What Do You Think of These Mods?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
cliff54

What Do You Think of These Mods?

Post by cliff54 »

Looking to purchase an 87 Wag locally (North Florida) and I found one with a Dodge 208 t-case. Owner says he removed the original Q-Track and replaced it with the Dodge unit. First, are there any concerns using a Dodge case? And two, I thought the Q-Track was long gone by 87. I thought they came with the 229 case. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The owner (a mechanic) also has a TH700R4 he was going to swap in place of the 727, and is offering to do the swap for me if I buy it. Sounds great having the OD, and I understand the 700 is pretty stout. Any opinions?

Cliff

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: What Do You Think of These Mods?

Post by Stuka »

The 229 was standard.

A dodge 208 can be put in, but the clocking is wrong which results in it hanging really low. Makes me wonder if its actually an FSJ 208.

The 700r4 will require an adapter to the engine, does he have it? It may also require a t-case adapter. Cannot recall the spline count on the 700. Early 700's had a design flaw that caused them to have issues. Later ones were fine. They are based on the TH350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT: Fixed typo :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

That should be clocking and not clicking (if anyone is confused)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

An adapter from Novak will take care of the clocking issue; perhaps that was done. You can tell just by lookin'.

I did a 700R4 swap and had to use a GM input shaft on the Jeep NP208. I don't know what would be necessary for a Dodge unit.

I've read that an '87-up 700R4 is best. They can be built to take big horsepower so if you can verify that it might be worth it.

How's the rest of the truck?

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The Dodge unit is passenger's side drop. If you flip it to LH drop, the oiler won't lube the bearings. It's also 23 spline whereas the Chev trans will be 10 (QT), 27 or 32 spline (GM) By the time you get all the adapters, driveshafts, etc done, you may as well buy an Atlas
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
cliff54

Post by cliff54 »

Thanks for all the info. The rest of the GW is good, not as good as I hoped but it has some desirable mods already done - Edelbrock imtake and carb, 4" lift, etc.