Wagooner 1965 's rebuild

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

44bz

Re: Wagooner 1965 's rebuild

Post by 44bz »

You can't but the prestolite starter new and the listings on rockauto won't work. The gear reduction starter is good if it works. I have a used one I got from a member on ifsja but went back to the original starter because I couldn't get it mesh with the flywheel right. There are a couple originals on eBay right now. I had mine rebuilt 5yrs ago and it's been reliable ever since. They don't like heat so I wrapped mine in a heat shield due to being so close to the manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

44bz wrote:You can't but the prestolite starter new and the listings on rockauto won't work. The gear reduction starter is good if it works. I have a used one I got from a member on ifsja but went back to the original starter because I couldn't get it mesh with the flywheel right. There are a couple originals on eBay right now. I had mine rebuilt 5yrs ago and it's been reliable ever since. They don't like heat so I wrapped mine in a heat shield due to being so close to the manifold.

how come the rockauto starter will not my engine ???
Jeep Wagoneer 1965 4dr 327

44bz

Wagooner 1965 's rebuild

Post by 44bz »

The starter you linked from rockauto isn't a prestolite starter and has the solenoid mounted to it so it likely wouldn't fit in there anyway. There isn't much room for the starter itself, probably why the solenoid was mounted on the inner fender. Really the only option for the 327 is the gear reduction unit or rebuilding an original.
http://www.autoelec.com/html/jeep_amc_3 ... arter.html

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

isn 't it the original solenoid ? if yes, how come it is still connected cos my mini starter got one solenoid too ??

thanks for helping

Jeep Wagoneer 1965 4dr 327