Need wiper motor wiring help, please

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
budojeepr

Need wiper motor wiring help, please

Post by budojeepr »

I've rewired my '72 Wagoneer with an eBay harness. One of the last things I have to do on it is the wiper wiring (also the only thing left holding me back from driving it!).

However, I can't quite figure out what goes where...it seems I have almost but not quite enough information.

First, I've verified the motor works by using the bench-testing diagram in the TSM.

Second, the harness diagram at oljeep.com (http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/72/72wire_dash.jpg) says "Wiper-Washer Switch Term. #1 to Wiper Motor Term. #1". The problem is I don't know which tab is which "Term". I think I've figured out the switch, but the motor has me befuddled. The manual doesn't label the terminals and they're not labeled on the motor or switch. I'm losing too many fuses testing it!

On the motor, looking at it from the front of the jeep, from right to left, I have:

a. Two terminals connected together
b. One more terminal
c. A space
d. One more terminal

for a total of four terminals (plus only one on the washer motor which I think the PO sourced elsewhere).

Can anybody tell me which terminal is which? One way would be to link my letter above to an item number in the 72wire_dash.jpg diagram...

Thanks in advance!

ScottsMojo

Re: Need wiper motor wiring help, please

Post by ScottsMojo »

What color are the wires in your harness?

Below is the color coding according to the 74 model. I believe its the same as the 72.

30 16 YELLOW WIPER SWITCH TO WASHER MOTOR
31 14 BLUE WIPER SWITCH TO WIPER MOTOR NO. 1
32 14 BLUE W/TR WIPER SWITCH TO WIPER MOTOR NO. 3
33 14 RED W/TR IGNITION ACCESSORY TO WIPER MOTOR NO. 2

Looking the the photo, it looks like the wires are from the top Red w/tr, blue, blue w/tr and the yellow goes to the washer pump.
Hope that helps.

Topic author
budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

Great info, thanks! I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow night. I'll try to get a reasonable picture for comparison.

Out of curiosity (and the strange desire to get it right), does anyone have a shot of the switch with wires attached? Don't go taking your dash apart just for this!!

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

budojeepr wrote:Great info, thanks! I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow night. I'll try to get a reasonable picture for comparison.

Out of curiosity (and the strange desire to get it right), does anyone have a shot of the switch with wires attached? Don't go taking your dash apart just for this!!
I will take a pic of the switch connector tonight when I get home. Its in the open easy to get to on my parts rig.

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Here are the connectors @ the switch. Yellow and blue on the two way connector, blue w/white tracer on the single.

Topic author
budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

That. Is. Perfect.

Thank you.

Hopefully I can get out there this evening. You may have heard...we got a bit of rain last week. A few miles up the road at O'Brien Mtn they got almost 30" (yes thirty inches) in just 7 days. We only got about 10" at my house. Supposed to dry out some this weekend.

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Glad to help. 30" is a lot of rain and we've had some of those 10" storms so I know what it's like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

OK. I'm starting to put it together. I saved your full-res photo from Flickr, chopped out the wiper motor, and scaled it up. Using your description of which color wire goes to which terminal, coupled with the photo, I numbered the terminals on the motor. I hope I'm correct, or I'll be blowing more fuses...

Here's my stick drawing of the back of my switch. I numbered the terminals randomly.

Switch to motor:
1 to 3
2 to 1
3 to washer

Then switched +12V to motor 2.

So far, so good?

By the way, my motor has one more terminal, to the driver side, than yours. I'll post a pic later today, hopefully.

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

I found some schematics that will probably help you quite a bit.

I will look at your logic above in a bit...

Topic author
budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

ScottsMojo wrote:I found some schematics that will probably help you quite a bit.

Me, too, vis-a-vis your images above.

However, it all works! I have low speed, high speed, and the parking function works! Yay! Thanks for the help!

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

budojeepr wrote:
ScottsMojo wrote:I found some schematics that will probably help you quite a bit.

Me, too, vis-a-vis your images above.

However, it all works! I have low speed, high speed, and the parking function works! Yay! Thanks for the help!
:-bd :-bd