Questions About my Buick 350 Brackets and Manifolds

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

My 70 J4800 came with the Buick Dauntless 350. I have a couple questions that I'm hoping some of you can help me out. I've googled, and searched or at V8Buick, but am not 100% on what I need.

I need to put the accessory brackets on. All I have is what looks like a home made a/c compressor bracket, but then again, I've found a few factory items that kind of look home made.
I believe I need the power steering pump bracket for the right side of the block. My pump has the two "ear" bolted to it, just not the mounting bracket that bolts to the block.
I'm thinking that the alternator needs the adjustable arm that will attach to the alternator and down between the lower arm and the water pump where there is about 1.25" gap.
Does that sound right, and does anyone know of a source for these items?

I also have a question about the exhaust manifolds. I have the stock manifolds that are in good shape. I planned on using them, but am thinking of headers. I know all about the bang for buck arguements, but am curious to see if anyone is running them, what they think and if there are any clearance issues.
Last edited by glake on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Jeep Gladiator: Daily Driver!
1963 Jeep Wagoneer: In progess
1972 Jeep Wagoneer: waiting in the wings

lkmarsh

Re: Questions About my Buick 350 Brackets and Manifolds

Post by lkmarsh »

The factory combination AC/power steering pump mount looks homemade for sure. One ugly mess. If you don't need A/C
you can use the OEM brackets from Buick cars. I got lucky and scored all of them at once at a swap meet. Nobody knew what the
parts were supposed to fit. If I can find it I'll post pics of the Jeep mount. You can see the Buick parts on eBay, kinda pricey
but they are available. There are other Buick forums to look into, but I've had good luck finding most of what I need on V8Buick.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Holy cherry pickers batman! Look at the size of that cherry! Sorry couldn't resist. That's one bright engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That bracketry looks just like the setup on my 69 LeSabre with the 350.
I always thought it was home made too LOL.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

Thought I would update what I came up with in case anyone else ever has the same question. I went to the pick and pull and found a 1984 Buick Regal 3.8 V6 with A/C. All of the brackets bolted right up to my 1970 Buick 350. The Regal had the addition of an air pump/smog pump that I did not need mounted above the power steering pump, so I cut that bracket off. The only issue was that the bracket bolt spread for the alternator was a bit too wide. The 140 amp alternator I bought was listed for an 84 Regal, but it looks like the adjustable mounting wing on the alternators have been shortened since 84. I corrected this by using part of the air pump bracket. Both the stock belts for the ps pump and the a/c compressor fit perfectly. The belt for the alternator needed to be a few inches longer.

A note for anyone that may ever do this; be sure to get all of the pulleys, including the ones on the water pump and balancer. Also, check the ones on the alternator, compressor and ps pump. The one that came on my alternator was a different V width so I had to change it. The remanufactured AC compressor's pulley I bought from O'Reilly's was correct, and I took the ps pump from the Regal, but am going to replace it since I found that it leaks. A reman pump was not that much more than buying the kit to rebuild it.

The belts I used were:
Alternator = 3/8” x 48-3/4” OC or 10mm x 1238mm OC
Compressor = 3/8”x52-1/8” OC or 10mm x 1323mm OC
PS Pump = 3/8” x 38-1/8” OC or 10mm x 967mm OC

With the elimination of the air pump I have an additional ring on the water pump pulley. I'm going to explore the possibility of adding a York compressor converted to an air compressor.

The short adjustable bracket is from the air pump mount.
Last edited by glake on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Good write up and great pics. Love the Chevy pickup sneaking in there too. The V6 timing cover also swaps over.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

Old subject but would like to know if that compressor hit the battery?
You really are judged by the dogs you have!

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

swampedge wrote:Old subject but would like to know if that compressor hit the battery?
I didn't use the stock battery tray. I moved it.
Last edited by glake on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

That's exactly what I started doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really are judged by the dogs you have!