Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

fulsizjeep

Re: Big Orange Cherokee

Post by fulsizjeep »

Nice project! :-bd Is it orange or red?

I am guessing the front driveshaft has detonated at some point and wreaked havoc on the floor pan.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

will e

Post by will e »

I like the armadillo story better.. ;)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Hood is off. Moving along. Decision time on intake and carb. I would like the Edelbrock intake. Does that need a cam change to take advantage of or is the intake an improvement on its own? I have a full TBI setup sitting in the garage. Or, I can go with another Holley T/A. Lots of thoughts on both I know. This will not be a rock crawler. Just need a little schooling on the intake question. Thanks!

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The Edelbrock performer will do well with the stock camshaft and a 600 CFM carb. With a stock AMC, the Edelbrock will start making itself known in the higher RPM ranges. Of course a better cam profile would be nice, but it's not needed for general use.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

fulsizjeep wrote:Nice project! :-bd Is it orange or red?

I am guessing the front driveshaft has detonated at some point and wreaked havoc on the floor pan.
It was red. Still trying to decide on a color.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Tatsadasayago wrote:The Edelbrock performer will do well with the stock camshaft and a 600 CFM carb. With a stock AMC, the Edelbrock will start making itself known in the higher RPM ranges. Of course a better cam profile would be nice, but it's not needed for general use.
Good to know! Thanks. I am trying to get it road ready and pass emissions soon.

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

Started pulling the old exhaust. Purchased a Y pipe, magnaflow Cat, and a Flowmaster series 50 muffler.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

az chip wrote:Started pulling the old exhaust. Purchased a Y pipe, magnaflow Cat, and a Flowmaster series 50 muffler.

Here is the progress so far. Doing it myself. Just because I want to learn stuff. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

orange

Post by orange »

Damn I want that style Grille
If you decide to go to the Rhino style grille
Please keep me in mind for that grille
Thanks

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I am keeping my rhino grille for a future truck project.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

A standard performer is arguably the best intake you can get for an AMC V8. The Performer RPM is great for the AMX crowd, but you need a lot more cam and carb to make it work right.

With a stock or mild cam the standard performer will be a huge boost over the stock intake.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

MGoins

Post by MGoins »

Where did you get the premade Y pipe? I caught my self looking for one I need whole new exhaust thought it would save some Dinero to do it myself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MGoins

Post by MGoins »

Subscribed good thread

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I got mine from Summit. You can find it several places. Should be around 65.00. I am mounting tomorrow will let you know how it goes.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Stuka wrote:A standard performer is arguably the best intake you can get for an AMC V8. The Performer RPM is great for the AMX crowd, but you need a lot more cam and carb to make it work right.

With a stock or mild cam the standard performer will be a huge boost over the stock intake.

Thanks Stuka. Working on finding one. 338.00 is a little steep.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Got the old exhaust out. Just took some time to not break bolts. Some of the studs came out with the nuts. They have those at NAPA? I also spent time spraying every nut with PB Blaster on the spring shackles for the upcoming lift

And what is this and do I need it?
ImageImageImage

1981 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

fulsizjeep wrote:Nice project! :-bd Is it orange or red?

That would be the right answer. The facts are as follows, non standard 129 transfer case, all new wiring from firewall to back of vehicle, and huge bump in floor.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

That is your heat riser valve. It remains closed to force hot exhaust through the intake manifold to aid in warm up. Once it is warm it opens for normal exhaust operation. It is and isn't needed. You can either wire it open or gut it but it needs to be there for the exhaust y-pipe to line up correctly.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Yes NAPA will have the studs. Just make sure you get the ones for Jeep and nut Chevy. Chevy studs are smaller on the nut end. If possible gget the wider brass nuts while you are there. They are easier to take off after heat cool cycle.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Thanks guys. Info noted.