Brutus 2.0

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Re: Brutus 2.0

Post by BRUTUS »

shimniok wrote:Since they didn't teach us comp E's how to calculate clamping force and since I am way to lazy to try and figure it out I will just say, over think it until you're sure then git-r-done! I'm sure your solution willbe rock solid!
Agreed.

Since everyone wants to know... check out this website http://www.engineersedge.com/calculator ... e_calc.htm
Input torque is 400ft-lb * 12 in/ft = 4800 in-lb, thread major diameter is around 1.25" and .20 is friction factor for unlubricated threads. Result is 19,200 lb of clamping force. :P
Nikkormat wrote:Maybe you could design a spacer with a set screw instead of relying on the transfer case?
The problem is that you can't tighten the set screw once it is in place because there is a huge schroud over the tail shaft. There are "solutions" on the market that have two set screws and the reviews are terrible. The tailshaft is not made for a set screw either so it is basically the same problem that the spanner nut has just "moved" further down the shaft! Vibration loosens the set screw and you are back to square 1.
'74 J30 with some upgrades

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

No input for thread pitch on that calculator? I thought it made a difference; fine thread = more squeeze.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

SJTD wrote:No input for thread pitch on that calculator? I thought it made a difference; fine thread = more squeeze.
I read some more about it and the thread pitch does not add or subtract from clamping force. Only adds strength to use fine bolts but the thread pitch gives a "wedge" mechanical advantage whether the threads are fine or course.

Made a couple forward steps today after taking 10 backward!

Lathed and machined a spanner wrench and welded it to a 2' handle:

Removed the transmission to Install the clutch so that the tailshaft would be stationary enough to hold ~400 ft-lb of torque:

Re-attached the transmission and torqued the spanner nut to somewhere around 400 ft-lb. I cut a custom gasket out of cork for the tailhousing seal:

Finally, I re-attached the tailhousing and took some measurements for X and Y above... X = 2.648" and Y = 1.978" so X-Y = 0.670"
Last edited by BRUTUS on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

You do nice work. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:You do nice work. Can't wait to see how this turns out! Image
Thanks. Here is where I got yesterday...

Had a couple setbacks and was getting tired so I quit before I really messed things up. Thickness is .700" right now so I have some cleanup to do on the parted end.
Last edited by BRUTUS on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

WOW... has it already been a year since I last updated? The time sure flys!

Where to start?
I see that Photobucket went corporate and stopped hosting for free... I am in the process of updating all the broken links by hosting them on my personal website.
I hammered the donut on the output shaft of the 4500 and installed the 203 and 205.
I bought a '79 Jtruck frame from Kenneth in Parker and drove it home to my garage hanging out of the back of my longbed Dodge so I can mock everything up in my garage. Bad news is that I am not going to actually USE this frame for Brutus 2.0 as the steering box mount is quite different and the forward cab mounts are 3" too far forward for the M715 cab.
I pulled the motor off the engine stands, installed the fabricated motor mounts and set them in the frame only to find out that I need to remake the mounts with more offset. I made some UHMW spacers for the time being to hold everything in place.
I clocked the 205 down one notch because I could still keep it just inside the frame (bottom of 205 and bottom of 203 are very close to the same elevation and level with the bottom of frame.)
I maneuvered the cab onto the frame to make sure that everything powertrain cleared everything cab and it fits like it was made to be there. I have enough room that I can run my hand across the top of the 205 with room to spare.
I have the air cylinders mounted to both the 203 and 205. I machined an extended clevis on the 203 shifter so my hard mount would look normal. I finished the hard mount off the 4500 a couple days ago and am really happy with how it turned out.
I had a line on some long tube headers from a friend but that deal fell through. I got some exhaust tube stubs from another friend that didn't even need them (only needed the cat's) for free.
I got a stock transmission mount from Autozone last weekend and bolted it to the 4500. I am in the process of laying out the tranny crossmember to connect to the tranny mount.
I haven't been able to find a fuel tank that I like yet but am looking at the early 2000 Chevy 2500 tanks and think they might work.
I need to get the fuel tank before I begin making the structure to hold it and the air tanks (on the other side of the driveshaft from the fuel tank)
I am also looking for the forearm rifle holder for the M715 cab.
I am in a holding pattern right now because I blew up the transfer case on my Dodge a few weeks ago and that put a hamper on a bunch of plans until it is fixed.

bigun

Post by bigun »

LOL Almost one year from the last post! Looks like your project is right on time

will e

Post by will e »

Are you bringing it to Ouray? !!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

bigun wrote:LOL Almost one year from the last post! Looks like your project is right on time
I aim to please!
will e wrote:Are you bringing it to Ouray? !!
Someday it will come to Ouray. For the time being with two kids in diapers we will probably only make a brief one or two day appearance in Ouray with the Dodge or the Suburban. Cherokee Jim is bringing me some parts for my Dodge that I need to pick up in Ouray and we wanted to see everyone, even if only briefly.

will e

Post by will e »

BRUTUS wrote:
will e wrote:Are you bringing it to Ouray? !!
Someday it will come to Ouray. For the time being with two kids in diapers we will probably only make a brief one or two day appearance in Ouray with the Dodge or the Suburban. Cherokee Jim is bringing me some parts for my Dodge that I need to pick up in Ouray and we wanted to see everyone, even if only briefly.
I'll make you some cheese crisps!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Now that I have all the broken picture links repaired... Time for some new progress pictures!

Set the cab over the powertrain to make sure I had sufficient clearance to the cab.

With all that clearance I was able to finish the 205 shifter rails hard mount off the transmission.

I am loving the M715 cab more and more with these little features that it has... I am going to machine new hooks for the windshield latches that will allow me to have the windshield pitched forward (top of windshield over the cowl).
I am also going to purchase the upper forearm rifle mount for the cab to stow a rifle (without the bayonette) like so:
I am also thinking that the passenger seat will need a rifle holder too.

I am getting more and more excited now that it is starting to look like a real truck.
Current active projects: remake the motor mounts with an offset, find a decent size fuel tank that will fit in the stock location, mount/plumb the air tanks, build the tranny crossmember, and building the exhaust.

bigun

Post by bigun »

You're using air shifters on the transfercases?

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

bigun wrote:You're using air shifters on the transfercases?
Yup... pretty cool huh!?!?

bigun

Post by bigun »

Very cool!