Seat idea

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
LMJ20

Seat idea

Post by LMJ20 »

Ok bear with me, This may be a case of way overthinking this and if someone has a better option I would love to hear it.

I have been thinking about my seating options for a while and cant seem to find exactly what I want.
So my solution is to modify the seats from a ford ranger.
I like the ranger seats over some others because they dont have the large side bolsters. And seeings as I will be using the senter console/seat for my son some times I dont want the bolsters of the two seats making it uncomfortable for him
I like the part of the seat that comes up to the sholders but I do not like the headrest part.
So my plan is to cut the headrest off, which I know will involve the frame part that is in there.
Then would be re-upolstry, If i could find some stock black leather seats im hoping the upolster can just redo the inner pannels in a vertical pleating with the 2 white stripes on the outside.
Here is a pic kind of ilustrating what im thinking.

And since i plan to save some money by picking these up used and we will have the leather off, i figured we could do something fancy with the foam.
I have been reading up on memory foam alot and think having a cussion with something like 90%memory foam with a 10% regualr foam on top.
The reason for the regualr foam topper is to give it the initial cussion insted of the brick like feel of the memory foam before it warms up.
Also the regualr foam would aid in keeping your back a little cooler as i have read that memory foam can get really hot on your skin.
The regualr foam is also much easier to form as compared to the memory foam.

This is definetly a project that would be well into the future and i'm probably getting way to carried away with it but what do you guys think?

ScottsMojo

Re: Seat idea

Post by ScottsMojo »

Sounds like a plan but personally I would opt to leave the headrests on the seats. In the event of a rear-ender, those go a long way saving your melon...

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I actually did that same mod already to a set of wrangler seats for my Jeepster tribute.

I sliced the seam, cut the plate, foamed the gap and hand sewed it back together for a mid back bucket.

I then just bought some seat covers for mid backs and it worked out. I do realize that I'd be in a world of hurt in a rear end collision, but the odds are stacked against that. I am usually the one hitting others! Lol, at least backing up in the parking lot.

Topic author
LMJ20

Post by LMJ20 »

wow, thats cool!
Do you have any pictures of it?
I would love to see them.
Im not totaly set on the ford ranger seats, i just figured i could use those becuase i also want to incorporate the ranger rear jump seats into my planned extended cab. (whenever that happens)

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I don't remember what kind of jeep- tj I think, they came out of but the seats were pretty cheap, though.

I couldn't find the backing plate I took out, but I did use a standard cut off wheel to remove it.

The mod would work on any high back seat.

lindel

Post by lindel »

66stepside wrote:I don't remember what kind of jeep- tj I think, they came out of but the seats were pretty cheap, though.

I couldn't find the backing plate I took out, but I did use a standard cut off wheel to remove it.

The mod would work on any high back seat.

TJ Sahara, early model.
Lindel

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

That explains the green and brown combo- and the factory pockets in the back. They are VERY comfy!

Topic author
LMJ20

Post by LMJ20 »

I like that alot.
Do those have the lil lever that allows the seat to lean all the way forward to let people climb in the back seat. I'm assuming yes if they came out of a TJ.
I only ask because my future plans are for an extended cab, but no extra doors. I figured a cab stretch would be much easier and a but sturdier if it did not include adding a door.
Because of this design the seats would need to fold forward to allow people to climb in the back seat.

lindel

Post by lindel »

The black cloth tab you see is connected to a lever that allows the seat back to fold forward, and releases the seat mechanism so that the whole seat moves forward as well. Gives good enough access that a "less than flexible" geezer like me can climb in the back with minimum fuss. Even with a 4" lift.
Lindel