Meet Flip, 1974 Wagoneer Custom

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Meet Flip, 1974 Wagoneer Custom

Post by rocklaurence »

Dont do it! If you pull the drive train and start cleaning things, it will turn into a 2 year project. Get it running, start driving and enjoying it. Gradually fix the things that need it. That's MHO

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

That is good advice.
If I was keeping it for myself it would be stripped to bare metal, and built back from the ground up like I've done on previous builds. But this is a flip with profits going to a charity. So, it has to be desirable, but cost effective.
Since it's getting body/paint and interior work done, the underneath really needs some attention.
Not sure how I'll do it yet. Original completion goal was October, but work has gotten super busy, so I don't have evenings free anymore. May sub out some of the work.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

man, sure sounds like its running pretty smooth and is responsive!

Enjoying the progress thus far.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Hey Scott, any updates?
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:Hey Scott, any updates?
Yep! :)

So I just got back from a week on the road for work.
Waiting at home were two boxes of important stuff, all donated by CheapJeepBrad. :-bd

Engine bay harness
Air Injection tubes w/check valves
Diverter valve for this Jeep, and a later version
Air Injection hoses
Two air pumps with bracketry.

This along with what is left on the Jeep, should allow me to get it back to factory specs for emissions compliance. At the end of the build, I'll have it tested /adjusted.
What this means is the Jeep can be sold in any state, or even out of country now.

So a HUGE shout out to Brad for this donation. I'll clean up the stuff not used, and eBay it. The money from that will go back into the build.
Thanks again Brad, this is really an awesome thing to do. :-bd

As to "real work", I've pulled the front calipers, and returned them for the core charge. Pulled off the tail gate inspection plate to check on the window motor. That will take some work/cleaning to get functioning again. So that will all happen after the replacement tail gate is welded up and painted
Between work, and the heat, that's all I've managed to do.
Need brakes and fuel system done, and it will be a "driver". Then I can figure out what all will need attention, and start the disassembly process.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I can't get over that clean carb picture. Man that thing looks good.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

DustinLangston wrote:I can't get over that clean carb picture. Man that thing looks good.
Thanks Dustin. :-bd

This is the overall goal for the vehicle. Honest clean, but not over the top.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Kudos to CJBrad for helping a brother out and for Flip for keeping the faith!
You guys are what FSJ peeps are all about.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Awesome! Its always fun when parts show up, new or old!

Did you ever get the filler neck sorted out? I still have the one if you want/need it.

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

Haven't got that far yet. Hoping to get the brakes & front wheel bearing work done this weekend. Then I'll drop the tank, and figure out what all will be needed.
Will keep you posted, as I may just need that filler neck stuff you have. :)

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

Well, almost a year later, and nothing further has been done. Then family emergencies/priorities came up, so, I've shipped all the parts CJB donated back to him, and gave the Waggy back to Dr. Marneaus.
I'm sure he can make something good happen!
Best wishes to Flip.