!
My version of "partying" now days is a beer or two on st Patty's day. Image

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I don't know if party was a good choice of words, more like get together. We went to Casa Bonita, had some terrible food, and played some arcade games.

tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:I don't know if party was a good choice of words, more like get together. We went to Casa Bonita, had some terrible food, and played some arcade games.
So how much did ya get done after the "party"?? Image