Lift Kits, Rusty's Offroad vs. Skyjacker. What Say You?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

RamJetFSJ

Re: Lift Kits, Rusty's Offroad vs. Skyjacker. What Say You?

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Jeff from Iowa wrote:4" rustys,too stiff.

I have skyjacker on the way now, if this doesn't do it Ill coil spring the front. Its a sunday driver and I want it to ride much closer to stock than it has so far.
Did you ever get the Skyjacker springs installed? Would be interested in your experience w/ them versus the Rustys...
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
Road Hammer

Post by Road Hammer »

Hey RamJet,

No, the kit is sitting in my garage, waiting on me. I have had other fish to fry when it comes to my Cherokee. I am still sorting our mechanical and electrical issues after getting it back from the engine build. As the weather cools, the lift is my fall project and so I hope to start on it soon.
MarkB...

Bold Springs, GA.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
1988 Jeep Comanche Sport Truck

BIG JEEPS ARE KOOL!!!

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Ha, Totally understand that. It only took me 11 years to get mine on the road finally. Would love to hear about it if and when it does happen.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Thought I would add a bit to my comments above. I was in the same boat, purchased the Rustys lift and wasnt happy with the ride. Very harsh and bouncy ride, to the point I was considering purchasing the Skyjacker kit instead. Since then I have replace my original shackle bushings, and it has significantly increased the ride quality. Gone is the bone jarring speed bumps, and wild bouncy rides at low speeds. I am now very happy with my Rustys lift, and glad I didnt shell out another grand to upgrade it. It may not be as smooth as a Skyjacker kit, but, to me, its just fine for a lifted truck. So, dont forget to change those shackle bushings when you install you lift. The added arch of the springs increase the throw of the shackles, which I think multiplies the problem (where it may not have been noticeable with the stock flat leaves.

PS a cheapo Harbor Freight or similar ball joint press makes short work of pressing in the bushings

Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

I have a 4" hellcreek on my 75 Cherokee (only manuafacturer except custom for the weirdo 74&75). It rides great and smooth, however the back sits a touch lower than the front and has since I put it on (10,000+ miles on the lift now). On my 80 j10 I bought a used Skyjacker lift and it's much stiffer than the hellcreek. It doesn't have many miles on it as the wagoneer it came off probably never drove before it was parted (stickers still on the springs) and the J10 went under the knife for the sportside conversion and probably has 500 miles on it. I am hoping they soften up with mileage.
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav