Mike's 82 Chief

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Mrpatatomoto

Re: Mike's 82 Chief

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

Got some little stuff done today. Not the original goal but Vacuumed out the cowl, got the window wash fluid sprayer working (soaking the ends in CLR since they are plugged) 4WD indicator working cleaning the radiator over flow bottle since its a little dirty.

Original goal was to get the reverse lights figured out and it needs a new switch
1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

Topic author
Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

Took it on the freeway for the first time today, did better than expected, got up to 75 without and wobbles or bangs. Will take a lot of getting used to not having any power though, I'm usually driving sports cars and shoot off the line instead of rolling off the line.

Still having issues with the 208 that's on this thread http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 167#p74167

Topic author
Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

Yay new(to me) tires, But... When they took a lug nut off part of one of the wheel studs came off with it, is it possible to replace wheel studs or so i have to replace the whole disc? The discs are in pretty good condition.

How do I get rid of the infernal tailgate rattle? I put new weather stripping on and that didn't change anything. I think its the lifter bar that's rattling against the window but I'm afraid that if I bend it so it wont ill screw up the window. is the bar (passenger side) supposed to have a bow to it? or be completely straight? It has a bow towards the window right now.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Mrpatatomoto wrote:Yay new(to me) tires, But... When they took a lug nut off part of one of the wheel studs came off with it, is it possible to replace wheel studs or so i have to replace the whole disc? The discs are in pretty good condition.

How do I get rid of the infernal tailgate rattle? I put new weather stripping on and that didn't change anything. I think its the lifter bar that's rattling against the window but I'm afraid that if I bend it so it wont ill screw up the window. is the bar (passenger side) supposed to have a bow to it? or be completely straight? It has a bow towards the window right now.
Hello Mike! Looking good so far.
You can get those 7/16" wheel studs at NAPA or other parts houses cheaply. When in doubt tell em it's a Chevy 1/2 ton if the parts guy looks at you crosseyed when you say "Jeep". It's the same stud used on GM 6-hole discs. Drive out the backside with a long steel drift. You can tap the new stud in till the spline are aligned then drive it all the way in with a press or BFH and a drift.

The rear window thing is common. Often the lifter bar binds against the lifter arms because the bar is not straight and the side channel felts are gone. The more you raise/lower the glass the more bending and tweaking goes on. I've tried many fixes and finally gave up and ordered a full tailgate renew kit.
I was a Tech at a Jeep dealership for a few years and replaced many lifter bars and from memory they were straight in all 3 dimensions.
The parts room gave us two of the round clips, the lifter bar and a long strip of grey rubberized material. We would lay the material into the channel of the bar then press it to the glass and finish by tapping it in with a rubber mallet. I recall this being the easiest part of the job.

Good luck and keep after it!

Jim
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

Thanks! I thought they should be replacable but looking at BJ's it looked like they weren't.

I have new side channels, I figured that was the issue but that didn't fix it. I realize now that I used the wrong part name, the part I think is banging on the window is the bar that goes from the handle to the latch. Not the lifter bar and that is what has a slight bow to it. I still have the mechanisms from the tailgate I pulled the window and felt strips out of I may break down and switch all that over and see if that gets rid of it.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Mrpatatomoto wrote:Thanks! I thought they should be replacable but looking at BJ's it looked like they weren't.

I have new side channels, I figured that was the issue but that didn't fix it. I realize now that I used the wrong part name, the part I think is banging on the window is the bar that goes from the handle to the latch. Not the lifter bar and that is what has a slight bow to it. I still have the mechanisms from the tailgate I pulled the window and felt strips out of I may break down and switch all that over and see if that gets rid of it.
You know, I forgot about that issue with the latch bars!
If the lift bar channels that the lift arms connect bend toward the back bumper the lift bar will run into it! I'm sorry I forgot about that one. I've had to remove the latch bars, latch and locks from the tailgate so I could straighten and strengthen them without adding an extra elbow to my forearms. Was much easier on the body and attitude.

As far as the wheel studs go, your rotors must be different than mine. I changed out to longer studs and got them from the NAPA Dorman cabinet. Perhaps 79 and newer rotors changed and have non replacement studs :(

Jim

Topic author
Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

No, I believe your right, I havent looked at the ones on the Jeep just the ones on BJ's site im pretty sure they should be replaceable. Replaced them before on a 65 Valiant, should be the same basic job.

Gonna get some foam tape and try putting it on the bar and see if that stops it. Im lazy and really dont want to pull the bars out to straighten them...

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Mrpatatomoto wrote:No, I believe your right, I havent looked at the ones on the Jeep just the ones on BJ's site im pretty sure they should be replaceable. Replaced them before on a 65 Valiant, should be the same basic job.

Gonna get some foam tape and try putting it on the bar and see if that stops it. Im lazy and really dont want to pull the bars out to straighten them...
The problem with the foam tape method is you're likely going to still have the problem. Each time the window goes down and snags on the bar(s) they bend a little bit more. You can try a semi-cheater trick though.

Roll the window fully up and from the inside apply pressure with a medium sided pry bar moving the bars toward the rear bumper. If you can get a 2x4 block in there it helps. If you can find the point where the bars are bending you can straighten them enough to stop the binding.

Also, if you're not in a hurry, I'll be posting a complete tailgate renewal thread sometime after this Saturday (8/30) as my kit is expected to arrive in the morning sometime. Might be able to show you how to straighten the bars while they are still installed.

Here's a picture of the kit:

Take care!

Jim

Topic author
Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

The window doesn't bind at all, it goes up and down with no slowing or thunks, I posted earlier in the thread that it stopped part way up but replacing the felt sides fixed that. Right now it works perfectly just rattles unless the window is all the way up.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Mrpatatomoto wrote:The window doesn't bind at all, it goes up and down with no slowing or thunks, I posted earlier in the thread that it stopped part way up but replacing the felt sides fixed that. Right now it works perfectly just rattles unless the window is all the way up.
DUUUH!
My Bad!
So much for paying attention.

Topic author
Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

Okay, Also posted in my MPG thread but after more thought this should probably go here. Unless I can find used gears, which to me seems like a bad idea , I'm looking at about 200 bucks per axle before having a shop put them in since I don't have presses. Looking at 14bolt/dana60's they are about $250 locally but 8 lug so I would need wheels or convert to 6 lug. Which one seems like the better option? Staying with the 258 for the foreseeable future since funds will not allow a engine swap but i would still like to improve drivability and I think gears will do that.

Its Late, I'm Tired, I may have missed something obvious, Let me know what you all think.