stopped dead

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
glad64

stopped dead

Post by glad64 »

I have just started to swap out a worn 232 i6 and put a 304 out of a cj 5 into a 66 j 2000 ! Motor mount perches are to tall motor wont set low enough? i was told i6 and v8 have differnt perches and to unboth and switch them! They are welded and rivited! So now im stopped dead in my tracks and need someone to give advice for my next move!Tryin to save cash and use parts i already have but thats lookin impossible!thanks for all help

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: stopped dead

Post by Stuka »

Yes, the i6 and V8 motor mounts are VERY different. Basically you would need to grind off the welds and the rivets to remove the old ones, and bolt/weld the new ones in place.

No easy way around it. Changing to a V8 is also going to move the transmission and transfer case forward several inches. This will result in the shifters inside moving, as well as possibly needing new drive shafts. In factory V8 FSJ's there is a spacer between the transmission and the bell housing to push things back.

If you are swapping an automatic in as well then the shifters are less of an issue, but the drive shafts will have to change most likely :(
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The motor mounts have a weld across the top and the rest is bolted to the inside of the frame behind where the shock mounts go (at least on later ones) and uses 3 of the same bolts
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

A 4" grinder with cutoff wheel for the welds and a good air hammer for the rivets, and you'll be done in 30 mins. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/