Meet Road Trip

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

GaJeep94YJ

Re: Meet Road Trip

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

I thought that was the same one that had the door buzzer, or even the light buzzer would be nice....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

Actually found 3 different buzzers. I think they were seat belt, key in the column and lights left on, but I'm not really sure since neither was running when I got them.
Robert

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

OK, it came down to me "manning up" and drilling holes in the roof of RT. So here we go.
First I test fit the roof rack by placing it on masking tape on the roof. I measured and checked it for square on the ground, then placed the tape on the roof and then set the rack on the tape. If you look close you can see a little blue under the feet.

Then, I marked the holes on the masking tape
and well, I drilled holes in that perfectly good roof!
These holes were just big enough for the bolt to go through. I thought that would make it easier to seal it up.

I used Tad's roof rack system and bolted the luggage rack from above to the steel plate with nuts.

Then I used the self tapping metal screws to screw the plate to the edge of the roof above where the headliner will eventually go. I will remove the bolts one at a time, squirt silicone in the hole and tighten them down and then check for leaks. Should be pretty tight.

Roof rack mounted and looking good. I did use bolts for the runners that go with the roof rack instead of screws. That way I could use window sealer on the shank of the bolt, tighten it down and that would make sure I had those holes sealed as well. I don't want leaks.

With some help from Laura we got the side windows installed. I used Cat3 telephone wire with a little soap. It was really slick and worked well.

I need to get the radio and speakers installed and the VintageAir unit and I think the electrical work will be done. I'll order the VA stuff next Friday. I'll start looking at a recommended radio and speakers this next week.
Robert

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

While I was drilling holes, I drilled and used a square file to make a square hole so the satellite antenna would mount properly. Take a look at the antenna.
Now if I just had a radio.
Robert

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

So here is a short update on Road Trip.

I got the stereo and speakers from Crutchfield.

I'm going with 6.5" speakers in the stock door location. That required a little cutting of the stock brackets, but they work fine. There is a hole for the crank window in the metal inner door skin, so I'll putt he 2" tweeters over that so they can sit as flush as possible with the door panel. I'll post pics as soon as PB uploads them.

That brings me to the back, where I'm going with 6x9's and wanted to put them in the stock location.

So I am putting this in that!

So that requires fabbing a bracket. Luckily I had 2 sets of the rear brackets to cut and splice.

This was the 1st attempt.

With the speaker in it, it didn't seem secure enough to me. Sooo...

And...

This allowed all 4 screws in the speaker to mount into steel, and then the bracket itself has 4 mounting points in back.

A quick coat of paint,

And mounted in place,

And I think they will work. BTW, this was an all day job, because of the trial and error style of work I do.

This pic shows the VA under dash vent location and the stereo slot with the VA dash vent locations either side of the stereo.

Then I had to start on the brackets to hold the VA condenser to the Jeep. Here is what I started with,

Now it is starting to take shape.

Drill a few more holes, make a small piece that is adjustable so that it will mate up to the bottom holes, paint, and I'll finish up the post when PB uploads the other pictures. Ok, here is a test fit.

Here is the condenser in place, fills the hole really tight! I had to remake one of the swing arms as it was too short. The paint is drying on it and tomorrow I'll mount the condenser up. Of course it will have to come back out to hook up the AC lines, but that is the way it goes.

Now what I don't have a pic of is when I plugged the new deck into its little plug and paired it with my phone and called Laura, and when she came out to the shop, I was playing a CD for her, then switched to Pandora. Those speakers have really good sound. Now to find that little rattle when the bass is booming!
Robert

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

I made progress that shows today. At the end of the day, the wiring doesn't show well. This stuff does.

I started by finishing up the FatMat. I'll need more to do the doors and the space behind the doors to the wheel well. Anybody got any left over?

First, I did the top. Worked well. The ribs had been put back with some "tar" like stuff, so they didn't come down.

Then I did the floor in back.

Then, I insulated it with EZ Cool Automotive Insulation on the top and the floor. I'll do the rest just before I get the carpet in.

Then I installed the stereo, the glove box door and the vents to see the complete dash. Here it is,

No, there is no glove box back there until the ducts have all been run. That's to be done soon.

Then I put the steering wheel on the column so I could see what the dash would look like.

