Meet Flip, 1974 Wagoneer Custom

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Flip

Meet Flip, 1974 Wagoneer Custom

Post by Flip »

Hey guys & gals,

Meet "Flip". 1974 Wagoneer Custom, one owner from Nevada. Sat outdoors for about 15 years. So would we call this a "Desert find"? :P

More on how I got it here:
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=10452

So the goal is to bring it up to #3 driver (https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationt ... ?id=154345), and flip it. With the profits going to Fisher House (https://www.fisherhouse.org/).
Due to work demands all I've done is bring it home, and replaced the broken rear left tail light lens. Work will start in July, with a completion goal of October.
Currently, I'm "about" $3,500 invested with vehicle trade, shipping, tail light. Goal is to keep expenses to around $7K.
Need to do:
Evaluation on drive train (keeping my fingers crossed here)
Repair fuel leak at tank
Fix the electrical eaten by the mice (looks pretty minor)
Brakes
Tuneup
Belts and every hose on the vehicle
Wiper blades
Anti freeze
Oil-Filter and ZDDP
Transmission flush
Tires
Hoping that takes care of the mechanicals
Then cut out the minor body rot, and replace with new metal
Body work & paint
Interior work.

That's a lot to do with about $3,500 in the budget.
Hoping to use a consignor when finished, and let the buyer write two checks (one to the consignor, and one to the charity so they get the tax write off too. Might help them kick in a bit extra. :)
Never done a charity vehicle before, so this is new ground.

As this goes along, I would sincerely appreciate your input / insights. While I've done quite a few vehicles over the years, and been part of other projects, this is the first Jeep I've done. It needs to be quality work, without breaking the bank. Your experience will be a huge help to get there. :-bd

Scott

Topic author
Flip

Looking for parts

Post by Flip »

A couple of questions:

1). The stock transmission cooler hoses have fittings at each end (attaching them to the steel cooler lines, and the cooler in the radiator. Is there somewhere these hoses are still available?

2). If you were shopping for Brake parts where would you go? I checked Rock auto, and for the entire brake system (sans the steel lines, and vacuum booster), it's about $350. Looking for quality parts, at a better price if possible.
TIA,

Dr. Marneaus

Re: Meet Flip, 1974 Wagoneer Custom

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Glad to see the build thread! I know you'll do right by it and it its fantastic that you're donating the profits! Looking forward to the build.

I was unable to find those replacement hoses. I'd imagine a hydraulic hose place could make them for you, but I didn't search that hard. I found some barb fittings made for something like this at a generic parts store, to use for the radiator side, but on the metal line side I was stuck using just hose clamps slipped over the line because the PO cut the hard lines for an auxiliary trans cooler install.

the brake parts should be pretty standard. I just get mine at Napa or rock auto, I'm not aware of any particularly cheap sources. I believe there are some upgrades you can do for calipers with larger pistons or perhaps dual pistons that will bolt right in, from some other OEM application.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

Thanks amigo.

I have access to some pretty good hydraulic shops, so can figure something out that will maintain an OEM-ish design. :)
Nice thing about a #3 driver, is there is wiggle room in this regard.

The donation part is the motivator to quickly get it done. This is the second to last build (have one major project to finish after this). Then it's time to hang up the tools, and go play.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Good cause to work for!
If the transfer case is shot, I have a new spare if you need it.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Cool!

Let us know in the coming weeks what you might need?
I know if I have anything spare around here that you need it will be donated to you.
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I'm glad you got the Wagoneer and will treat her right.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

Hey thanks guys.
Sincerely appreciated. 8-)

I'm going to have a lot of questions, and really appreciate all your input. :-bd

The next two weeks are tied up helping friends move to Idaho. So will start in earnest the first weekend of July.
What better fun than getting an all American Jeep running on Independence day. :)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Dad and I are heading up to Montana tomorrow. I'll wave as we drive past.

Topic author
Flip

Engine compartment

Post by Flip »

Got back from Idaho a day early and had a bit of time this morning to de-mouse the engine compartment, and get a better look at things.
Overall, it doesn't look bad. Haven't tried to turn the engine over yet. Will get to that next weekend.

Original owner added some stuff that will need to be removed, and cleaned up, Like the Super Coil, added resistor and some minor extraneous wiring.
Looks like pretty much all the emissions related stuff has been hacked, so that will need to be re-done. The air pump is still there but is froze up. I'm thinking it can be disassembled, cleaned and re-used. Need to get a set of air tubes, AB valves and all the hoses.

The wire damage from the mice is pretty limited, and easy to repair. Since the factory used split loom, that will make things easier.

Next step is to get the engine turning over. Will pull the plugs and spray the cylinders down with penetrating oil this week.
With a bit of luck, I'll have it running on a Jerry can next weekend.

Left side of engine compartment

Right side with most of the wiring damage. I need to find an original battery hold down assembly (probably from Montana Overland)

Vacuum valve. Going to need to find a vacuum hose diagram to try and get it back as close to original as possible

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

One item of note:
In the bottom photo you can see the fuel return line on the filter is upside down.
Obviously it should be replaced but make sure the return port is on top (12:00 position).

Also, you can get replacement A.I.R tubes from several places. Most are not exact reproductions but with a working AIR pump they will help a great deal with emissions.
http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/air-in ... 1974-1991/

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

Great info! Thank you very much.
I'll make sure to correctly orient the new filter when installing.

The Diverter Valve may be a bit of an issue, as I can't find a replacement for it, or the OEM molded hoses. since the valve is held in place by the molded hoses, I can't just use stock hose. Maybe another call to George at Montana Overland.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I wanna see that engine run!

the wiring really didnt look too bad so i'm hopeful that you can get that cleaned up in short order.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I purchased a Tonka Wagoneer on ebay the other week and this weekend I will tear into it to do a full resto in honor of this one. I intend to paint it up and trim it out to give to the previous owners along with a little thank you gift.

I texted them the other day and told them I have some pretty neat updates on the wagoneer for them and that I think they'll be very pleased to hear what the future holds for it.

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

That's very cool!
yeah I'm looking forward to the weekend as well.
First the temperature is supposed to be back down into the 90s, and second I get to start working on this. :)

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

hey Flip. I'm into this gig. I'd like to donate some parts to charity. I have a nice 74-75 engine wiring harness and a original type coil and clamp. I'll trade for your rat's nest engine harness and aftermarket Mallory coil. I'll pay the shipping both ways. All you have to do is pull the junk and throw it in a $10 flat rate box. You can even keep the harness, all I really want are the t- connectors and end connectors for the loom cover. I'll send you my nicer stuff and a $10 to cover.

PM me if interested

You have a points distributor and a ballast resistor. I don't believe the original was electronic. I may even have a distributor cap and wires I could throw in.

I know I have the Air tubes, pump, gulp diverter and hoses for a later model. I'm not sure if they are the same. There is an earlier model wag in the yard close to me. I could check there for you.
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

Topic author
Flip

Post by Flip »

Hey CJB, that would be awesome. Thanks! I'll send you a PM.

You are correct, it is a points style distributor. It appears that the original owner cut the resistor wire to install the aftermarket coil, but went back to a standard coil sometime down the line, and installed the external ballast resistor instead of reconnecting the resistor wire.

Once it's back to OEM config, I'll probably install a Pertronix for driveability, and put a new point set & condenser in a baggy for the new owner.
#3 Driver allows for little reversible changes like this :)

Really like this category of restoration. :-bd

Topic author
Flip

Started for the first time

Post by Flip »

Replaced the heater hose that the mice had chewed in half, and topped off the coolant.
Pulled the old plugs, sprayed the cylinders with PB Blaster, and turned the engine over by hand a half dozen revolutions. Turned pretty free. found a mix bag of spark plugs Champion and Autolite. All were fuel fouled, but no signs of oil burning. :)
Checked the coil, and it was the wrong type (internally resisted).

So, repaired the mice damaged wiring, and also some of the previous owner hacks. Spun the engine over for a bit via the starter, with the plugs out to circulate the oil.
Installed new Spark Plugs, Plug Wires, Ignition coil. Put some fresh gas in the carb, and ran a long piece of fuel line from the fuel pump into a Jerry can of good gas.
Took a bit to get it to start, but when it started, it was quick to settle into an idle. Sounds like it's running on about 6 cylinders. So either I have the firing order wrong, or there is something mechanical (stuck valve, broken ring).
Couldn't let it run for more than about 30 seconds because one of the transmission cooler lines sprung a leak, and started spraying out transmission fluid.

Tomorrow the transmission line will get fixed, and hope to run it longer, to see if that dead cylinder(s) comes back on it's own.

All in all a successful day. Tried to get a video, but the phone kept falling over due to the wind. Maybe tomorrow. :)

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Cool! If you need anything from the 74 TSM lemme know. Glad it ended up with someone who is going to put this much work into it.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Flip

Random shots from today's work

Post by Flip »

Here are some random shots from today, and a video that will hopefully make you laugh...

Thought this would be a good idea to add a bit to being a "shade tree" mechanic. :D

Old plugs pulled out. I think they had running and starting issues trying to use the wrong coil. Internally resisted coil, along with the resistor wire in the harness really cuts down on spark quality.

Ready to start. Need to get some plug wire separators. Looking for the original set that go on the valve covers.

After starting I heard this hissing noise... Aaaahhh, it's bleeding! :shock:

Everything was going great right up until... now. :geek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jOr-eb1hGc