That was my day.
Robert

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Looking awesome!!!
If the area you need to finish insulating is behind a panel etc, why not just use some of the stuff from Home Depot/ Lowes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaJeep94YJ

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

I might have missed it but are you using vintage air? Where'd you get those vents from? They seem to fit perfectly

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

I am using Vintage Air. I had to make some rings to put over the dash where the clock and the ashtray went. They are sized for the vent to fit in the ring. Not going to have much of a glove box! I got to looking at the ducts and where the VA unit outputs are, very tight.
Robert

memo43

Post by memo43 »

Awesome build,
Where did you find the weatherstripping for the side windows
US Marine
79 Jeep Cherokee
360/TH400/Full time TC
Dolphin gauges
GM style HEI
Power windows
Serehill tailgate and headlight harness

"My jeep has no manners it
marks every parking spot"

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

I got the weatherstripping from Team Grand Wagoneer.
Robert

GaJeep94YJ

Re: RE: Re: Meet Road Trip

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

Road Trip wrote:I am using Vintage Air. I had to make some rings to put over the dash where the clock and the ashtray went. They are sized for the vent to fit in the ring. Not going to have much of a glove box! I got to looking at the ducts and where the VA unit outputs are, very tight.
Gotcha. Is it the one with heat and cool? If not why did you use that over factory?

I may steal your idea and run vents there

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

I'm using the Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum. It has the heat and cool in one unit, like a modern car. Look it up, it's a good unit.
Robert

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

GaJeep94YJ wrote:
Road Trip wrote:I am using Vintage Air. I had to make some rings to put over the dash where the clock and the ashtray went. They are sized for the vent to fit in the ring. Not going to have much of a glove box! I got to looking at the ducts and where the VA unit outputs are, very tight.
Gotcha. Is it the one with heat and cool? If not why did you use that over factory?

I may steal your idea and run vents there

Road Trip wrote:I'm using the Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum. It has the heat and cool in one unit, like a modern car. Look it up, it's a good unit.

This is the same reason I custom fitted a GM unit. Everything is in one package, and you get dehumidified defroster/defogger to boot.

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

Ok, I cheated. I needed to buy a windshield for RT. So I happened on to a Safelite Auto Glass guy who was blocking me in a parking space. So I talked to him and he said they would come to RT, bringing a new windshield and gasket with them, and that I should go on line and schedule a trip.

So I went on line and sure enough they would come out and install a brand new windshield, AND the stainless trim for $278.22! Sign me up!

After about 30 minutes the windshield was installed and looked good. Then the trim. 30 more minutes, then an hour, two and on half hours later the trim was on. That is 3 hours with pros doing the complete install for $278.22!

You guys who replaced that trim on your own have my respect. There were 2 professionals who worked for 2.5 hours getting it installed. It was worth the bucks to me for me not to have lost my mind doing what they did.

I have the BJ's 3" exhaust with the Magnaflow muffler going on as soon as I can get RT to the shop. Then we'll fire it up! May take a week or two, but it is getting close!!!
Robert

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

Ok, got the overflow tank installed. If you look closely between the washer bottle at the right and the alternator on the left, you can make out the 24 oz stainless overflow tank. Opened up some room over here and I hope to put the air intake in that open space.

Thought I'd post a pic from the other side. Also have the new Red Top battery temporarily sitting on my old battery tray until I work out that. However, you can see the leads that I hooked up to the battery to try stuff out under it's power.

RT is all dried in, and next Friday it's off to the fab shop for the Y pipe. Then start up.
Robert

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

Well, it finally happened...

RT has left the building!

Loaded up and ready for the trip

And sitting in the lift position at the shop

The shop owner said they hope to get to it by Wednesday. Given it isn't running and is sitting in the only "inside" lift at the shop, I hope they will get to it a little faster.

At any rate, it's there and the car guys at the shop gave RT a few compliments.
Robert

ToolShed

Post by ToolShed »

Awesome!! Absolutely love this build and have gone through it several times now
Jim

78 Cherokee Chief W/T 360 4V TH400 D20

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

Thank you ToolShed. It has been fun for me I've learned a lot and met some really nice, helpful people along the way.
Robert

Topic author
Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

I know it's not year correct, but I'm going with a razor grill, because I like it. Now I'm wondering if I need to add the black accents back.

Robert